Newbie With a Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie With a Question

I am new here with 24 hours AF! Yay! I went to an urgent care clinic for some advice during withdrawals yesterday and the Doc gave me some lorazepam which has helped immensely with the shakiness. After 20 years of fairly heavy drinking, I am sure I have devastated my body, and the Doc told me to go to my primary Doc for an exam.

My question is shall I go see my Doc and perhaps find out what damage I have done, or should I simply move forward with faith that the body will heal itself the best it can now that I am taking care of it? My fear is that he will find out all the bad things and then I will think there is little hope and that I might as well just drink into oblivion.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    RivEd
    :crazymonkey: RivEd

Newbie With a Question

hi & welcome rived, There is always hope, you have come to a great community with lots of support & advice,i dont know to much about doctors and meds,but i do know by ignoring any damage done to your body will just excellerate the problems and by drinking yourself into oblivion wont change anything for the better.read as many posts and threads here as you can and you will see that you are not alone.goodluck hope you stick around,:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Newbie With a Question

I have no external health problems related to drinking; it is my internals that worry me. Does it make sense to go to the Doctor and unearth all that ugliness that I have done to myself if it will not change my new direction in life? How about if I just look forward to abstinance coupled with a very healthy lifestyle, and the knowledge that life is short and I need to enjoy every moment to its fullest.?
      :crazymonkey: RivEd

Comment

Newbie With a Question

:welcome: Rived! Congrats on your decision to ditch the poison.

I don't know that there is really a "right" answer to your question. Sounds like a person decision - weighing the potential risks / benefits of going or not going for more tests.

There is no doubt that you will ultimately be in a healthier place if you give up the booze, and take up some exercise and eat healthy - both of which can really help making giving up the booze easier.

I recommend downloading the My Way Out book from the health store here and giving that a read. It's a great place to start!

Strength and hope to you,

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbie With a Question

I recommend going to the dr's especially if you have been strong drinker for 20 yrs-I am and have been going to dr's checking my over all health I believe that I have done some damage but the more knowledge I have the better chances I have of correcting problems or preventing them from getting worse and ultimately putting myself into a state of health where not drinking will not even make a difference! I don't want to get to that state of health where SUFFERING is the inevitable sober or not. So yeah go to the docs and be in the know! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! N GOOD LUCK

Comment

Newbie With a Question

Hi and :welcome:

I think Doggygirl is right....it is a personal decision.

But I think if you did decide to go to a doctor you would be able to be more accurate on what you decide to do to help heal. You would be better informed on what specifically needed help.

Its a tough decision and even if you don't go to the doc, just going AF and having a healthier lifestyle is awesome!! Oh, and look into some of the supps, milk thistle is great for your liver.

:l
            Ak
            :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Newbie With a Question

Rived,

Congratulations on making the decision to quit drinking! I've also used Lorazepam, and I agree, it works very well during alcohol withdrawal syndrome. I would advise scheduling an appointment with your physician, as our bodies can improve greatly from quitting alcohol even in the wake of significant damage.

For example, I have one family member who might soon be taken off the liver transplant list due to such a marked improvement in her liver functioning, much to her own doctors' surprise. I have another family member who had high blood sugar and was informed that if she didn't stop drinking, she would develop Type 2 Diabetes within a few years. By quitting drinking and changing nothing else about her lifestyle (she still smokes and doesn't eat the best diet), her blood sugar has returned to normal levels.

The key point is that quitting alcohol alone will do wonders for your body, so there is no need to feel that your health is doomed even if your doctor discovers some damage. Best of luck!

Comment

Newbie With a Question

Hi rived,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
                You've made a great decision to quit drinking & take care of yourself

As responsible adults we should take ourselves to the doc every so often for a check-up. Unless you are having problems that need to be addressed immediately I wouldn't worry about running in today! The clinic doc told you to follow up with your primary doc because it's his job to tell you that.
                Do consider making an appointment to go in sometime soon - it's always a good idea to get a baseline on your labs, etc.

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread. Lots of people there just getting started as well.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbie With a Question

Maybe you could take two weeks and do some wonderful cleansing and then make the appt. I did a liver test as have many others here with a broad spectrum of results. You don't list what and how much you have been drinking or if you have been taking other addictive substances. That could help bring some answers your way.
                  You can go on holistic healing thread and read there. Also, I would suggest going to buy green tea bags, brew tea daily, drink tea with honey, tea with lemon, iced or warm. Drink some tea with Ginger root and fennel. Also, water, water, water. and more lemon. Milk Thistle is also a very good liver cleanse. And If you aren't timid about cleansing your own body, pure coffee enemas have been tauted throughout the health industry for years. A mini trampoline from a sports authority is a great body oxygenation tool, jumping like that gets every cell moving. You can probably just do a body cleanse search and come up with this and much more that you can do for yourself.
                  Good Luck to you and congrats!! Good for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X