Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY interesting article

You can cut back on alcohol -- chicagotribune.com
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

VERY interesting article

This is an interesting article Dexter, thanks for posting it.
    I always find these a bit disturbing for me though, because I start to question whether I could ever be a moderate drinker, yet my bitter experience says no.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

VERY interesting article

yes, i agree, i mostly find it interesting that experts are finally starting to wake up to the fact that it's not "one size fits all," that the AA model isn't the only way ...
      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

VERY interesting article

Oh absolutely right. I am volunteering in an addiction agency now and they are not 12 step based also they dont stipulate abstinence for every client.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

VERY interesting article

Thanks for posting that. More ammo for the mind.

Comment

VERY interesting article

If I knew then what I know now.....

Part of me sees this and says "what if I'd done this at an earlier age.....?" The bahavioural changes I had to do to become and stay sober were a huge part of my sobriety. So much was unconscious habit, and I was surprised at that.

The other part of me says, "would I have been honest with myself - like about the fact I've got the genetics and other risk factors (and I damn well knew it, but chose to ignore it)?

That said, this is an excellent article, as long as our lying addict brains (and we do know who we are) really read it, and listen to what he says. Honesty with myself, that was what I can see now I was lacking for many, many years. My new mantra - "never lie to yourself". I'm with starty on this - my past experience is an indicator of my future experience. So I am AF.

Interesting post, dexter (and love your avatar!)
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

VERY interesting article

Thanks for the link Dexter. In reading the article, it's clear that I was WAY WAY past any of the suggestions of "drinkers who might be saved" parameters that they describe...... (but DANG! Like you starty, my alkie mind is always on the lookout for a moderation fantasy!!)

I DO agree that every drinker who goes through a phase of "heavy drinking" is not necessarily an addict to the point where abstention is really the only way out. I drank in college with LOTS of people who engaged in extremely risky drinking behavior for 4 straight years (more than the time length parameter of 12 months mentioned in this article) and "shaped up" on their own post-college. That's one example. I also have a close friend who was widowed at 40 years old. She went through a very rough time and abused alcohol for a couple of years at least. But she too healed and moved on without too much trouble.

I don't think it's really "news" that a huge population exists that can over drink for some period of time, and then cut back without a lot of trouble. I for sure far exceed the parameters mentioned for those who might be able to successfully cut back, and at the risk of stepping out of bounds here on the forum, I suspect most of us fall outside the parameters described....

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

VERY interesting article

Hi All, The study in the article that they are referring to comes from information published on the following National Institutes of Health website.

Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

This study has been getting a lot of press lately, and the press does not paint the full picture of the "alcohol use disorders" that the research speaks to. For example, the researchers have found that being an alcoholic is not "black or white" i.e., that you are not necesarily destined to be an alcoholic once you take your first drink, however, repeated abuse of alcohol can turn you into an alcoholic!

You will also find on this website that there are questionairres, etc. to help you determine whether you are at "high" risk. If I were to answer those questions 2 years ago, I would have been diagnosed an over the top alcoholic!!

M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!
                :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                X