Estradiol - Weirdest Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently had a fibroid removed from my uterus. After the surgery, my doctor prescribed 2 mg of Estradiol (Estrace) to be taken twice daily for 20 days. As soon as I began taking this medication, I completely lost my appetite as well as the craving for alcohol. I went from a bottle of wine a night to a glass or two that I am amazingly able to sip throughout the evening. I tried Topamax for quite awhile but I had to stop as the side effects were absolutely brutal. Also, I did not find that my craving for alcohol diminished while on Topamax. (granted I was only able to titrate up to 150mg) Obviously, I have not been taking the Estradiol for very long but I'm anxious to see it my cravings come back while on this medication. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I think it would be very interesting to share information on other medications we may take to treat other conditions that have a similar effect on our cravings.

that is so interesting. Please keep us posted as to how it continues to go. Maybe there are other drugs out there that those of us who have side effects from the topa could use....
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I am very interested because Topa gave me a bad saide effect with my eye once I hit a certain dosage and then it no longer worked for me. Let me know your progress please. Thank you! Camper.
      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Just Web Md'd It

It is estrogen therapy so anyone thinking of taking it should consult with doc and read web md. Definitely not to be taken lightly, pretty serious stuff. I won't be taking it unforunately. :upset:
        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Hi Happy:

Actually I wasn't suggesting that others begin taking Estradiol instead of Topamax. You are right. It is a very serious drug. I just found in interesting that one of it's side effets is the elimination of cravings. It made wonder if there may be other drugs out there that have a similar effect that can be taken regularly for those of us who have experienced problems withTopamax. Also, I wondered if anyone else out there happened to be taking Estradiol and if they experience similiar results. Or if anyone has an idea why taking this hormone might result in reduced cravings for alcohol and food.

Comment

I have experienced problems with Topa and was hoping for a magic pill, rats!

This may be a question for Dr. Garcia but I think if there were anything else we'd know about it! :upset:

Comment

Very interesting because I notice that during the first 14 days of my cycle (when my estrogen is at it's highest levels) my cravings are greatly reduced. It's a sharp contrast to when my estrogen levels are low during the last 14 days of my cycle when I crave alcohol terribly. Someone should do a study!! My body metabolises alcohol so much differently during the first 14 days, then during the last 14 days. If I drink during first 14 days (high estrogen levels) I get headaches...whereas when I drink during PMS (the last 14 days when estrogen is low) I rarely get headaches and can tolerate much more. Therefore, crave it much more also.

Comment

HappyCamper, Have you tried Campral?
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

Working...
                X