Gals in their 50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gals in their 50's

rubywillow;765831 wrote: I can vouch for LJ. She has fought a mighty battle! And is winning, one Ollie-smile at a time.:l
    Thx Rubes,
    you're a pretty strong ol'chick as well.!!
    :h
    :heart:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Okay, please be with me here for the next two days while I "prepare" to quit. Really wanted to drink through the holidays but took up DG's advice and will quit on Sunday. Have been drinking wine tonight while watering my beds and pots outside (no sprinkler system as I am SURE we could have AFFORDED had I not been drinking all this time) and listening to Christmas music . Anyway, this is such a peaceful "ritual" for me......having my wine, enjoying my garden, listening to music. I want for peace to come if I give this up. Can I ?

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Peace WILL come New Creation.

Not EVERY moment of the day...maybe NOT right away, but it will come, trust me.
        Each day is a battle won...each hour, each minute, just once on course, stay on course.
        If this were easy, there would be no alcoholics..you can do this. Trust YOURSELF hun.

DLA:h:l:h
        Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
        Sir Walter Scott
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Gals in their 50's

NC, I wholly recommend relaxation, meditation, maybe self-hypnosis CD's to use when you really feel the urge over the next weeks. Yes. You can do this. So many have, and I believe in you, I feel you have it in you. I understand that ritual. I loved my drink while I sat in a lounge chair in the stream at my cabin, and I still catch myself missing it, briefly. But then I look at what I've gained back, mainly my fabulous daughter's respect and trust, and I know I gave up less than nothing. I gave up a disease, an early death. Find ways to relax yourself without AL, and make plans for all your gatherings before you go. I just went to one Sunday where wine was served. I had one or two pangs, not enough to think about. Find ways to shore up your resolve, and remember, it's like a really bad cold, the worst is over in a few days and you begin to revel in your power. We're in this together.
          Rubes
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

NC, it takes some time and committment to ditch the booze and re-build a different life that is centered on different things. But it DOES happen if you work for it. The peace of mind I used to *think* I was getting from AL was fleeting and fake. I actually am obtaining some REAL peace of mind now.

Yes, there are still moments when I miss AL. But like Ruby said, what I have gained is monumental in comparison to anything I have "lost." There is just no comparison.

For one thing, I love not having the BALL AND CHAIN of AL around my ankle anymore.

**VANITY WARNING**

OH - and just for a little motivation, I ditched my size 18 clothes shortly after ditching the booze. I can't drink and be the size I want to be and CAN be with diet, exercise, and some of what Suzanne Somers is having, and I'm not talking about the "occassional glass of wine" here. But I like shopping for size 8 clothes now. UnHung is the ONLY way to do the gym in the morning IMO.

Now, doesn't that make you want to just pour that wine right down the drain and get started right NOW???????

(ok ok I will stop pushing it now!!!)

Hmmm..... MWO Hot(flash) Babes is sounding pretty good! Or...we could include the word "menopause" somehow and then we could be completely and totally assured that no men would even READ what we are talking about!! :H Especially if we included the word "tampon" too somehow. MWO No More Tampon Menopause Babes??? (just kidding)

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

I've already heard the thread mentioned by some of the younger guys on other threads. That's fine. Enter with EXTREME caution - These premises patrolled by hot flashes and mood swings! ull
              sigpic
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Gals in their 50's

OK - I think rule #1 for our soon to be named club should be No Men Allowed Unless You Are Our Hairdresser or Johnny Depp.

What other rules do we need to have?

:H

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Gals in their 50's

We couldn't turn Harrison Ford away could we?

And they MUST be good at and willing to perform foot massages at any given mention.

DLA:h
                  Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Gals in their 50's

I wouldn't kick Tom Selleck outta my bed for eating crackers there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gals in their 50's

I've been thinking about this today since this thread started. I'm sure there are going to be some jokes about us, I mean aren't there already a million about 'women of a certain age'. And you all know the feeling of having some inordinately healthy 20-something priss past you in her F*CK ME heels when you're waiting somewhere? When I was in High School, I read this, and I believe it was what the poet Edna St. Vincent Milay had inscribed on her tombstone:

As you are
                      So once was I.
                      As I am
                      So shall you be.

