CowGal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CowGal Update

Dr Phill;794998 wrote: About six, maybe eight weeks ago, MaryAnne told me for the first time about the drugs that her doctor had been prescribing for her alcoholism. He / she refused to let her have Baclofen (a perfectly safe, but admittedly untested medication in this arena). So, for her "anxiety alcoholism" she was prescribed Clonazepam (klonipin), even though her doctor knew that she was getting her own Baclofen. She was also taking "sleeping tablets".
    What a horrible cocktail. Especially if you are still taking the odd drink.
    She said that she only took the clonazepam when she felt she had to. Even worse!!
    I went absolutely ballistic.
    She decided to stop the clonazepam in a controlled way. I made her promise me that, after that, she would throw them away. I guess she didn't.
    Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever died of a Baclofen overdose. A long sleep is about all that happens.
    Clonazepam is a totally different beast.
    You may consider that this thread, at this time, to be wholly the wrong place for this discussion. I know in my heart that MaryAnne would wholeheartedly agree with me that this is precisely the right place at precisely the right time.
    The next sound she and I want to hear is the sound of a thousand toilets flushing. Flushing away all the unnecessary dangerous lethal drugs that many of us have in our houses. The most vulnerable people get prescribed the most powerful of medications. And often with little or no supervision. It's a medical paradox. Or a disgrace, if you will.
    So, my friends .....
    If you need it, and a doctor has prescribed it, you MUST take it.
    If you don't take it, and are generally OK, and your doctor is OK about it, get rid of your surplus.
    Don't store dangerous "brain-altering" drugs away for a 'rainy day'.
    People like you and me have more rainy days than most. And we're tempted more than most.
    That should be MaryAnne's mantra to us all.
    I mean no offence. Ask her when she's well. She'll tell you.
    Pip xx
    Incredibly well said Dr Phill, I would say. I don't know MaryAnne personally (yet, god willing) but you do so well.

I'm shocked but not alas entirely surprised that some have picked up on MaryAnne's situation to make Baclofen into a scare story, when you explain so well that it was the cocktail as a whole, and if I understand it right, especially the sleeping pills added to the mix with alcohol, that made things so very dangerous:

thesinclairmethod.com • View topic - PLEASE TAKE HEED - WARNING RE BACLOFEN

You are always in my thoughts MaryAnne, and in my prayers too that you will get better very very soon. I cannot wait to meet this incredible lady that everyone is talking about!!

Much love,

I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

CowGal Update

Thank you Virgil Caine for the update. This is SUCH good news! I am so happy for MA and her loved ones that she is pulling through!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

CowGal Update

OMG!!

VirgilCaine thank you SO much for that, what incredible news!!!!!

All I can do is give my biggest
        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

CowGal Update

Oh what a wonderful wave of goose bumps I just got reading your post virgilcaine! What great news!
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

CowGal Update

Thanks for the update, Virgill. i am absolutely thrilled, this is marvellous news. Please give her my love and best wishes, and tell her we are all looking forward to her return to us!

Comment

CowGal Update

Oh..that's is the best news Virgil!! I don't know who you are, but you must be someone close to her. Give her all our best and tell her we miss her and all her little smiley faces!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

CowGal Update

Thank you, virgilcaine for theupdate ............. Goosebumps here too!!!!

Send her love from Betty Boop too, as soon as I can I will tell her myself ....

Thanks to god too for miracle of saving MA ..........

BB xxxxxx
                sigpicXXX

Comment

CowGal Update

Lest there be no

eight days a week;795089 wrote: Incredibly well said Dr Phill, I would say. I don't know MaryAnne personally (yet, god willing) but you do so well.

I'm shocked but not alas entirely surprised that some have picked up on MaryAnne's situation to make Baclofen into a scare story, when you explain so well that it was the cocktail as a whole, and if I understand it right, especially the sleeping pills added to the mix with alcohol, that made things so very dangerous:

thesinclairmethod.com • View topic - PLEASE TAKE HEED - WARNING RE BACLOFEN

You are always in my thoughts MaryAnne, and in my prayers too that you will get better very very soon. I cannot wait to meet this incredible lady that everyone is talking about!!

