Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey There

:new:

I've been lurking since New Years when I finally admitted to myself that I have a serious problem with alcohol and must start to consider myself an alcoholic. My addictive mind tries to justify the amount of booze I have been consuming but when it comes down to it I just can't believe someone who does not have an alcohol problem will:

-down a bottle of wine in 10 minutes because the cannot cope with a visit from family
    -steal swigs alcohol from the in-law's pantry during family visits
    -end up in a psychiatric ward for a week after going mental from mixing anti-depressants with alcohol
    -drink red wine from a travel mug on the way to the cabin
    -think its appropriate to start drinking the first of many at 3:00 on a regular basis
    -be 32 with numb toes and tingling fingers
    -lie awake at night worrying about being an alcoholic

I have not been drinking since New Years Eve and am already starting to feel like a new person. I am putting off going to AA because I think it will make me uncomfortable (True addict, trying to avoid any negative feeling). I am going to try and participate on this board for support and get support from my wonderful husband. I am reading books about addiction and getting sober and am feeling really good and confident!

Just an introduction!

Hey There

:welcome:NewGirl2010,

You've made a huge step today by coming here and asking for help. Well done for staying sober since New Year.

You'll get masses of support from good, kind people. Ask any questions. If someone doesn't know there'll always be someone who does.

Have a look in the tool box to help you set up your plan.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

The numbness in your fingers and toes is probably a lack of Vit B1 (thiamine) but have it checked out with your doctor to make sure.

Best of luck and let us know how you're getting along.

J x

:l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hey There

Welcome, New Girl. You'll find lots of support from caring people here. Congratulations for not drinking since NYE - that is a great start! Keep reading on this board - check out the other threads. There is a ton of helpful information.
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Hey There

New Girl-Hi! We all try to justify why our drinking is okay- and have done what you are doing right now- admitting it's not. You are only 32 and realizing it way before a lot of other people have- be proud of that- and welcome! Best wishes and conratulations on being quit since New Year's!
        It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Hey There

Hi NewGirl and :welcome: to MWO.
          Congratulations on being AF for so many days. What a great start for the New Year!!
          You have no doubt already read many posts so you know that you will find lots of support here at MWO and lots of information as well. Looking forward to getting to know you. Take care, be strong..
          Stirly
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Hey There

:welcome:

I highly reccomend the supps. Not only for cravings but to help heal the damage AL does to us. Especially milk thistle, its really good for you.

Sending you support as you start your journey.

:l
            Ak
            :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Hey There

NewGirl2010;789806 wrote: :new:

-down a bottle of wine in 10 minutes because the cannot cope with a visit from family
              -steal swigs alcohol from the in-law's pantry during family visits
              -end up in a psychiatric ward for a week after going mental from mixing anti-depressants with alcohol
              -drink red wine from a travel mug on the way to the cabin
              -think its appropriate to start drinking the first of many at 3:00 on a regular basis
              -be 32 with numb toes and tingling fingers
              -lie awake at night worrying about being an alcoholic
              Yep, all the above. Except I'm 35. And I actually just got hospitalized twice for being intoxicated-- against my will, uninsured, to the tune of $8,000, in place of the ward part. I too decided I was an alcoholic, despite many in my family denying this.

You have started a wonderful journey. I am almost 90 days sober. The last 90 days have been more productive and meaningful than the last year. Its great to remember every moment, never be anxious about what you did or MAY have done, not sweat profusely when everyone else is comfortable. I am regaining the respect I lost from everyone I know, one day at a time. You won't regret taking this journey. Life is too short and precious to spend it in a haze.
              :welcome:

Comment

Hey There

tingling

Just a short note....I had the tingling as well in my hands, legs and face. I thought for sure I was having a stroke. After many tests I was sent off to a neurologist....it turns out that is was because my anxiety was so high....I was shallow breathing all the time. Try taking 10 deap breaths that go all the way to your belly.....on a daily basis. It helped me. I was 29 at the time.

Comment

Hey There

Hi NewGirl,

Welcome to MWO, it is a good place!
                  If you haven't already download & read the MWO book. It is full of useful info.
                  I highly recommend the Hypnotherapy CDs as well. They really help reinforce all the new things you are learning!

Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread & let us know how you are doing.
                  Congrats on your AF time - you have a great start!

Wishing you the best!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey There

Thanks for the Support

I have the MWO book. I bought it a couple years ago when playing with the idea that I may have an alcohol problem. I like the alternative the author offers. I am taking several vitamins at the moment but think that I may try the milk thistle. I am trying to take some calming vitamins as well such as valerian.
                    Reading other threads has made me aware that most people struggling with alcohol have very similar experiences and it is good to know others can stop. Gives me some hope. What has worked for me is keeping everything healthy. Eat right, working out, thinking things out, yoga etc...
                    I found the tools section quite helpful and I was able to watch that British Documentary and boy did that add to my motivation or what! It was very heartbreaking.
                    Anyways thanks and I hope to be around much more!

Comment

Hey There

:welcome:hallo newgirl 10, we are all struggling witht the same demon here, I get tingling finger's too, mine is carpel tunnel syndrome, just a thought, and feel honored I have at last discovered how to use the smilies and you have my first!!:l:l day 4 af for me all down to the wonderful support I get here, love and hug's Tawnywitch:h
                      Twitch

Comment

Hey There

Hi and welcome!

Welcome to mwo newgirl!! :welcome: :welcome:

this is a great place! You will find lots of support, advice, help and love & care here, really found a wonderful place, just jump right in and read read read, ask ask ask, you will be surprised at how much you live it here!!

Good luck, nice to meet you!!!:l:h

MA
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                        X