Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Just Realized I'm a Dry Drunk!

From Wikepedia:

Dry drunk is a colloquial expression which describes an alcoholic who no longer drinks but is still behaving alcoholically.

Also very interesting:

The Dry Drunk
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

To add to this (from my personal experience):

Getting sober means that you start to see your situation as it really is. And it can be a "sobering" surprise. For me, it meant I realized things were worse than I thought they were when I was drinking. This is a realization that will drive a person to resume drinking, or to find a "replacement" for alcohol. So, it's only when one is able to address their issues sober, albeit that their issues take on an even more daunting nature, that they can recover.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Time4Change1;794928 wrote: Hey guys, im on the end of week 2 being af. I went out last night to a bar with friends. well a band show where lots were drinking. i said no and had to admit to my friend i couldnt or would get nauteous ( taking antabuse) when she kept insisting i take a sip of her drink. i hate talking about it with people in my life. anyway, it was rather boring being there and it gave me no pleasure to be out when normally id have enjoyed it. because i wanted to drink obvousally and also because it adds more excitement to the music and atmosphere. the fear i have of not drinking for awhile makes me feel like i wont have my lows yes, but i wont have my highs either... excitement.. etc... am i just feeling like this because its so early in my sobriety or does this feeling never really go away when your sober for awhile?
        Proud of you for getting out and standing your ground with your friend. I'm in the same boat as you...I love going to hear/see live music and always have a few drinks to lubricate when I do so...But I am determined to do it w/o drinking. I don't want to lose something I love so much just because I can't drink. I think with time and practice you WILL be able to, Time4Change1. I know I am just laying low for now in those types of situations.

Comment

Working...
        X