Don't drink and Facebook...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again woke up to all the signs...embarrassing flashbacks of conversations online with coworkers... sticky floor in the kitchen where I'd spilled my drink...mess on the computer desk where I'd also spilled my drink...keyboard hanging off the desk...Took hours before I could online and see what I had done this time...some people were sweet and some were WTF...all guys...what is wrong with me? As I mentioned in another post I have in the past cut myself...and as I did these things last night I sat with a knife beside me....held it to my face...wanted to do it but couldn't. Am I lonely...I guess...but sober I would never reach out to these people...so is it the alcohol or is it just me? Any thoughts would be appreciated. As I read this I'm scared I have too many issues to be here

Hi there Schaefer.
    All I can tell you is my experience and hope that you can relate to it a lttile.
    I too was very anxious, thought that I would never be able to engage with other people if sober. Really had a hard time liking myself too.
    I decided to get sober come what may at the age of 45. I knew it would be difficult, but my mind set was that nothing could be much worse than the way I was living then. So I was going to just go for it and see what happened.
    Well initially I was incredibly anxious, even had trouble going to the shops for a while. But kept on plodding on using supplements, good diet, the support here and lots of reading and learning about addictions.
    I am now about 18 months sober and although I dont have all the answers, life can sometimes still be difficult I can promise you, it is so much better than it was before.
    Its still a journey though, I still have issues that trouble me, but at least now I have a fighting chance of dealing with them. I have started counselling again to help me.
    Maybe you need some professional help in tandem with the support here?
    Dont give up, use absolutely every tool thats available to you. And find out and learn about all the options. There are many that will help with addictions and mental health issues. You dont need to do this alone.
    I have made excellent friends since becoming sober, its a much less lonely existence and I was very surprised to find that out.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Schaef,

We have all done humiliating things while drunk...there are whole websites devoted to the embarrassing things people do. I'm so glad to hear that you were able to refrain from cutting yourself and of course, you belong here. You were among the first to reach out to me in October and that meant so much.

I can relate all to well to the past sticky floors and flashbacks of what I said or did. Ugh! The shame kept me in the bottle longer than it should have. I was so scared to sober up and hate myself worse for all the humiliating things I had done. Wanna know the good news though? I have had ALMOST NO SHAME since getting sober. I'm not kidding and no one is more disbelieving than I. You might feel much better in so many unimaginable ways.

I might have asked this before, but how about some professional help along with the support of MWO? Is that too scary or have you tried it already? I know there are some quacks out there, but there are some good ones too.

All the hope in the world for you!

Comment

hi schaef28 keep posting your thoughts and feelings here,also i think you need to get some professional help ,maybe as in one to one counselling as a lot of our drinking covers up bigger issues.wishing you the best ,dont quit quitting.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Schaef,
          Just seeing a parallel with my friend, that I mentioned in an earlier thread, who would go out, get drunk and then start to cut.. this actually happened in public places and called down all kinds of abuse on her head.. the last thing she needed.

Please keep posting, talking and please do get some one-on-one counselling to help too. Don't let it escalate. The counselling can help you find strategies to deal with the aloneness so that it's a separate issue.

As Starty said, shame is part of the feeling that alcohol give you. When AF you feel totally without shame! It's Awesome!!

Comment

Shafer...Shake it off and keep going....I think the worst thing for our recovery is dewlling on the past transgressions ! You can't do anthing about the past...except to preform one of AA's little demands....ask for forgiveness from those you have offended. ( If that does'nt work....your the bigger person, not the person you wronged.) Take care and stop beating yourself up.....then you'll see that you'll begin to heal....Go where ever you need to go to get support....Here, AA, the moon ! Ha! Just don't give up ! Good Luck......IAD
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Schaefer,
              So what if you`ve had some sort of compromising chat with a guy online when you were drunk.........f*** them all........you were drunk and so out of character.......it never happened, right?!!!

Just move swiftly on from this and in future if you think yourself inclined to get caught up in this type of crap when drinking.........unplug your pc or hide your ethernet cable or wireless adapter. Even better.........try not to drink.

Loneliness, well........we are all acquainted with that one. But do yourself a favour.........don`t seek out the company of some mindless git online to fill the void, but rather stay sober and get involved in a class/gym etc where you will meet `nice` company........it`s out there.

Chin up, and just remember........men can be b*******.........only if we let them. :l

Star x
              Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Thanks everyone!! Finding this site with all of your wonderful support really helps so much!! I'm sure I must seem to be all over the place...the drinking, the cutting, depression. I know they are all tied together but sometimes it just all seems so overwhelming. But coming here never ceases to lift me up!!

Comment

hi shaefer, please stop beating yourself up about what you have done whilst drunk, i used to drunk text and email people, go in chatrooms and talk filth deliberatly to get myself banned,
                  the ultimate in my degradation came 5 months ago, when i decided to quit drinking once and for all, my son asked me to look after his rottweiller puppy while he and his girlfriend went out, i agreed, during the evening the puppy knocked over a full pint glass of sherry(in the kitchen), i wasnt about to let it go to waste,so got down on my hands and knees and began to suck it up , the pup joined in, and then they both walked in and caught us drinking sherry off the floor, i tried to pretend it was a joke but they knew what was going on, i will never live it down , everytime i remember that time my resolve to stay sober grows stronger, if you can keep remembering your worst drunk i find it really helps,

Comment

JLM
                    :h:l
                    pipx
                    Pipsqueak

Comment

Hey Schaefer,

There is a thread on here somewhere called "Amino Acids the Mood Cure". I've posted the link before but having trouble finding it tonight. I think the supps really help my mood and I'm a completely different person

Can someone please post the link here for Schaefer?

Reading RJ's MWO Book and another book I read recently by an Aussie doctor on Hypoglycemia, who has similar ideas about treating alcoholism with supplements, it is again brought home to me that substance abuse leads to the disintigration of personality because it deprives your brain of what it needs.

The supps help restore your balance and sense of self. THEN you are in a position to fight this thing.

Good luck & stay well!

Comment

Startingover is reading that book now. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...cure-5231.html

The Pain & Stress Center also take that approach and have information books and sell products.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I cannot stress enough how much the aminos have made a difference to me....

Comment

Thank you everyone...I am so going to check this out! I've been searching for an answer for so long...

Comment

Schaefer, yes, please do check this out.
                              Might I suggest while you are doing this that you try the All One. Its an amino acid and vitamin and mineral blend and for me is an essential tool to my wellbeing. Its not cheap, but each time I have tried to stop taking it, I notice a terrific crash in my mood (others do too :-))
                              I get mine from Vitacost, its the cheapest place I have found it.
                              Buy Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com

Comment

Working...
                              X