I was 8 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 8 years old

I was 8 years old. He was 17 and his name was Kevin. I met him at the local park a few times ? always with my younger brother and sister ? before he tried to rape me. I thought, and told, the girl next door, that I had a boyfriend and he had told me he loved me. She was very jealous. She was 9.

At this age there was a lot of disharmony at home. At the same age I was subjected to my father?s mistress and expected to be nice. I don?t remember if my father was around at the time this happened.

I don?t have any memories of this time period between 8 and 11 years.

I talked my way out of the rape. Even at 8yo I knew something was very wrong. He had forgotten about my brother and sister. We were playing Hide and Seek. He heard their voices trying to find us and swore. His words were ?F?k, I?d forgotten about them!? All I remember after that was I was out of danger and I never told anyone about it.

But even after that, believing he loved me, I thought he would be at the park next weekend. He wasn?t, and I was disappointed at being rejected. Remember, I was 8 years old.

I have felt so guilty over this for much of my life. I know it?s unreasonable. But for the last I don?t know how many years, since I was first married I think and told my first husband about it, I haven?t been able to get it out of my mind.

For the last few weeks, it has been on my mind daily, constantly. It?s driving me crazy. That occurred 45 years ago. He would now be 62 years old. Why cannot I get this out of my mind?

He was a rapist and I?ve done nothing about it because I was too ashamed. But he didn?t actually rape me.

This has come to the fore writing this, because my husband has not left me because I have a drinking problem. He thinks I have an underlying disorder that I must come to terms with and fix before he returns. He says he is leaving me for my own good to do something about my personality disorder.

I know how to fix a drinking problem. How do I fix this?
    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
    AF May 23 09 to July 09
    AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

I was 8 years old

Fine. I'll reply to myself. So many of you have viewed this and nobody has replied. It's obviously too hard. Forget I asked. Thanks for viewing in any case. Pan x
    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
    AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

I just now have logged on. Sorry.

Very very sorry.

And, I have no answers for you. Sorry for that, too.

I do try to read when I can and lend an ear and maybe a shoulder. But even that can be an issue.

Do hang in, pan.

Comment

I was 8 years old

Hey S, sometimes it's just the simple reply that someone hears is all one needs. Thankyou.
        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
        AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

Pan, I have read, and am thinking about my reply. Its a huge subject you have talked about.
          My first instincts are to tell you to please please please talk to a professional about this. Its not something that can be dealt with on the boards or just by yourself.
          I believe many of us drink to numb pain, it sounds as if you are doing this.
          I really would urge you to get professional help such as counselling or psychotherapy.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I was 8 years old

Yeah, Starts, this is where I need to go. My main problem is I can't talk about myself. I just can't. I've tried it before.
            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
            AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

I KNOW how you feel Pan, truly I do.
              I have decided to go back to counselling because I simply have to sort out some issues now. I have had counselling before and only really touched on some stuff.
              Now I am going to take the bull by the horns and go for it.
              I have nothing to lose and neither do you.

Comment

I was 8 years old

I have to get off the internet. My husband away in the Outback will need it. I only get to 6pm. I need to be grateful for that.
                Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

No, Starts, I don't. I have the problem of sorting what sort of counselling I need. I'm going to make a start tomorrow, because no matter what hubby is trying to make me do that may be half his fault, I know the majority is mine because of my alcoholism.
                  Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                  AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

But I have another prob that needs further investigation.
                    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                    AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

I was 8 years old

Stop blaming people (including yourself) Its not a case of whose fault it is.
                      Keep on looking until you find the right counsellor that you can trust and who can help you.
                      Over here we have a directory of different counsellors that are qualified to tackle different issues. Maybe you have something like that over there?

Comment

I was 8 years old

i have just read this pan,and impo you need to talk to professional people about this,i have been told that our alcoholism actually masks other underline problems we have, and dealing with the alcoholism is just one of many that we may have to deal with.hope you go and get this sorted

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I was 8 years old

Start with your GP, Pan.
                          Get a referral to the appropriate service within your local Area Health Service, or in private practice.
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

I was 8 years old

Hi Pan,
                            Living through molestation is a terrible, live changing ordeal. You would improve your health and stability if you have the means to deal with it. I agree that talking to a professional should be hugely beneficial. And it's hard to separate the AL abuse from the underlying issues - I struggle with this too.
                            You are not alone - this kind of thing is all too common and more of us need to speak up. You may never be able personally to punish this person, after all these years, but you should know it was not your fault.
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

I was 8 years old

Hi pan...:l I don't have advice to give but I will say this. At least this is coming to the surface and you will get through it so it can be done with and you can live your life with all the goodness of who you are and deserve to be.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X