Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes me an alcoholic and not my friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. Im asking this question because i have a best friend who has known me for 30 years. She likes to drink too....infact she drinks more than me...every night a bottle of wine, sometimes more. I will have 5 days of nothing, then i will have a drink or 6. She does not seem to worry about her intake, whereas I am concerned about mine. None of my friends see that i have a problem...and i am entirely honest with them about how much i have. I guess its just an 'inner thing' with me....I am concerned because i feel like shit the next day when i have had too much. I have started to think about alcohol alot..and i mean ALOT. Im almost obsessed with my intake....so happy and proud of myself when i abstain and so mortified when i have too much. Also, why is it that sometimes i can have just a few drinks and other times i cant stop??? Its all so confusing.

Does anyone here understand what I'm saying? Maybe its the alcoholic in me that is trying to trick me and tell me its ok to drink....and drink! Or maybe I..along with all my friends and some family members all have a drink problem....oh well, if u have any thoughts on this...it would be greatly appreciated. All the best to you.

Bella XXXXx

Bella, you and I have been around the block. We KNOW what's going on. To really change, we can't look at others, we have to look into ourselves. It's not about anyone else. Envy, wishing, romancing the bottle DON'T work. It's come to the point of being all or nothing with us. It's time to take your own life, in your own hands, and worry about that. Only then can you find Bella, live, grow. Your friend has her own path, this is not a contest. Help is here, when you want to get down to basics, lov. This is about YOU, no one else.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

You are so right rubywillow.....Im annallising too much.(or however you spell it!!)..this has nothing to do with anyone else..just me. Thankyou for your wise words... B XXX

Comment

Bella,

I also have a friend like that....she drinks quite a bit, but does not consider herself with an alcohol problem. I just don't think she has come to the realization of it yet. Rubes is right though, just be concerned with yourself. Bella, I've seen you post in the past and I happy to see that you are now really looking at your problem and analyzing it. That is progress. I know there are steps to this....let see if I remember:

Denial
        Anger
        Bargaining/Analyzing
        Depression
        Acceptance

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

rubywillow;761304 wrote: Bella, you and I have been around the block. We KNOW what's going on. To really change, we can't look at others, we have to look into ourselves. It's not about anyone else. Envy, wishing, romancing the bottle DON'T work. It's come to the point of being all or nothing with us. It's time to take your own life, in your own hands, and worry about that. Only then can you find Bella, live, grow. Your friend has her own path, this is not a contest. Help is here, when you want to get down to basics, lov. This is about YOU, no one else.
          Beautifully said rubes! After reading Bella's post and then yours, I find you have spoken my thoughts so poetically. I needn't say anymore.:l
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Ruby said it so well. Take care of yourself. If AL isn't working for you and it's become an obsession, it's time to give it the boot. That time may come for your friend and it may not.

Winefree

Comment

Working...
            X