Reading Posts Instead Of Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far I haven't done as much drinking in 2010, although becoming fully AF is still my target. In any event, I've decided to recount how I avoided drinking tonight, as it's such a basic strategy that is easy to underestimate. I felt like I would be bored out of my mind if I didn't drink tonight, and my body was truly screaming for some whiskey. I was just about to give in when I started to feel guilty about my decision. As often happens, the addicted part of my brain basically said 'fuck it', and I nearly drank anyway. However, rather than pour a drink I bargained with the addicted part of my brain and reasoned that I was going to take some time to read posts at MWO, as surely it would be no big deal to postpone drinking for a half-hour or so. To my surprise, suddenly an entire hour had passed with me reading a ton of different posts, both current and of the past, and in the process I lost the immediate urge to drink. Part of it was surely nothing more than getting wrapped up in something, but another factor was definitely reading about all the misery and faulty thinking involved in so many of our individual decisions to drink. So now I can drift into a peaceful, alcohol-free sleep and awaken in the morning with the pleasant thought that I have logged on another alcohol-free day. All because of the simple act of reading posts instead of drinking.

Elegant in its simplicity, JB911. Well done & keep at it!

Comment

Addicted to MWO instead of al!
      Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

good for you Jim, whenever you feel antsy get on here and read posts or chat. Cravings don't last too long when you are busy.
        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

:goodjob: Jim,

MWO is part of my morning routine (and afternoon,and evening)
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good stuff Jimbo. For me, it was my thinking, not my drinking, that was the problem.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good decision, Jim Beam! This place saved me many a time in the early days especially and to me, a little aversion therapy is a good thing. And overcoming our urges with small steps - it's true they don't last all that long, time wise. That nasty little voice starts getting a lot quieter once we recognize it and choose not to listen anymore.
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
              X