Gals in their 50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gals in their 50's

My oldest son and my daughter were both married during my drinking years. I was terrified of ruining their special day with my drinking. My son was married in Amsterdam and my daughter was married and Disney world.....special days with much planning not to mention the money that was spent! I decided the only was to prevent a drunken wedding disaster was for me not to drink, not even one. Thankfully, that worked! Both weddings were so beautiful and special and the memories are all wonderful! I do admit that I did have a few drinks back at the hotel......but, I did manage to keep myself under control.

I am so grateful that none of this is an issue any longer! For those of you facing this issue today, remember that there is no such thing as One Drink for an alcoholic and destroying the treasured memories of our childrens wedding for them, is not something anyone wants to live with!

Best Wishes!
    Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Wonderful advice, Kate!

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Good morning ladies! Kate, it is so good to see you, my dear friend! NC, how are you doing today, girl? Sped, Kate is so right, don't even have one drink! It is not worth the guilt you would have if you couldn't control yourself, which most of us can't when we are drinking. Enjoy the beautiful memories and this special time in your and your son's life. Okay, who's up for a little exercise today? I'm going to walk on my treadmill, it may be for only 10 minutes, but we gotta start somewhere! Who is going to join me? Let's post our progress at the end of the day. I hope you all have a wonderful happy day today! I love you all, Vicki
        I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
        but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Okay vicks, I will join you - I will also do time on the treadmill, but it will have to be after hubs leaves, but I WILL do this - thank you for motivating me!!

Sun xx
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Treadmill Tuesday!

Me too~ going to the gym with hubby.....he does the elyptical which for some reason I just can't tolerate more than 3 minutes! Ha! I walk a mile on the treadmill and then do some weight machines. We try to go 3 times per week at least. I don't really need to lose weight, (I am 105lbs) but have back and neck issues and need to stay in shape. He on the other hand needs to lose about 50 lbs
            As far as drinking at my son's wedding~ which by the way was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen. Her parents spent about $25,000 on it. Everything from her dress to the flowers to the ceremony were just perfect. It was at a cathedral in central Phoenix and just magnificent, then the reception was at the Botanical Garden with a full sit down dinner and fabulous DJ and open bar (of course). We danced and danced! Luckily~ no one really saw me drunk until it was all over~ and that was my husband and my son's father in-law who is also an alcoholic. I'm not so sure I really was "drunk" or just down right exhausted from the whole day of stress because I didn't have time to drink more than 2 glasses of wine I was so busy talking to guests and dancing! I clearly remember the whole night thank God.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

$25,000 on a wedding????? Wow - I have told both my daughters that if they elope, I will give them double presents! Go you though for only drinking 2 glasses of wine. I cancelled my gym membership -too expensive and never used it but have a treadmill in the cellar so will use that! Set up a DVD and Bob's your uncle!

Hugs, Sun xx
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Okay, Fran, I can't possibly walk a mile, maybe 5 minutes! My legs hurt so bad, it is hard to stand or walk at all, but I'm gonna try! I can do sit ups now and I have one of those ab lounger. I will try to do situps today, too. $25,000 on a wedding? I'm crawling in a hole and not coming out until my daughter's wedding is over! That is just plain depressing! I want my daughter's wedding to be nice, but I can't afford that! She will have to keep it under $5,000 and even that's gonna hurt me! Okay, fixing to try to walk now. Will let you know of my progress. Love you all, Vicki
                I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
                but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Helloooo, Girls!!! So glad to see this thread back for those of us 'well-ripened' ladies!!
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

The Wedding $$$$

I know, I know that's A LOT of money to spend.......I thought they spent about $15,000 but my son said no it was even more.....her parents are college professors and make pretty good money, plus her grandmother had started a savings account when she was born and she used that. Hell! Her dress alone was close to $5000! She wanted this little tiara that probably could be bought at an accessory store in the mall but nope~ she paid $170 for it and then extra for expedited shipping........to wear one night!!!
                    Oh Well......like I said it was gorgeous. I would have been more worried about all the money if they had not been together for so long before marrying too.....

SOBS~ I can't do sit ups!! Good for you!! Sometimes I wonder about the benefits of exercise and the "illusion of health"........does drinking wine each evening negate the whole process

Comment

Gals in their 50's

morning everyone, my bikes broken today so will have to think of some other form of excercise today, weighed in this morning, lost almost a stone now, feeling very motivated,hope you all have a good day, love and hug's Twitch xxx

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Well, so much for starting to exercise yesterday - I didn't. I did iron though - got caught up on a huge stack and ironed for four hours so that might count as my exercise for the day. LOL. I might go out and weed today - that will be todays exercise.

hugs, Sun

Comment

Gals in their 50's

my new bike has arrived, hurray!!! also went for a swim, off to Cornwall surfing on Friday, hope the sun shines,enjoy the rest of the day,xxx Twitch.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

I am 58 and have been abstinent and on baclofen since mid january (over 6 months) yay. On June 30 I started going to the gym daily and being on a healthy low cal (not counting) diet. I have lost about 10 pounds since then and am very encouraged. Over the last 25 years I somehow put on 60 pounds! Now they can come off slowly (but not over 25 years). I figure if I keep this up it will take almost a year to lose the next 50 pounds. But for now the daily 3 mile walk and twice a week resistance work will be my main focus. I am so glad I am not drinking. It totally underminedmy determination and discipline when I did. Those of you who keep relapsing may want to consider baclofen. It has made all the difference in the world to get rid of the alcohol cravings.
                            All the best and I am glad I found this thread. I guess it has been around for awhil but it recently bumped to the top so I hope it is OK if I join
                            Sunny

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Hi Sunny - you can never have too much sunshine (LOL) - I too have been AF since Jan - around the first week but I was on Topa - well, still am but am coming off it slowly - by end of next week I will be totally off it.

Good for you losing 10lbs - it is so hard to lose weight and seemingly so easy to put it on! the Topa actually took weight off me but with coming off it I am wondering if I will have to watch what I eat again. Anyway I really must start to exercise again - you sound very motivated. That is what I need - motivation!!

I just invited myself here - I assumed one could?? Anyway - well done and great work so far!!

Sun xx

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Twitch, I have TRULY missed you! How's the beautiful boy?
                                Long, hot, tiring day here, working down at the family farm, picking up limbs, cutting trees. It's about 98F here, and the air is like breatheing thru a wet gym sock. :H
                                BTW, for those who've never seen Kudzu growing, here's a pic (there are more on the 'Journey Thread').If you stood in one place for a couple of days, it would completely cover you!
                                sigpic
                                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                                X