What do you notice most about sobriety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be curious to know what some of the long-term abstainers have noticed most about being sober. In my 18 days AF thus far, I have definitely noticed that my thinking has become clearer, my short-term memory has improved, and I sleep better at night. While this is all well and good, I'm curious about what other benefits I might reasonably expect by remaining AF. Don't get me wrong, this post is not a covert admission that I'm thinking of returning to drinking, but rather just an honest curiosity on my part.

For me at 18 months + of sobriety I notice my depression is gone, I am much more motivated to succeed at the kind of life I want. For example I lost my job last year, now I am looking at a completely new career and studying at university. I would never in a million years have done that if I was still drinking.
    I look much better too which is a nice bonus :-)
    Great going with the 18 days JB, those first days are tough I know!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I have noticed that I have ALOT more free time. And the attention span to finish longer projects. And I agree with startingover, depression goes hand in hand with drinking.

Comment

JimBeam911;800746 wrote: I would be curious to know what some of the long-term abstainers have noticed most about being sober. In my 18 days AF thus far, I have definitely noticed that my thinking has become clearer, my short-term memory has improved, and I sleep better at night. While this is all well and good, I'm curious about what other benefits I might reasonably expect by remaining AF. Don't get me wrong, this post is not a covert admission that I'm thinking of returning to drinking, but rather just an honest curiosity on my part.

...Me Too....thanks for asking!

Comment

The greatest gift sobriety has given me is inner peace. I feel I am maturing with that too. I don't feel as though I'm fighting a battle anymore. Even when I'm fearful, angry, scared, etc there is still this inner peace that allows me to handle these feelings without wanting to reach for a drink. Without that, all the other pieces of the jigsaw would not fall into place for me. It gives me a feeling of connectedness within the world so I don't feel as isolated anymore. That in turn enables me to live in the real world rather than an illusionary one with the demons as my tour guides!

Love and Light
          Phil
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I noticed just the other day that finally my short term memory seems better.

I'm less irritable.

I FEEL better.

I'm a better parent.

I'm starting to feel like me again, and gaining some insight.

I lost some weight.

I guess these are the main changes I see in myself.

(Totally sober almost 18 months)
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

i don't have pains in my sides
              no anxiety in the middle of the night
              i get alot more done during the day
              i exercise most days
              i am really "there" with my loved ones
              my dogs get walked everyday
              i have self respect because i'm not lying to my husband an kid everyday

ahhh, i could go on and on!

Comment

I feel much more with myself,i dont feel as :creepydude: as i was ,and i am not living with a:bagdudever me,Also my whole relationship with all my family & close friends has improved dramatically,not to say my relationship with my children,i am much more mature and dont get as much stressed,and when i do i can deal with it. My life has completely turned around and all of it for the better :rockon:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I find myself laughing - really really belly laughing and feeling a genuine gleefulness in small things, I havent laughed or felt really smugly content and happy in a very very long time. Its not all the time, that would be exhausting!! but seriously, lovely little flashes of joyful moments
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

I see now that their is a beautiful world out there beyond that grey mist that once hung around my head.....IAD
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm guilt free!
                      Every night as I go to sleep I know I have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.
                      Every morning when I wake I know I can just start my day without having to deal with any guilt first.

This is total freedom
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

No more suicidal level of depression. I knew I was turning a page in my life when I threw the cache of pills away. Thoughts of drinking (wanting a drink, needing a drink, recovering from drinking, planning the days drinking) no longer dominate my thoughts. So that's where I started this journey to sobriety. For me, no anti-depressents were needed - just no more booze.

No more constant guilt, remorse, shame.

Today life is so much different! I feel that peace of mind Phil spoke of more and more of the time. I've lost 50 pounds and have progressed greatly in my exercise / fitness program. I've started my own little business in addition to being a REAL contributing part of the business I have with my husband.

I'm being blessed with true friends and learning to love and be loved.

I'm learning to truly appreciate all the blessings in my life and am getting better at spending some grateful time each day.

I'M GETTING A LIFE!! One that feels worth living.

Congrats on your 18 days AF. Those early days can be a real challenge! I hope you stick with it to see what all the fuss is about. Give yourself a year AF, then see if you want to go back. Are you up for that challenge????? SAY YES!!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

JB, definitely inspired by this thread. Thanks for starting it, and thanks to all those who have contributed.
                          Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Working...
                          X