The secret life of women drinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a series of articles in The Times today about "the secret life of women drinkers".

Here's a few links, I don't have time to post them all right now:

Mimi Spencer: I admit it, I go to bed mildly drunk each night... don’t we all? - Times Online

Nutrition: what's the best low-alcohol drink for Christmas? - Times Online

Yes, I’m an alcoholic, but I can have a good party - Times Online
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

good reading,yes 100 per cent its so easy for both men & women to drink excessively at home,no barmen to call time.thanks marshy

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

the 1st story is quite interesting she obviously has a drinking problem ,[my opiinion, tht can get out of control,and yes the children will remember the smell,mine did,kind of hard to hide,alcohol and drug problems in addictive minded people dont just go away,even tho many of us havent been thru a war or great depression,i beleive times are much faster today,what you learn one week,in 2 months mt be obsolete,my wife is going thru it now,50or so women,tht has to go into the work force in a different career,and make it work,something new at our age is not always easy to learn,she is not alchoholic,but its nothing for her to come home and have a few or 2 glasses of white wine,but remember theres only 2,5 glasses of wine,in a 750 mil bottle,so if you drink 2 bottles,you've had 5 glasses of wine,remember we with alcohol troubles no that,normal drinkers would never think of it,when you start thinking you have a problem with drugs or AL.you probably do just my thts gyco

Comment

thnx marsh i read the others later

Comment

Love the rosie boycott article.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Mimi Spencer
            How depressing, her passive acceptance of her drinking.
            I wonder how old she is. I wonder if she realizes how much worse it can get. I wonder if she has the foresight to see the impact this will have on her kids.
            Hey Mimi, wake up!

Comment

God I can relate to this article!
              Most of my drinking is done at home alone.
              I have taken the white wine out of the fridge and am going to try and have an AF day
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Hey, these are really interesting articles. I often wonder why we can't get easy access to low alcohol wine that still tastes like good wine - surely it doesn't all have to be 14-15%?? Actually, while on that point, why is standard beer only sold in a minimum of six packs?

I wonder if there would be any impact on binge drinking if people had the choice to buy regular (non-imported) beer singularly and had easy access to good quality low-alcohol wine?
                I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Oops, I posted the wrong link to the nutritionist article (but glad you like it anyway Jandal!).
                  This one is all about booze Two glasses a night? What’s the problem? - Times Online

And also the sex therapist advice... Sex advice: ‘Why can’t I have sex sober?’ - Times Online

Gyco - 2.5 glasses of wine in a bottle? That's a pretty large glass...
                  sigpic

Comment

Another two good articles Marshy!
                    I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Thanks for the links, Marshy. Read them all -- good stuff!

Comment

good reading
                        :notes:
                        My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

Jandal;773766 wrote: Hey, these are really interesting articles. I often wonder why we can't get easy access to low alcohol wine that still tastes like good wine - surely it doesn't all have to be 14-15%?? Actually, while on that point, why is standard beer only sold in a minimum of six packs?

I wonder if there would be any impact on binge drinking if people had the choice to buy regular (non-imported) beer singularly and had easy access to good quality low-alcohol wine?
                          Damn good point Jandal.
                          I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
                          The Government (here anyway) claims to be trying to eradicate binge drinking. They honestly think this is acheivable by heavily taxing pre - mixed drinks (as if). Necessity being the mother of invention, and we Aussies being a resourceful lot, we now mix our own and drink much more .....duh.
                          We also continue to see an increase in price break/quantity alcohol purchases.....the old 2 bottles of spirits for 60 bucks deals at Woollies and Coles....... 10 per cent of per 6 bottle deal of wine....cleanskins..........I don't get it. How is THAT gunna help ?
                          Babble-fest over.
                          Bridge
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;774076 wrote: we Aussies being a resourceful lot, we now mix our own and drink much more .....duh.
                            It's like in several Scandinavian countries, where booze is heavily taxed and only sold at certain hours of the day, people make their own and get drunk before they go out to a bar and save money that way. And there's a huge booze cruise trade between Sweden and Denmark (Swedes getting the boat across to Denmark to get what for them is "cheap" booze - expensive to me).

Anyhoo, here's the last piece. I like this one.

Units and lies: how much do women really drink? - Times Online
                            sigpic

Comment

thank you for the good reading
                              SOBER: 1 YEAR!:butterfly:

Comment

Working...
                              X