blood tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blood tests

hi all i have a question, a good friend of mine has decided to try & stop drinking,three weeks ago she attended her doctor,suffering from dizzy spells,he sent her for blood tests and when blood tests came back she asked pacifically was her liver ok as she has a few drinks every night,to her surprise blood tests turned up liver normal, how could the liver be normal.:thanks:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

blood tests

:ey::help!

Comment

blood tests

Hi Mario
      I've been told a few times that you liver can take a hell of a lot of abuse. I'm not saying that everyone should'nt worry about theirs while they are drinking. I thought mine would have been on its last legs when i went to my gp but he said the damage wasnt unrepairable. They're pretty amazing things..
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

blood tests

Hi Mario,
        Yep, the liver is amazing in how it can repair itself, but......I'm not %100 sure here, and i'm no expert, but i've heard (on this site) that a blood test for the liver, whilst a common method to check-up, doesn't alway's tell the full story. There is another method of testing apparently, that is more thorough? The doc would know. Anyway, seems like a good sign.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

blood tests

Mario,
          i did a home liver test 2 wks ago (i dont want to go to my Dr, small community here and i dont want the lecture again!) It was abnormal but not drastically , im hoping now im AF it will repair the damage quickly and i will do another test in a month or so. Fingers crossed...
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

blood tests

Some people can have a wonderful diet and have trouble with high cholesterol. Aside from individual differences like that, the liver may be less than "normal" and may show up in alternative diagnostic measures, but not yet in the medical ones. Just a wild guess.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

blood tests

Mario,

I have to echo what Sheri said.

I have that experience first hand.

My girl had blood tests to check her liver and they came back normal. Despite the fact that she was bruising, losing chunks of hair, yellowish, throwing up, diarrhea.

In her mind, it meant she was okay and could keep drinking.

She was dying. From liver disease. Literally.

An MRI showed extensive scarring and problems with her liver that her blood tests did not show.

She quit drinking.

She is healthy and doing great but knows that she has done some irreparable damage to her liver and can never pick up a drink again. She is only 28.

Blood tests do not tell the entire story.

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

blood tests

Thanks for posting this because I was wondering the same thing. I have had lots of blood work and my doctor ran total liver tests when i told him I was drinking. They all came back normal. I received the report from the blood work that was taken when I applied for life insurance a few weeks ago, and everything came back PERFECT. I thought how can that be??? It makes sense now.

Comment

blood tests

You know, now that I think about it I read a long time ago that it is a specific, not routine liver test that indicates alcohol damage. I was worried but too (fill in some sort of emotional reason) to ask for that specific test.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

blood tests

thanks everybody for the advice,
                    much appreciated. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X