For the `hardened` smokers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little word of encouragement for you all for this coming new year from me, an ex `hardened` smoker.

Am 1 year smoke-free today, AND........if ever there was someone who was convinced she could never, ever, in a million years, give up her beloved ciggies.........it was me........I had even earned myself the nick name of Fag Ash Lil :H

My smoking history?........20+ ciggies a day for 26 years. Some people awaken in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, whereas, I would awaken to have a nocturnal smoke!!! :H

So, if you REALLY, REALLY want to quit smoking, just have faith and keep trying. It took me months of procrastinating before I actually took the plunge for real.

I am approaching 2 years AF, am now 1 year smoke-free. My final addiction goal is to wean myself off of the nicotine gum as of 1st Jan 2010. I feel fabulous and so many of the oldies especially at MWO played a huge part in my transformation on all fronts........thanks for all your encouragement.

Sending you all love and strength :l

Star x
    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Wow Star! What a fantastic post!
    Congratulations on your year of non fagging :-)
    I am with you on the smoking, I too was a nighttime smoker. I smoked my last cigarette when I took my last drink on 9th July 2008 but at that time I was also chewing the gum AND smoking. I quit the gum on 6th Feb 2009. Not easy, but well worth the effort.
    Good luck in ridding yourself of your final addiction!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Go you! I am impressed - I started smoking again, (after 27 years of not smoking), about 2 years ago - and am now planning to stop again - and of course, be AF too!!! The drink, I am planning on the middle of December - the cigs - well, around then too I think. I have to do this for me and it is always good to hear of others doing it too - makes me think there is hope!!
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Star
        I really needed to hear that this morning. ...
        My head is in a place where I cannot even fathom putting down the ciggs. I know I want to, I know I need to but I am having a hard time imagining my life without them. Of course, I couldn't imagine my life without AL, and so far so good on that one.....
        This is a tough one for me......Thanks for the words of encouragement.....
        What does one do with their hands if you don't smoke?...hmmmmmm
        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Congratulations Star!!! I think quitting smoking is a huge accomplishment--especially for the hardcore types! The habit/addiction becomes so ingrained in the brain, that everytime we do the things we used to do with a cigarette trigger the urge!

I was a binge smoker/drinker. I NEVER smoked unless I drank, and I NEVER drank unless I smoked. When I finally got honest about the fact that the two went hand in hand for me--I decided I could NOT drink or smoke anymore if I wanted to be an ex-smoker.

It is the best thing I think I've ever done for myself. To get that smoking monkey off my back is such a great feeling!

:goodjob:
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Starlight....you are ever an inspiration! I am so happy for you, I know how much you have wanted this and how very hard you have worked for it!!

XXX Kate
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Wow, you remind me of an old Adam and the Ants song.

Great Job Star
              mike

Comment

A little word of encouragement for you all for this coming new year from me, an ex `hardened` smoker.
                Congratulations on being smoke free! And thank you for posting this. I am just now breaking myself of the "night time smokes". My next goal is to stop completely.
                AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

charlee;767762 wrote: Star
                  I really needed to hear that this morning. ...
                  My head is in a place where I cannot even fathom putting down the ciggs. I know I want to, I know I need to but I am having a hard time imagining my life without them. Of course, I couldn't imagine my life without AL, and so far so good on that one.....
                  This is a tough one for me......Thanks for the words of encouragement.....
                  What does one do with their hands if you don't smoke?...hmmmmmm
                  Congrats on your recent sober anniversary!!!! The first 100 days smoke free were sheer torture for me and everyone around me. But it did get easier after that (not "easy" just "easier" :H). Now after over 2.5 years smoke free I truly don't think about it any more and would rather walk across hot coals than breath smoke into my lungs - it makes my lungs hurt just thinkin' about it! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Congrats Star on your wonderful progress transforming yourself and thanks for starting this great encouraging thread! Much support to all who are trying to kick nic to the curb!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Congratulations on both of your accomplishments, Star. You must be really proud of yourself.

If you want to try this, here is how I got off nicotine gum. I started using the nicotine patch 21mg for a week, then 14 the next week, and so on. I knew I was done when I started forgetting to put on the patches at 7mg. You may or may not want to try this, but I found it helped me let go of the gum very easily. It is always good to have a supply of sugar-free candy to suck on though!

Sending good vibes for your success in giving up the gum! xxx
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Congrats Star on both of your quits!

I found giving up the smokes much harder than giving up AL. It takes a long, long time to retrain your brain. I'm still working on mine I quit smoking 6 months ago & am still using Commit lozenges, trying to wean myself from them.

Wishing you the best!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for all your support.

I`m just thinking how much our attitude towards smoking changes when we quit........so many of you state that quitting smoking is the best thing you ever did..........so much positivity..........I feel that way about stopping smoking too...........I can`t for the life of me now understand why I initially felt somehow bereft :H

YAH, Kathy.........thanks. It hadn`t occurred to me to use the patch to get off the nicotine gum. I can`t envisage me successfully cutting down on the number of gums I use each day..........will keep the patch at the forefront of my mind. If it got you off the gum, it may well be just the thing for me too.........I`m optimistic.

I`d sooooooo like to be off the gum for `The Bells` (our term for stroke of midnight at New Year), so............I`ll give it my best shot. Lately I grudge the money I spend on nic gum, even although it costs a fraction of the price of fags!!! :H No jokes about stingy Scots, anyone please!!!!! LMAO

Star x
                        Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Hi Star, congratulations on being AF and NF. Two years AF is phenomenal. I am so happy for you that you were able to accomplish both goals.

Comment

I spent the day with a friend of mine that also quit smoking after 30+ years. She made the comment that it was much easier than she thought it would be--even though it took some "spots" on her lungs to make her quit. So many people had told us how hard it was, and how even after years of not smoking they still miss it. That's what I didn't want--to constantly wish I could smoke. I'm so glad I do not!
                            Star--my mom smoked for years--and had to quit for health reasons. It really made her mad that she couldn't smoke anymore, but I think she was addicted to the gum too. I mentioned one time quite innocently that I thought the gum was supposed to be temporary and she about bit my head off! lol
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                            X