Much love,

Let's be under no doubt
                  MaryAnne's "brain problem" is not because of Baclofen. Far too complicated for that. As is mine. As is yours. "Multifactorial" as medics call it. Remember, I have been a surgeon and a lawyer.
                  It is because of the cocktail of nonsense she had easy exposure to.
                  Take an anxious, shy, scared, timid person.
                  Make them clever. Because they are very clever
                  Throw them into an arena they don't totally want, but that their 'society' expects.
                  Where money rules, but they don't quite get it.
                  Put expectations on them. It doesn't matter if they're normal expectations for everybody else. Because, we're actually bigger people, by and large.
                  And with that, you breed a certain type of alcoholic.
                  Not all, but enough for a lot of us.
                  What do you think?
                  Pip xx

Comment

CowGal Update

About six, maybe eight weeks ago, MaryAnne told me for the first time about the drugs that her doctor had been prescribing for her alcoholism. He / she refused to let her have Baclofen (a perfectly safe, but admittedly untested medication in this arena). So, for her "anxiety alcoholism" she was prescribed Clonazepam (klonipin), even though her doctor knew that she was getting her own Baclofen. She was also taking "sleeping tablets".
                    What a horrible cocktail. Especially if you are still taking the odd drink.
                    I log on several times a day to learn of MaryAnn's prognosis. So glad to hear she is pulling thru. She is a much loved individual and I hope the mandated counseling she will recieve benefits her. She has been thru alot.

That said, I have to wonder WHY in the world a doctor would prescribe such an addictive drug, that clearly warns about the use of alcohol intensifying it's effects, to an admitted alcoholic???? That sounds like sheer insanity to me. I suppose we have to take some responsibility ourselves when prescribed medications to educate ourselves as to possible side effects which may be possible. This really disturbs me to think that doctors are prescribing drugs this way.

Hurry back MA, we miss you.

R2C
                    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                    :h

Comment

CowGal Update

Praise God! Dr Phill.....I can not believe her doctor prescribed klonopin knowing of her drinking problem. Klonopin or Xanax mixed with AL will put a person in to respiratory distress. I will be so glad to see her back on these boards.
                      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

CowGal Update

i'm so glad that cowgal is getting better. what a scary ordeal for her loved ones.
                        i don't know her, but i have read many of her posts, and she has been thru alot lately. i'd say, she must be one strong lady. i look forward to getting to know her when she's back posting on MWO. hopefully soon.

peace to her

Comment

CowGal Update

brittzak;795106 wrote: Praise God! Dr Phill.....I can not believe her doctor prescribed klonopin knowing of her drinking problem. Klonopin or Xanax mixed with AL will put a person in to respiratory distress. I will be so glad to see her back on these boards.
                          Join the club, my friend. Join the club.
                          Polypharmacy at its worst
                          And it all around us.
                          Some on MWO "hate or dislike me, or don't trust me". I don't care. My polypharmacy message will save more lives in 3 months than abstinence saves over a lifetime.
                          Believe me.
                          Polypharmacy kills.
                          Pip xx

Comment

CowGal Update

Deleled

Comment

CowGal Update

;795105 wrote: That said, I have to wonder WHY in the world a doctor would prescribe such an addictive drug, that clearly warns about the use of alcohol intensifying it's effects, to an admitted alcoholic???? That sounds like sheer insanity to me.
                              I wonder about this myself. When my doctor prescribed me a benzodiazepine drug, she gave me a lengthy lecture emphasizing:

a) NEVER to mix it with alcohol, and
                              b) It is highly addictive

Moreover, my doctor refused to prescribe me a large quantity of the drug to prevent me from abusing it, and made it clear that if I ever admitted to mixing it with alcohol she would never prescribe it to me again. In any case, she scared the hell out of me and I've only ever used it as intended, for occasional insomnia. But yes, not all doctors seem to monitor their patients carefully and prescribe medication like candy.

Comment

CowGal Update

Dr Phill;795104 wrote: Let's be under no doubt
                                MaryAnne's "brain problem" is not because of Baclofen. Far too complicated for that. As is mine. As is yours. "Multifactorial" as medics call it. Remember, I have been a surgeon and a lawyer.
                                It is because of the cocktail of nonsense she had easy exposure to.
                                Take an anxious, shy, scared, timid person.
                                Make them clever. Because they are very clever
                                Throw them into an arena they don't totally want, but that their 'society' expects.
                                Where money rules, but they don't quite get it.
                                Put expectations on them. It doesn't matter if they're normal expectations for everybody else. Because, we're actually bigger people, by and large.
                                And with that, you breed a certain type of alcoholic.
                                Not all, but enough for a lot of us.
                                What do you think?
                                Pip xx
                                I can relate to an awful lot of this personally Dr Phill. I also completely agree about taking drugs together. No studies have ever been made on most of the medicines we are given in tandem even by our doctors, goodness only knows what the combinations may be doing to us.

When I posted I meant about dear MaryAnne's present brain challenges, what caused them, and how some were using her as an example of how dangerous Baclofen is, rather than the dangers of the cocktail of meds, and more importantly perhaps (??) the other drugs she was taking (with alcohol).

I see someone has seemingly made a new account just to attack you. Very sad.

Anyway, there's much truth in what you wrote for me, thank you.

Now, let's get this thread back to Mary Anne and our prayers for her, for what has so far been as much as we could have ever expected her recovery to be just a couple of days ago.

More prayers are needed and this has got to continue!!

8 xxx

Comment

Working...
                                X