My post about gabapentin on meds board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some time ago, I wrote that I was taking a medication called Neurontin (gabapentin) and that I was not having alcohol cravings. I was wondering if this med might be acting to eliminate those cravings and whether it might be helpful to someone else. Ivy suggested that post my question and experience on this board. I've tried to lift that entire thread from the meds board and post it here but I'm not savvy enough to manage it.

So I'll just rewrite my general question: Has anyone found that gabapentin reduced their cravings? There is more on the meds board should anyone be interested.

E

hey there

I was on gabapenton as a mood stabalizer and I had a bad reaction (skin) to it, but I did notice my cravings did go down somewhat! How interesting? let me know what else you find out about this although it looks like I can't take it in the future(?):h

Mary Anne:l

Comment

Hey, Mary Anne,

I'm wondering if the dosage of gabapentin that you took might have contributed to your reaction. I had to cut back from the 600 mg initially prescribed for back pain following a

Comment

Hey, Mary Anne,

Sorry about the double post!

I'm wondering if the dosage of gabapentin that you took might have contributed to your reaction. Because of some mild neurological side effects, I cut back from the 600 mg initially prescribed to the 200 mg that I now take only at night so that pain doesn't keep me awake. I tend to be hypersensitive to anything that gets near my CNS and thus it is possible that the side effects at 600 mg that I experienced are fairly idiosyncratic. How much gabapentin were you taking?

E

Comment

P.S. Most of what I found in a medical data base on gabapentin and alcohol concerned physical withdrawal symptoms but there was some case study (anecdotal) reportage that gabapentin could reduce alcohol cravings.

E

Comment

I just Googled gabapentin to see if I could find a more consumer-oriented discussion of the effects of the drug on alcohol abuse. I didn't find what I was looking for but I did find the precaution that gabapentin can potentiate the effects of alcohol. I don't know how much gabapentin or alcohol needs to be present for a problem to occur but I thought that I should note this potential concern.

E

Comment

100 mg

Eustacia,

sorry for such a late resonse!! Been busy, but I was only taking 100 mg, and the itching redness and rash on my face took weeks to get over:upset: , would LOVE to take something to help, I thought the topa was going to be a magic pill or something, but so far has not helped me too much!!

Love ya!!:h

Mary Anne

Comment

Working...
              X