Drama created by alcohol finally ended by sobriety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so excited. Long winded story, but finally some closure.

I had the worst year possible last year, just about wasting everything away possible in my life.

I got divorced in March, then set about partying more and more. I did all kinds of horrible things: spent copious amounts of money on alcohol, had drinks upon waking, drove drunk, drove drunk with a child (UNFORGIVEABLE-- I will never forgive myself for that), offended people, seriously thought about suicide, seriously thought about stealing beer when I ran out and it was afterhours.

I ended up with a ex-wife prompted "wellness check" by the sheriffs deputies, resulting in an unwilling hospital visit via ambulance, an order of protection served by my ex between her and the kids and myself in August. The following week I pleaded with her to get my son back, only to have nearly the same thing happen again in October, after doing well I had a serious binge week where I missed my daughter's soccer game, got seriously behind in work, and nearly broke my bank account.

Reviewing my court paperwork and contacting a lawyer, the seriousness of the situation began to sink in. At my first hearing in October, I was told to participate in random ETG sccreening, participate in AA, and see a counselor for 6 weeks and then to report back. During that time period, konwing that 1 drink would mean losing my son, I gained an immense hatred towards alcohol. This 6 week period was HELL as my ex had temporary sole custody, and used it spitefully against me constantly.

At the next hearing, the judge was very impressed with the negative test results, and restored my parental rights, and allowed me to stop the random testing, with only a follow up phone hearing to remain. My attorney was strong and helped champion this decision. I continued my sobriety proudly, even went out and went to a couple of parties and was totally fine with being AF.

I let my guard down with the ex, our co-parenting relationship improved. I helped her move into her new home. She told me she had every intention of dropping her petition, which I fully believed.

I had my final hearing today. Up until the hearing at 2:00 today, I thought she was my friend again. When my ex was offered the opportunity to withdraw her petition, she began backpaddling and discussing how she was a "better parent". The judge dismissed her petition, despite a last feeble attempt to attack my parenting (how often I buy clothing for my kids was the best she could stammer out in the apparent rage I heard from her on the phone). The message from the court was clear, if the kids are safe then joint custody should not be touched.

I thank god for the second chance I have been given. I have many regrets about the events of last year, emotional, parentwise, financially, but I am greatful to have come full circle. I still fight the urge, but every passing day that goes on, its diminished a bit. I don't miss sweating all the time, not being able to remember something I said, being drunk and homebound, or hiding empty bottles. I can remember the smell of alcohol coming out of my breath and find it revolting. My nightly ritual is surfing youtube, watching drunk drivers, and intoxicated people in general, knowing that I never want to be "that guy" again. I also look at MWO and read new postings daily. Thanks to all my friends here. I have recieved nothing but care and friendship here, and enjoy reading all of your posts!
    Thanks to all you guys
    AL gearhead=R.I.P.
    good dad/neigbor/engineer gearhead=alive and well

Gearhead,

Your story is wonderful. I am so grateful you found your way out and decided that a good life as a father was much more important than drinking.

Thank you for posting. It made my day.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

What a story Gearhead!
      Against a backdrop of what must have been sheer hell, you came through. Amazing and very well done. These stories are the ones that bring home the seriousness of this condition.
      Thanks for sharing.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Wow Gearhead! if I were a man I'd sound like you! Unfortunately, Im in the midst of a custody battle w/my soon to be ex and currently seeking a divorce. I've been a full time mom since 1987 and now my daughter is living btwn my mom and myself,my eldest lives w/ his girlfriend and the custody battle is for my youngest-my son. You give me hope. Stay strong.

Comment

I totally get you.....thank God you Got It....I'm so proud of you....you are a true hero, keep up the good work! Thanks for your story!
          "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Very proud of you, Gearhead! So happy to hear of your success and that things in life have smoothed out. Death to drama! Health to you!

:l

Comment

I just LOVE the title of your thread -- it just says it all doesn't it.
              Well done on your sobriety Gearhead!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Gearhead thanks for sharing. I was touched by your story, you obviously love your children very much and want to be a better man. I think we all have regrets for things we did in the dark days of alcohol addiction but in my opinion we need to learn to forgive ourselves in order to fully move on, learn from these mistakes and make damn sure they never happen again. I wish you strength and all the best for you and your families future, you can beat this.
                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Well done gearhead and i am delighted things are starting to look up,keep at your goals as they are well in your grasp,dont let them go,dont forget your past but dont live in it.wishing you the best..

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Gearhead - Your story sent chills through me!

I wish I could give you the BIGGEST HUG for all you have been through. Posts like this that SO important to remind me why I never EVER want to go back to that dreadful life....
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

Hi All
                      Congradulations on getting al out of your life. When people ask about the benefits of getting al out of their lives they should read this. You have been given back what is so important to you your child. It is a simple equation life -al = custody.
                      I didn't say it was easy. It could turn out to be the hardet thing you have to do in your life.

It is one of the strongest bonds in our lives that of wanting our children.Yet it can and should be denied if we aren't able to stay sober to raise that child in a proper way.
                      Gear so glad to see you enjoying your new life without al.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                      AF 5-16-08
                      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                      AF 5-16-08

Comment

Gearhead, what a great example of what can be gained by refusing AL.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Excellent news - I remember your struggles at the beginning - all power to you!

Bets
                          x
                          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

QUOTE=Gearhead;800752] I also look at MWO and read new postings daily. Thanks to all my friends here. I have recieved nothing but care and friendship here, and enjoy reading all of your posts!
                            Thanks to all you guys

Thank You Gearhead Great Post to read, Well Done !
                            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

good work gearhead!

peace

Comment

Working...
                              X