Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gals in their 50's

Dear All,

Have been hanging around here for about a year, I think. Still drinking and still sick of it. Taking the "easy" way out (though continuing drinking is certainly not really the easy way) and have decided to try to quit in January after all the holiday social committments. In the meantime, I am gaining strength and resolution by reading all of your threads. I would like to make a proposal and see what you all think.

A little bit about me first: I am 56, about 25-30 lbs overweight, belly fat, out of shape, puffy face, little energy, fight depression, drinking for about the last 35 years, have been thinking I should quit for quite a while, two adult children that drink more than they should (thanks to my example, I think) and strongly desiring to be alcohol free for the rest of my life......to live on a CONTINUOUS and EVERLASTING, NOT TO SLIP UP basis the joyful life that I have experienced the times that I have managed to quit and the life that all of you describe.

My proposal is this: that we gals in our 50's have our own thread. Not that we do not absolutely love and cherish, learn from and are supported by other friends in other threads. But in reading many threads it seems that we ladies in our 50's , and there seem to be quite a few of us, seem to have so much in common. We seem to be so concious of the fact that alcohol keeps us from being as attractive that we could still be at our age, that our aging bodies and minds are having a hard enough time "keeping up" just on their own and that we are realizing that alcohol is absolutely devastating both, some of us are saddened with regrets of how our drinking has affected our children, our marriages, our relationships. I just think that having a thread with girlfriends that I know are just where I am might be a very good thing (that sounded very Martha Stewart, didn't it?)

What do y'all think? Would there be enough of us who are interested?

Gals in their 50's

I'm with you, NC! You just described me!! I'll be back in a bit. Great idea, too.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Sounds good to me! I'm 54. also drank for 36 years, have now been AF for over 3 months. Let me tell you ,the bad skin and losing my looks (more than I needed to) was a pretty big motivator (at least subconsciously). I'd forgotten about this, but I'd seen a "reverse makeover" show that was done on the Tyra (Banks) show, where they "made over" the mothers of girls worried about their mothers' bad lifestyle habits. One of the women was a daily drinker (the other two were a smoker and something else). That was eye opening - basically it showed how she'd look in 10 years, and the results were not good. There is a website for Tyrashow.com, I think, where I'm pretty sure you can pull up segments of old shows. I saw this a couple months before I came here, and it was always in the back of my mind. OK, now you all know how superficial I really am! :H

This is a great idea, New Creation, I look forward to it. :h By the way, being AF will reverse a lot of that - I look more like my old self now, you will too!
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

NC, you describe me as well, except that my children are all 4-legged ones and I'm guessing you are referring to the 2-legged variety. Me?

* 51 years old, but I tell everyone I'm 29 so don't spill my sekret, OK?
        * Was 60 pounds overweight, bloated, no energy, felt like crap - attractive? What's that?? when I finally quit for what I hope is forever
        * Drinking career spanned over 30 years.
        * Finally figured out that being sober is a lot more rewarding than being drunk.
        Etc.

Oh - and since you mentioned Martha Stewart...is there any way I could fashion a holiday center piece out of my husband's dirty socks & underwear? (If you have an answer, I will KNOW you have watched too much Martha!!! )

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Dancelot, I'm going to try to find that segment. Hey, I am so glad to hear from both you and Ruby. Y'all are two of the friends that I was hoping for; see, I think there really might be quite a few of us.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Doggygirl....you are going to be my inspiration! Since 5/2008????? So glad you will be in my corner!

Comment

Gals in their 50's

New Creation;765461 wrote: Doggygirl....you are going to be my inspiration! Since 5/2008????? So glad you will be in my corner!
              NC, it's so worth it to get sober. Are you sure you want to wait???

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

I am w/you new creation & gals. I am new here & feel as you do. That good example I am not to my childen, that guiltyness, appearance and health... I am w/you to start being af w/planning and taking it one day at a time. Have a great black Friday!
                :new:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Count me in too

I think we could all help each other to stick at this. I'm also in my 50s, overweight, bad skin, have a lot of regrets about my finances/behaviour/decisions I've made when drinking. Now nearly 6 weeks AF and feel like a different person. This forum is fantastic - its been a great support.
                  :thanks:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Hi, sunkissed and Cupcake! Welcome! :welcome:
                    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

NC, I think you've hit a market here! I can't tell you how much my 1+ year at MWO has changed my life, my relationships, my appearance. And I think, given our ages and experiences, we should call ourselves the Gathering of the Goddessess! LOL
                      sigpic
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

rubywillow;765469 wrote: And I think, given our ages and experiences, we should call ourselves the Gathering of the Goddessess! LOL
                        :H I love it! I actually added in the suggestions part of the hypnosis CDs "I am a warrior goddess" - this is also to get back some of my courage riding - I've gotten a little too tentative as I've gotten older - and visualise a warrior horse goddess type lifting her sword as the image! :H

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Maybe Goddess Gathering. Too ostentatious? :wings:
                          sigpic

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Oh BUMMER!!!!!!!

You mean I have to wait 5 yrs til I can join your club? :damn:

That bites!

I'm almost 45, and the fading looks thing, weight gain et al were concerning me as well ya know...

Fine, I'll just go find someone else to play with :H:H:H

DLA :h
                            Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
                            Sir Walter Scott
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Doggygirl, You are right; I don't really want to wait. I am a pretty spiritual person and would like for this Christmas season to be "holier" and happier than past years. Why am I afraid to quit drinking now rather than putting it off til January?

Comment

Working...
                              X