Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downside of AA

Great thread!

I am enjoying everyone's feedback as I sit here waiting in a doctor office, great book I am reading started me crying, about a woman, a little younger than me, but without kids,going thru divorce, like me........ Touching me in so many ways I can't explain..... This is easier to read, thanks cinders & hippie& everyone else!:thanks::thanks:

MA:l
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Downside of AA

hippie37;789646 wrote:

Powerless does not mean we admit defeat otherwise we can not become empowered due to resenting the fact that we have somehow 'lost' the battle. We haven't lost anything. We find ourselves in letting go of something we have no control over.
      I didn't think AA was for me either - until I started to take a closer look. I learned more about it coming to MWO. An example is the above quote. There's a lot more depth to that program than what I thought. I met some people there that are real long term sober - one 37 years! None of these people are "powerless". They are strong, healthy, positive individuals who are sober and have stayed that way. Sometimes I feel like a long term sober person around here. In reality I have 5 months, which is a lot for me, but I also plan on staying this way, and any tool that helps needs serious consideration.

Anyway, whatever works for anybody is OK, as far as I'm concerned. This seems to be a never ending learning process, not just a goal. To reach any goals, be it one AF day, or a week, or 30 days, it is little steps, little lessons, learning to deal with life on a daily basis, something some of us never learned. Do whatever works. Never be afraid to try something else if it doesn't.
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Downside of AA

The issue is I believe as humans we equate "powerless" to failure. That is NOT what it means. To me seeking God's help has given me freedom. I tried for a very long time to "beat it" alone. I couldn't seem to do it. I am not a weak person...i left home at 16, finished high school, put myself through college...I am a single mom of 2 children and we live comfortably...so, I have accomplished many things...but, I was powerless over alcohol. The day I said...."here ya go God, lets fix this deal"....is the day I began to heal and I haven't had a drop since. You have to believe in what you are in essence seeking help from. I believed God would heal me and get me on the road to recovery. When I stopped fighting myself and just let God do his thing...alcohol no longer consumed my life or my thoughts or my money! I think what is hard for some is letting go and letting God!
        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
        X