No buying wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No buying wine

So last night was the first night in a long time I limited drinking. I know we are suppose to do a 30 day alcohol free but I am really hoping to make it through the holiday season with a moderation theme and then do a 30 day free after the 1st of the year. I believe I can do it as long as I keep the wine out of the house. Last night even though I did not buy any wine at the grocery I had 1/2 bottle left from the weekend. I had 2 glasses but drank VERY slowly with water in between and I was okay with that. This a.m. however I was a little more groogy than usual but figured that is probably coming off the hangover. There is now no wine in the house and my goal is to not buy any this week. It will be a day by day battle but for me I think this is key. For me the stress comes during dinner time when cooking, cleaning, bathing a 3 year old...I need to work through this though and there will be no wine tonight.

No buying wine

Hi HD,
    I know that stress while making dinner. Maybe if you think how good you will feel if you don't have wine afterwards? I think it's a good idea to avoid buying wine. If it's not there, you can't drink it. Hope your night goes well.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

No buying wine

hi happydays!

It has been a few months for me since I bought my last bottle of wine. I cannot tell you how much my life has changed for the better!! Was it easy? HELL no. it still is not, however I now can go a day or so without obsessing.

My trigger time was also the supper hour (although I wouldn't turn it down earlier either lol) I loved to get dinner ingredients going...and have my glass beside me. Didn't bother me if dinner took me an hour or two to make as it was "my" time. The longer it took to do..the more wine I had !!

You can DO this. In a matter of months I went from basically staying at my friends because my husband was so angry at me...brink of divorce...to back home, sober, working hard on my marriage with a loving and supportive husband, kids (adults) proud of their mum..lost almost 20 lbs back to my size 9 jeans!! WHHOO HOO...and finally taking care of myself again. I had let it all go to hell in a handbasket. FOR WHAT? hangovers..bloodshot eyes...stinky breath..weight gain...being decietful with my husband?

The other side is so much better than I remember it.

We are here for you.

Lynn

Comment

No buying wine

Hey happydays and everyone else...isn't it interesting how we all seem to enjoy our wine while cooking..that is where it started for me and then really progressed to a destructive level...I'm happy those days are behind me but donewithit is right,,it is sometimes really hard and tempting. The one thing I found is that my patience with my children is way up...I thought I was drinking to calm myself down and alleviate frustration,,but it was really the opposite. Now that I'm not drinking, little things don't seem to bother me as much...maybe you will find that to be true as well. Now instead of my glass of wine next to me while I cook,,it's the MWO website on the laptop! Good luck to you and stay close to the wonderful people here...
        Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

No buying wine

Thanks

Thanks for the words. I feel like if I had not signed up on this I would be heading in a REALLY bad direction. Kinda like my "secret" would be out and family, husband, and everyone else would be on me - and it would just be a mess. I have too many other good things going for me in my life to let this addiction take over. I am committed to not buying or keeping wine in the house. I need to do it for my daughter, my husband, my business and myself. Amazing how much work stuff / tedious stuff I also accomplished last night becaue I was not too tired (buzzed or drunk) from drinking. My dad completly gave up drinking about 2 years ago and has not had an ounce. His business has absolutely sky rocketed and I never thought he drank that much but just socially - I guess really how I "appear" to others. I will do this. I want another baby soon and I do not want to go back to drinking after I have another baby. So I need to fix this now and nip it in the bud before it gets worse. Thanks. I know I will be posting a lot over the next few weeks especially.

Comment

No buying wine

I can relate to what everyone says here...I loved to cook with a glass of wine (now I have a fizzy water with lemon) but more often that not would continue drinking after dinner.
            As Tassimo said I'm a much nicer Mummy (4yrs & 2yrs) and as Donewithit says being sober is so much better than I remember it.
            If I can, you can.

xo

Comment

No buying wine

Happy days, good for you nipping things in the bud sooner rather than later. That's a very encouraging story about your Dad!

Congratulations to all "dinner fixer drinkers" (I was one too - drank through nearly every activity LOL!) who have moved past that particular habit.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

No buying wine

Happy Days,

Good for you for taking the first steps! Believe me, we all struggle with those early associations with making dinner, being out with friends, etc., but like anything else it passes. If you feel you have a problem, you are doing your daughter a good service to stop now before she gets older and realizes what mom is doing.

I'm curious to know if you would ever feel comfortable asking your dad why he decided to quit. This could lead to an incredibly supportive discussion.

M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!
                :lilheart:

Comment

No buying wine

Making dinner w/ wine. So many are affected by this. I guess it was our time to "relax". The difference between us and normal drinkers is that the wine continued through the dinner, into the evening, checking the bottle to make sure there was enough to last the evening and then having a little panick after the wine store closed.

Like anything else, you get used to it. The idea still appeals to me. That's why I know I can't do it. Most people don't give it that much thought.

Good job on your plan. Your baby bean will much more enjoy her hands on Mommy!
                  AF since 2/4/10
                  Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                  FINALLY FREE

Comment

Working...
                  X