HOLIDAY HELP THREAD: SAVE THE TURKEYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like the holiday festivities when AL puts on his party clothes and dances around your head.

So many have their goals threatened by holiday activities (including simply cooking) and family stuff. I thought maybe it would be good to have a thread for help during this week. Fears, concerns, helpful ideas, triumphs, gloats and gluttony, and encouragement. Hopefully we can save ourselves from being the turkey.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Thank you for starting this thread, Greeneyes.
    I know that we all have the best intentions not to drink during the holidays. I know I do.
    I do have a fear though and way back in my brain AL has already been whispering....'aww it's the holidays, one glass of wine is ok'...grrrr!!!!!! Get the hell out of my head! I am doing so well with a looonngg stetch of AF days. But, like everyday, I say to myself 'just take it one day at a time'...'I have a plan not to drink today'....Might just have to say that mantra more than a few times over the holiday!
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Patting myself here. Big family feast yesterday at daughter's. Wine was served. I had diet coke. No questions, tho some offered it to me.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

oh i was thinking you were a turkeys lover and now it time to get that turkey out and let it defrost ..
        but anyway great idea greenie
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

My brother is in an inpatient rehab, and although he gets passes once/week, they keep them locked up for Thanksgiving. So, in light of Thanks for our Blessings, we're going to go share the holiday at his rehab center.
          Kelly

Comment

Greenie,

I have designated my home a "no alcohol" zone this year. Evidently I was the big drinker, no one else seems too concerned about a dry Thanksgiving or Christmas.
            AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

I'm starting to see the worry creep in as the holiday nears. I am so relieved to be with family who know I don't drink. For me it is a safe place of family love, fun, laughter, & food. And seltzer and lime.

Time outs via walks, meditation, breathing practice, magazine article, hot tea (no caffeine).

Anybody else have suggestions for tense moments?
              sigpic

Comment

Quote ...Anybody else have suggestions for tense moments?....natural masturbation not creepy stuff.... i know crude but it helps ....ask the first person you meet today
                Reg

Comment

Go off to ya room and have a good ..... come back relaxed and offer to slice the turkey above all dont drink!!!!!! and let your drunk brother prove to ya mum you were the smart one
                  Reg

Comment

greeneyes;763613 wrote: I'm starting to see the worry creep in as the holiday nears. I am so relieved to be with family who know I don't drink. For me it is a safe place of family love, fun, laughter, & food. And seltzer and lime.

Time outs via walks, meditation, breathing practice, magazine article, hot tea (no caffeine).

Anybody else have suggestions for tense moments?
                    Run away as fast as you can and seek the nearest massure not related to your family

Comment

LuckyMom let me paste her post here.

LuckMom, have plenty of AF beverages available to you!

"After a two week stretch of being AF, I have quikly fallen back into my old habits -drinking way too much wine nearly every night after my kids are asleep and feeling horrible about myself the next day (not to mention being a cranky/irritable wife and mother). I am not sure what happend....I was taking a lot of different supplements and then I think I stopped taking them as regularly since I had a good stretch of AF days and was feeling in control (what a sucker I am!).

So today is day 1 again - and while I want to commit to 30 days - I would be so happy if I could make it through the next three - staying AF through the Thanksgiving holiday.

I have a number of social things planned with my family - a road race followed by "boody mary's and bagels" at a friends house, then I am hosting a family dinner at my house, then two different evening get togethers for "dessert and drinks" after our family guests departs - but still with my little kids. With the exception of dinner at my house, these events are focused on the drinking it is will be hard for me to have just one...OK, I know there is no way in hell that I will not drink too much if I even have one. But the truth is, I am the ONLY one that is into the booze...these are not big drinking parties and if I had club soda no one would raise an eyebrow. My other friends will have one drink, maybe two and be fine...I am finally getting honest that I just can't do that. I just have to be strong and stick to my plan not to drink - no matter what.

I am so, so afraid of getting drunk around my kids - not to mention making an ass around my friends as I ahve done before. Also, I am cooking a huge dinner and I am afraid that I will start drinking from the stress on Weds night and be hung over on Thanksgiving day...I have done this before and don't want to experience that hell again.

So I just wanted to get this off my chest and own what I want to do - have an AF thanksgiving holiday - one that I remember clearly and where I don't have regrets, shame, self loathing that I know will accompany that first sip. I will load up on my supps, listen to my hypno CDs and will check here often for the support and encouragement I always get from reading these great boards. While I want to be AF forever - my goals is to get through this next challenge -- and then go forward from there."
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X