Pets Who Own Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets Who Own Us

OK, I think this has been done before, maybe even I did it, but I like the idea. Pets are known to help us in so many ways; lower blood pressure, reduce depression, slow dementia, etc. It's great to come here and have real people (OK, cyber people!) to talk to, but a pet is always there. Let's talk about ours. And I challenge all those whose names I see each day who have visited, but not joined in, to tell something here. You don't have to interact. Just tell a story of one of God's creatures who has been in your life. I'll start. Today, I'm holding Hubs Jack Ass Russell Terrier, Sadie, fresh from her bath. I just groomed (again!) my Yorkie, Tinkerbelle, and a while ago mixed the 'custom' dinner for our big dogs, Gator (Australian Cattle dog) and The Might Berit, my beloved Rottie. They are petted, pampered, well-travelled, GORGEOUS, but I can never repay what they bring to my life, even when they make me crazy with their barking. Come on, FETCH! It's your turn. :dog: :catroll:
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Pets Who Own Us

We got a new dog in September. She is a rescue dog - sweet, smart and beautiful. We had our old Russell put down in April. The house was SO empty. Now, there are dog toys strewn everywhere! Many of them were not originally intended as dog toys, but now they are! We just love her. I am enjoying using clicker training with her. That's a new concept since our last new dog. The book by Peggy Tillman is excellent.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Sun, I'm thinking of baseball bat training for Hub's Sadie! LOL Of course, I love her to pieces, but after 6 years, she still makes me NUTZ!!!!!!!!!
      sigpic
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

I am my dogs man servent !! ha! ( ACE is doing well....back to his nasty shelf again ! ha! ) IAD
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Great topic--my 6 dogs are all around me as I am typing. Four of the 6 are rescues, and 2 I inherited from children. My Bunny is a beautiful silver weimer who just this summer developed diabetes and became totally blind. She now has silver eyes to match her fur. She gets 2 insulin shots a day and is keeping me busy with the mop everyday because she doesn't like to be outside where she can't see. Virginia and Ramona are dachsunds and then Maggie is a small spaniel mix. Daisy, a bassett hound, was rescued from a family that let their young son shoot at her with his bb gun. She has had 4 ruptured disks and been paralyzed twice but I was able to rehab her after surgery and cortisone treatments. These are all inside dogs that are my constant companions after work. Then I have Dolly, a black lab mix who will not come inside, even though I try. She feels her job is to guard the house all night and all day and alerts the others when to start barking! She is always waiting right where I left her before going off to school even though I know she has been busy chasing off the squirrel brigade all day.Needless to say, I have several bedmates at night.

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

By the way, I am the only one that is trained.

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

These stories are so real. Someone should make a book out of them.

I have plenty stories of my own. All of ours have been rescues, often unintentional rescues, but we don't turn away what is put in our path.

I had a stray cat who decided to live with me and made it clear he wanted to write (I have photos to prove it). He charmed all the two-leggers with his penchant for sleeping upside down and backwards in their laps, head hanging down to the floor, snoring and purring at the same time.

And we have one kitty who lost 2 legs to cancer, and still drags herself across the floor with glee to meet her friends, both furry and otherwise.

We have a sweet gentle lab-terrier we got from the shelter who becomes disconsolate when he hears the sound of horns or trumpets or bugles... what happened to that poor soul that made him so frightened of that sound?

I often think of children when I see these wonderful creatures who bring us so much joy without demanding much care. Why do we not treat our children in the same way? (Maybe they demand more? Or maybe WE demand more?)

Regardless, I think one of the best things we can do for our children is to teach them the love for, and respect of, animals.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Wonderful, wonderful!!! I can't watch the TV commercials for animial rescue, tho I know how important they are. My daughter and I started the Junior Humane society in this county in the late 80's. I've no compunction about calling in complaints about abuse, or anything I see myself. I love to watch the prison studies of inmates who are given the 'gift' of working with animals, and see the transition, most marked in the prisoners. Thank you all, and keep it coming! You are God's angels.
                sigpic

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

These are not pets, but I have also become so fascinated with elephants! There are sanctuaries--one in Tennessee and one in California that take elephants who have been performers, mistreated, kept in solitary and unnatural situations for decades, and place them in beautiful areas where they can roam in groups and live out their final years with dignity and freedom. Elephants are extremely intelligent and social and these places allow them to heal from past traumas. The stories are so amazing.

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

thanks ewaz... here's proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59v3PmKp-5Y[/video]]YouTube - Elephant & Dog
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Hi
                      I consider myself a very well trained dog owner, I have two old mongrels, both rescue dogs who were abandoned together because they committed the terrible crime of getting old, they were 9 and 12 years old when I got them many years ago. They are still going strong and enjoy their walks, although they need a bit more help nowadays, and I need more carpet cleaner, but thats OK, as I said I'm well trained. At the moment I am getting pathetic looks as I am typing and not getting ready for a walk over the fields. Better go and do as I am told.

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

I have 4 rescue cats. They have all found me. (I think it's that sign over my doorway that says "sucker lives here, drop off all your strays") My old Diva cat is 12 and rules the household. She sleeps under the covers with me at night, and HB has been trained not to move around too much and disturb her.

Ruby-I'm going to be doing some volunteer work at our SPCA this winter. How did you start the Junior Humane Society where you live? It's sounds like a great idea. Not just something to help the animals but also the kids.
                        AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

It was a while ago, lil. My daughter did it in JR HI. I would check in with your local Humane Society, or any animal groups, then with the schools. I LOVE the stories of dogs who are taken to prison for training with the inmates. It is considered SUCH a priviledge by the prisoners to be able to work with the animals, (or maybe its the other way around). To me, that is one of the most practical answers to calming down our overcrowded prisons and the unwanted pet population.
                          sigpic

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Just found this, very cool. I've been painting (almost) all my life, but this is a neat idead, and another good way to keep our hands busy and away from evil thoughts. (LOL)
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQvERQoHvgg[/video]]YouTube - How to paint your pets portrait
                            sigpic

Comment

Pets Who Own Us

Thanks Rubs-I will check into that with the SPCA. And also, thanks for the link. I've already saved it. This is my first af winter not working so looking for ways to keep those hands busy.

I've seen a new program advertised here where paroles work with bit bulls. I'm interested to see what that's all about.

Okay, ready for more pet stories!!
                              AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X