• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Do You Drink?

To the best of your knowledge?
    Keep on keeping on

Why Do You Drink?

Boredom! I am a SAHM with two boys 15 and 12 who are going through awful teenage years. However, I'm on day five AF and have hit the gym 4 times this week, reading like crazy and accessing this site, watching very little t.v. because that's when I did my drinking -- watching t.v. from 8 - 11 and necking as many beers as I could. Hopefully changing my routine will keep me AF.

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Habitual Nightly Habit drinking wine with dinner turned into addiction and blossomed into alcoholism.
      Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Boredom (I hate monotony) & a bit of social phobia.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Drew said something like "boredom is an addict's depression" on last night's episode on celebrity rehab.
        :notes:
        My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

to relax me after a day with my challenging son, turned into a habit, as above to alcoholism, helps me sleep.
          Twitch

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Because I was born an alcoholic. I used to think it was fun, now I see it was just a lie to continue my addiction. Realizing I am an alcoholic is not enough. I have to work at becoming a non drinker. I will always be an alcoholic, just not an active one, is my plan.

R2C
            Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
            :h

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

For fun just like everyone else in the beginning. Then, to escape from the reality that my life was not turning out the way I had planned. To numb myself from the pain of my marriage.

Now if drink, it is not to become numb. it is to enjoy it socially. I have come a long way but also have a long road ahead that i know will never end and I will never lose sight of where i have been. I am no that person anymore. I am looking at life the way to. on my terms.
              Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Because I was born an alcoholic.
                That statement fascinates me.
                I was born a female
                You mean you've taken on the role of 'alcoholic' at identity level?
                That's some kinda self -talk goin on there.
                Let me know when I can relieve you of your ball and chain!
                Keep on keeping on

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

To relax in the evenings. I drink red wine from about 7:00 until 11:00 in front of the tv with my laptop on so I can play solitaire, shop, facebook, etc. Tomorrow night will be the last night of this. I am so ready to stop. I pray I will.

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Hmmmm...such an interesting and simple question. Yet I'm struggling to answer. If I think back, it's just always been a part of my family. My mom drank, there was drinking at holidays, it just was always there, always seemed normal. Now it is so ingrained in me I don't know how to get it out of my life. I am trying like hell, but it is like brushing my teeth...it's just what I do.

I so desperately want it to be different.
                    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

I drank to relieve anxiety, to 'escape', in other words....to self medicate.

Dora

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

I used to ponder this question a lot. I really don't any more. Whatever the reasons were that I started drinking as a teen (to fit in, to "loosen up" socially, etc.) did NOT apply as I drank my way through a few decades.

In the end, I drank because I am addicted to it and my brain wants a fix. I don't give it a fix any more, but it still things it wants one from time to time.

Maybe there was a time when I thought I drank as a "stress relief" as one common example of why people believe they drink. If I wanted to drink and didn't have a stressful situation going on right at that time, I would create one. (i.e. pick a fight with hubby to give me an excuse to drink!)

Very twisted indeed, this addiction business. At least for me it was.

The danger for my in "I need to figure out why I drink" game is that I thought if I could just understand the "why" of it, then it would magically be easy to stop. Maybe that would be true for someone who is not addicted. But as a general rule, people who have an easy time stopping drinking don't generally end up here at MWO!

Anyway...Why? I'm an alkie. That's the bottom line. The rest of my BS was just that.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

I drank because I was lonely, tired, stressed, happy, celerbrating, it was daylight, it was the 3rd Tuesday of the month, I was a wake. I drank because I'm an alkie and that's what I did. The rest were just excuses.
                          AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

I used to drink all day everyday because I was agoraphobic and had social anxiety disorder which meant I was scared to go out, to stand up, to sit down, to eat, to do basically anything in front of anybody. Being in an al bubble helped that. Now that I have been 'cured' of that, I am left battling the residual addiction. I wish I had been diagnosed and found the right cure earlier then maybe I wouldn't be in this mess. But I am, and finally I am dealing with it.

How about you Suni? (If you want to share)
                            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Why Do You Drink?

Hi all,

I drank because it was customary and expected. My genes or whatever then helped me over the edge into a serious drinking problem. But like Ready said, I was probably born an alcoholic. It is rampant on both sides of my families' heredity.

Hey, Suni, please take my ball and chain and make it all go away, and so much easier.

Thanks MYO once again for the assist.

com
                              Com1

Comment

Working...
                              X