100 days.. stilll finding skeletons in my closets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is my 100 day milestone. I am very excited to have done this, and I'm getting to the point where my "dry time" is approaching the period of time I spent mostly wasted (May-Octobober, with some AF weeks in the middle). Anyway, not a day goes by where I'm not somehow reminded of my binging time. It can be a comment from my kids, about something I did I don't remember, or worse. Today, I stopped in the local gas station to grab a soda. The clerk said "I haven't seen you in a while". I responded something like I haven't been in much. Then he said "last time I saw you, you couldn't talk and you were bleeding profusely from your head". Wow. One of many times I made the short drive across the street to buy another tall boy completely black-out hammered drunk. Sad. Its a miracle I didn't get a DUI or kill somebody. Does this happen less as time goes by? I hope to rebuild a reputation for being a good guy, just takes time. I guess I really left a path of destruction around me. And then, there are others who never connected the dots. My neighbor two doors down, the one I am closest too, was completely surprised when I told him what had been going on and my new direction three months ago. My kids and ex wife have regained faith, as has my next door neighbor. They let me watch their cherished puppy the other day.
    Oh yeah and last night I had a memorable dream. There was exactly 100 beers in my fridge, of assorted brands. Kinda funny I gues.. The beast even stalks us in our sleep.

Gearhead ........... we haven't met,

I can totally relate to this, and you made me smile ......

A huge well done on 100 days, you should be really proud of yourself .....

BB xx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Congrats Gearhead! I too found the 100 day mark to carry a special feeling with it.

As you continue to walk soberly through life doing the next right thing, you will be building a new and better set of events for people to remember you by. It gets easier and better with time.

Strength and hope to you,

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Gearhead,

Congrats on 100 days!!!! Soon you'll run into someone and they'll notice how good you look ... I lost 19 pounds (just from not drinking). Trust me, it keeps getting better!

I bet watching the puppy sober was pure joy!
        Tiny

Comment

congrats on your 100 days gearhead - I too am still haunted by stories of what I used to get upto when drinking - it makes me cringe not only because they are embarrassing but I don't remember doing half of the stuff.

As we continue racking up AF days under our belt I am sure those stories will fade.

congrats once again
          It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Congratulations on 100 days. I am sure that the longer you are AF the less these stories will surface. Hold your head high!!

Comment

well done gearhead 100 days is great,even now for me i still get reminded of some of the thinks i done and said,but mostly there said in a good humourly jokely way,i am even laughing at myself as well.keep up the good work

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Gear, in my society, Southern women just DON'T drink, get DUI's, show up at family functions to wobbly to walk or talk. My parents were almost legendary in their honor, charity, strong family ties, and I found much to my surprise I was looked at in much the same way. There are people who have enjoyed my terrible fall from grace. It hurt terribly at first, since I don't understand that meaness in people. In the last few years, however, I've learned that trying to explain, excuse, share my experiences with them is fruitless. It is a waste off my time, my life, which I value so much now, to deal with them. IF it comes up, I'm honest and short in my reply, and in some cases I know are just out of malicious curiosity, I just ask why they need to know, what's their point. It usually stops right there. The past is the past, and we can't re-ring that bell. It's today, and tomorrow that we can control now, and that's what's important. I regret some things in my past, but it is done, and it helped make me who I am today, with experiences that help me relate, if that makes sense. You will find that people who are true of heart will love to see the change in you. The others, well, if they're focussing on you, they're not dealing with something in themselves. "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it's a waste of time and annoys the pig."
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Awesome...1st 100 days, great job. I can relate to your dream as I have woken up thinking why am I not hung over with all that you drank last night only to realize "hey I didn't drink this was a dream/nightmare" and yea our minds are a fascinating computer. Waking up feeling good and not trying to remember what I did last night is an awesome feeling, I have 2 more days and I will celebrate 1 year since I decided to re-claim my life and make it worth living.

Keep up the good job, the rewards are worth it.

FT
                  AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                  As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

rubywillow;795468 wrote: Gear, in my society, Southern women just DON'T drink, get DUI's, show up at family functions to wobbly to walk or talk. My parents were almost legendary in their honor, charity, strong family ties, and I found much to my surprise I was looked at in much the same way. There are people who have enjoyed my terrible fall from grace. It hurt terribly at first, since I don't understand that meaness in people. In the last few years, however, I've learned that trying to explain, excuse, share my experiences with them is fruitless. It is a waste off my time, my life, which I value so much now, to deal with them. IF it comes up, I'm honest and short in my reply, and in some cases I know are just out of malicious curiosity, I just ask why they need to know, what's their point. It usually stops right there. The past is the past, and we can't re-ring that bell. It's today, and tomorrow that we can control now, and that's what's important. I regret some things in my past, but it is done, and it helped make me who I am today, with experiences that help me relate, if that makes sense. You will find that people who are true of heart will love to see the change in you. The others, well, if they're focussing on you, they're not dealing with something in themselves. "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it's a waste of time and annoys the pig."
                    Thank you for writing this, what you've said makes PERFECT sense.

Thanks to all for your congrats and encouragement.

I had 2 ALCOHOL FREE beers tonight. That's not cheating, right?? I guess it bothered me a little that there is some fractional percent of alcohol left in the product. But that's no different than using mouthwash (not chugging it!!) or having food cooked in wine??

Reminds me of an episode of "Beavis and Butthead" when they thought they were drunk on N/A beer. The cop showed up, looked at the bottles and said "you guys aren't drunk, you are just stupid"

Looking forward to my next milestone: 6 months!!

Comment

Working...
                    X