Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when you're in a bad mood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "bad moods" lead me to drink. I find that every now and then I just feel angry, irritable, and tense. It happens reliably every month when I'm premenstrual, but sometimes it seems to happen out of the blue, too. I hate it. It's then that I'm most likely to think about drinking wine. It soothes my mood, makes me cheery and patient with my children, and I feel relaxed and free of that anger and tension. Of course, though, I want alternatives. Even the two or three drinks that seem to be my usual max leave me a little depressed and anxious the next day.

Sometimes I try to just tolerate the mood; live through it, knowing I'll be glad the next day if I don't drink. But sometimes I feel so tense, I get almost desperate for an escape. When you're a mother of three young kids, it isn't easy to follow the usual suggestions...Take a nice warm bath; go for a walk; read a good book. The kids are ever-present. I don't want to hide away from them, even if I can. A glass of wine is quick, efficient, and easy to consume even while playing Monopoly, building with blocks, or cooking dinner. What else will work?????
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

IMHO, Sara, you need a scheduled break. You time. Every day. You can look forward to that, count on that, like you do a glass of wine now. It's no easy fix, and not as quick as wine, but it doesn't have side effects, you won't be 'under the influence' if your children have an emergency, and you may get a chance to pursue things you've abandoned while caring for the children all the time. It all takes work, baby.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

This is a good question. Usually I find myself "white knuckling it" through my grumpy moods. Sometimes I am in such a bad mood I react harshly to my kids when they get on my nerves. I usually just leave them with my hubby and have some time to myself. I wonder how people who don't drink cope with their moodiness?

Comment

I take deep breathes. And if the craves come I ether come here or think of you all. I only will drink when I plan to and not all of a sudden.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Sara,

How about just doing some ridiculous dancing or jumping around? Put some music on (I've been known to put my headphones in whilst cooking/cleaning etc. so I can't hear the kids/husband etc., gives me 5 minutes switch off time. Long, even, controlled breathing - a square of chocolate, get a joke book or watch a you tube video that makes you laugh.

It's good that you recognise your trigger, I'm sure that there'll be many more suggestions after me, and something will work for you - good luck!

Bets
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

BTW, my grandchildren had wonderful grandparents who I could send them to. And I wasn't drinking, but LORD! I needed that break. Now I'll take all my grandchildren at one time, something no one else will dare. I love the insanity for a day or two!
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

L-Theanine works great for me. Whenever I am feeling anxious or out of sorts I take it and it seems to help.
              :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Good question Sara.
                I had a "moment" last night and caved. Honestly I was ready to smack the brother over the head for leaving the freezer door open, then the daughter knocked over a glass of juice and the dog farting was just the cherry on the top!!
                In future, I'm going to try some breathing techniques I learned in yoga a while ago and see if that can help me.

Hang in there -- I know it's hard.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Exercise!!

Comment

I don't really know any stratagies I just get on with it and get grumpy now that I'm trying not to drink but I have 6 children, the first 3 are all grown up and left home so from my time with them I have learn't that childhood passes so fast and I miss it when it's gone so with my younger 3 I try to just step back and remember that it's such a short time in the whole scale of thing's and appreciate them while they are young warts and all, just my feeling's, prob no help but so many parents wish this time away becauses it IS hard, but when it's over you will look back and miss it, enjoy them, being grumpy is part of lifes rich tapestry of feeling's love and hug's Tawnywitch
                    Twitch

Comment

Hi Sara,
                      Can you go for a jog/fast walk before kid's wake? Or put them in pram, and walk/jog with them in tow?
                      Set up a punching bag out the back, get some mit's, and enjoy yourself. Jog on the spot, and hit the bag, with kid's in view? Do 10 minutes, or more, and you'll soon feel relaxed, and also quietly energised, and you'll work off some of that anger. We have to do the work though. It's hard, but possible, and many mum's use these simple, free method's, at their own pace, to let off steam, and relax, in the home, while watching the kid's. We can make the time, or not make the time. We can be pro-active and change our headspace, or be passive and let lazy choices win. Our choice, of course.

Best wishes on your journey.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Sara,

When my kids were younger and really really pushing the limits of my patience. I would put on some loud rock music and we would dance and sing at the top of our voices. The kids would join in and before long we'd be hot and breathless and forgotten why we were all so cranky with each other.

J x
                        It could be worse, I could be filing.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

DeeBee;794171 wrote: Good question Sara.
                          I had a "moment" last night and caved. Honestly I was ready to smack the brother over the head for leaving the freezer door open, then the daughter knocked over a glass of juice and the dog farting was just the cherry on the top!!
                          In future, I'm going to try some breathing techniques I learned in yoga a while ago and see if that can help me.

Hang in there -- I know it's hard.
                          :H:H:H
                          This reminds me of last night. In bed, Mr Starts farted, I shouted and Fudge (the dog) fell off the bed.
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

This is a really good topic, and one I really had to fight through with the white knuckles for a long time. I still have my moments, but here is something that has helped me reduce the problem by IMMENSE degrees.

I try to look at what is making my moody/grumpy in the first place and see if that can be addressed. The serenity prayer is my guide. Is it something I can control and change? If so, then deal with that. If the cause of the mood is something out of my control, which it often is, then I need to let it go. Saying the serenity prayer over and over seems to help me let things go sometimes that I cannot change.

I found that I am often angry over things I cannot change, and am therefore really wasting my energy on.

I truly rolled my eyeballs around in my head when that was first suggested to me. But I didn't have any better ideas so I gave it a try. It has really helped me.

Just a crazy nutty idea,

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hmmm good ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X