Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know this-important info for lungs

Hi everyone,

I haven't been feeling on top of my game lately..knew it HAD to be 'something'. This time of year I always plug in my humidifier as the weather tends to make the air drier, so I googled it, suspecting that may be the cause. Wow. Now I understand this has nothing to do with drinking, but I thought I'd let you read what I just found out. Just a warning I guess. Please read below-I thought cleaning a few times a season was enough-more like a few times a week...

Hazards Associated with Humidifiers

If humidifiers are not properly maintained, there can be problems associated with their use. These include:

Bacteria and fungi: These can grow in the tanks of portable and console humidifiers and get into the air by way of the mist where it can be breathed in. One bacterium in particular, Legionella pneumophila, is a concern since it is the cause of Legionnaires' disease. Health problems caused by these organisms range from flu-like symptoms to serious infection.

Other bacteria found in humidifiers that can cause major health problems are called thermophilic actinomycetes. These bacteria thrive at temperatures of 113?-140?F and have been associated with humidifier fever as well as hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is an inflammation of the lungs.

The young, the elderly, and those people with lung diseases or respiratory allergies may be particularly at risk to airborne pollutants like bacteria and fungi.

In order to tell if bacterial or fungal contamination may be a problem, look for a film or scum on the water surface, on the sides or bottom of the tank, or on exposed motor parts. That might indicate that bacteria or fungi are present. In addition, bacteria or fungi may grow on any crusty scale that may form in the tank.

White dust: This is from minerals in the water. These minerals may be released in the mist of the humidifier and settle as fine white dust that may be small enough to enter the lungs. The health effects of this dust would depend on the types and amounts of minerals in the water. Though the US government does not know if these minerals will cause any serious health problems, one should still be safe and use water with a lower mineral content and follow the manufacturer's recommendation for keeping your humidifier clean.

Preventing Humidifier Problems

Clean your humidifier daily: Clean daily to prevent the growth of bacteria, fungi and scale. Be sure to completely empty it and wipe all surfaces dry before you refill it. For Console humidifiers, follow the manufacturer's instructions for changing water in them. Be sure you unplug the humidifier from the electrical socket before emptying it and refilling it.

Use distilled water: The health impact of humidifiers depends a lot on the quality of water used in it. About 90 percent of compounds dissolved in water, including lead, aluminum, and asbestos, may be spewed by ultrasonic humidifiers as small particles that may result in chronic (long-term) respiratory problems. To prevent that, use distilled water in your humidifier to reduce the mineral content in the mist because distillation is the best way of removing minerals from water. Do not use tap water because it has a high mineral content?especially if you have well water. Even though distilled water may still contain some mineral content, it will probably have fewer minerals than tap water. It is important to know that not all bottled water has had the mineral taken out of it. For example, spring water, artesian water, and mineral water still contain these minerals that can lead to scale build-up and white dust.

Use demineralization cartridges or filters: Use filters if they are supplied or recommended for use with your humidifier. Be sure to change them regularly during heating season when you are using your humidifier more. Since it is not known how effective these cartridges or filters are in removing minerals, keep an eye out for white dust that would show that the minerals are not being removed. If your water has a high mineral content, it might be cheaper to use distilled water than to use these filters.

Drain, clean, and thoroughly dry your humidifier before you store it. Store it in a dry location. Before you use it again, be sure to clean it and wipe off any dust.

Clean your room humidifier well and often during the heating season, usually every third day. Follow the manufacturer's suggested cleaning methods. Some manufacturers recommend using diluted household bleach for cleaning and maintenance,usually a solution of ? cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Be sure to rinse the humidifier well several times to remove all traces of the bleach. If you don't, you might accidentally end up breathing in some of the chemical.

Use a brush or other scrubber to clean the tank. Be careful not to damage the motor or to scratch the inner surface. Clean or replace sponge filters or belts when needed.

If there are no specific recommendations on how to clean your unit, clean all surfaces with a three percent solution of hydrogen peroxide. Be sure to rinse the tank out thoroughly before using.

For central humidifiers mounted on the furnace, be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for cleaning and maintenance. Be sure not to allow water to stand in the tank for long periods and keep that water clean.

Keep steam vaporizer humidifiers out of the reach of children since the steam and boiling water may cause burns.

Buy a hygrometer to monitor interior humidity levels. Use only the amount of moisture you need. Some humidifiers contain a built-in humidistat that may be adjusted to the proper moisture level. If water condenses on windows, walls, or pictures, you should relocate the humidifier, lower its humidistat setting, or reduce its use.

Do not let the area around the humidifier get damp or wet. If dampness occurs, turn the humidifier down so not as much mist is coming out. If this cannot be done, then just use the humidifier every so often. In addition, you do not want things like carpeting, drapes, or tablecloths, to become damp since that could lead to mold growth.

If you start having any health problems that you or your doctor think might be caused by your humidifier, quit using it, even if you have been following directions in cleaning it.
    Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
    Sir Walter Scott
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point. I don't like the idea of bleach though. Most are plastic and may retain the smell of bleach. I'd rather use some essential oil like tangerine that has an antiseptic quality and is not so uh...... toxic.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Very good post, Dry. We always have to use our brains, logic. THINK about what we are doing. Anyone remember Legionaires (sp) disease?
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Wasn't that caused by the ventilation system in a hotel?
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Yes, but the same process. Where our air come from.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

greeneyes;761313 wrote: Good point. I don't like the idea of bleach though. Most are plastic and may retain the smell of bleach. I'd rather use some essential oil like tangerine that has an antiseptic quality and is not so uh...... toxic.
            Oh greeneyes, I have a friend who PUTS bleach in the water. She heard it on TV, says it makes her house smell clean..all it does is gives me a headache and make my throat and lungs ache. I've forwarded it to her..she keeps the thing running outside her kids bedrooms.

You're right rubywillow..always be aware, especially if you're not feeling like you think you should be. Try and find the source. I'm not 100% sure this is it, but glad I found the info.

DLA :h
            Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
            Sir Walter Scott
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
            X