Dang ironical, ain't it?
                      sigpic

Comment

Gals in their 50's

NC -
                        The ritual will need a little adjustment. So much of the drinking is about rituals, habits, besides the craving part. Be prepared for it. Have some type of non alcoholic beverages on hand at all times. Even the habit of actually drinking something liquid seems to be very ingrained in a lot of this. There was some discussion on this recently in the long term abs section (I can't remember which thread). At first I kept bottles and bottles of flavored sparking waters around. I stockpiled them like I used to wine. I ran out one night and got a little agitated. What they did was become a special evening treat. You can put them in a nice glass, add cut up fruit or fresh mint. In cooler weather I've been drinking more hot drinks, and try all kinds of non-caffeinated teas.

Use the money you would have spent on wine for good chocolate, good scented candles, really nice bath products, or something you consider a treat. The hot baths with essential oils are great, and kind of draw out the toxins as well as just feel so good. I did this a lot at the end of the day in my first AF days.

Exercise more - if you feel cravings coming on, take a walk around the block. Find an exercise DVD you'd enjoy if it's too cold where you are. Have plenty of things to do - whatever you like - as long as it's not drinking. Do you have any long neglected hobbies? Now's a good time to rediscover them. Clean out a drawer, or a closet, find and do something that's maybe been needing to be done for awhile.

Eat good - a lot of us (myself included) got back into cooking in the evenings - then I had plenty of healthy food prepared for the week. Also our bodies are really depleted from AL abuse, and this will help us recover. Stay hydrated. Take your vitamins. Avoid refined carbs if possible - though I cut myself some slack on this one at first, because with AL gone we often crave sugar. Sugar and refined carb consumption tends to increase AL cravings. L-Glute is helpful with both AL and carb cravings. That's also where a good healthy diet is helpful - and keeps your blood sugar levels stable.

Maybe write a "Dear John" letter to AL. Whatever works. Mainly, have a plan. Break it into small chunks, as small as you need. Small successes add up. Don't worry about tomorrow or next week even. Just now. Just the moment you're in. Every time you're tempted, do something else. Stay close to here. I stayed until after the hour AL could not be sold the first week especially.

We are here for you, and believe in you. Believe in yourself. Never give up, no matter what.

Stay close - much love! :h
                        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Doggygirl;765897 wrote: MWO No More Tampon Menopause Babes??? (just kidding)

DG
                          THAT would keep the men away!!!! HAHAHA!!!!!:H:H:H:H:H:H
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

rubywillow;765908 wrote: I've been thinking about this today since this thread started. I'm sure there are going to be some jokes about us, I mean aren't there already a million about 'women of a certain age'. And you all know the feeling of having some inordinately healthy 20-something priss past you in her F*CK ME heels when you're waiting somewhere? When I was in High School, I read this, and I believe it was what the poet Edna St. Vincent Milay had inscribed on her tombstone:

As you are
                            So once was I.
                            As I am
                            So shall you be.

Dang ironical, ain't it?
                            Rubywillow, a girl friend and I were talking about this, and she said 'Hell, we had our time, and now we pass on the torch to the younger ones'

Honestly truly I wouldn't want to go back to my twenty somethings..nothing to prove anymore, and I can't help but roll my eyes when I see the posin' of the young women. Ughhh, the pressure-no thanks. (Beside, between you and I, younger men do nothing for me..)

dancelot, that was a terrific post. Well done.

DLA :l
                            Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Gals in their 50's

rubywillow;765900 wrote: I've already heard the thread mentioned by some of the younger guys on other threads. That's fine. Enter with EXTREME caution - These premises patrolled by hot flashes and mood swings! ull
                              Well, I guess if that keeps them busy and not drinking.... gossiping about grannies?.... hmm... does make me wonder.

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Gals in their 50's

Thanks, DLA!

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X