Does not drinking alleviate worry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone find they worry less now they are not drinking? I'm talking about worry in general.

I used to worry incessantly about anything and everything, but find I'm not now. I don't know if this is due to giving up the drink or because of new hormone meds I'm on.
    Alcohol is poison to my life - AF 04 January 2010

Hi Sky,
    For me it did. I used to worry hugely about big things, small things and in between things. Now I really dont. I have a much more laid back attitude of "what will be, will be"
    That is purely down to not drinking I think.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I'd say my lack of worry in the beginning was very superficial because I was heavily in denial of how serious a problem I had. I used to compare myself to other alcoholics and addicts and think, I'm not that bad really!

So I could never manage to stay stopped for long periods and I guess unconsciously I was still living in constant fear through the denial.

Like starting though I have an attitude today, through my acceptance of my alcoholism, that has given me some inner peace finally. That has only come gradually through more of an awakening or awareness of who I am and what my behaviour has been like in the past. It hasn't as such taken the fear away but I know how to handle situations a bit better today without my thoughts looking for a way out through the drink. I still worry about a lot of things; which is only natural.

Only recently there was some big changes at home which caused me to worry whether I could cope with looking after my elderly mother. I still worry whether I'm doing "the right thing" on many occasions but it never escalates to a stage these days where my thoughts will completely take over so that things are not manageable in my life.

So I would say I still worry and have fears like everybody else today but I don't drink on them or more importantly use them as excuses to drink. That's the big difference for me. It's not about eradicating my fears and worries but learning to live and cope with them when they do arise. For that I have my own set of tools (which I won't go into now!).

Love and Light
      Phil
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Sky;801878 wrote: Does anyone find they worry less now they are not drinking? I'm talking about worry in general.

I used to worry incessantly about anything and everything, but find I'm not now. I don't know if this is due to giving up the drink or because of new hormone meds I'm on.
        Not at all....I would say that for me, worrying just gets magnified without the alcohol along with all my other feelings and emotions....by the way, what hormone meds are you taking and what is their purpose towards being a/f? if it's ok to ask...

Comment

Worry has definitely reduced for me. Worry was connected to anxiety and obsessing when I drank. Now, most of that has gone away although I would still characterize myself as being more anxious than most. FYI, many folks who drink have some type of anxiety disorder. The al is a way of self medicating.
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

I would say 'yes'. Heavy alcohol use is a well-known contributor to anxiety, particularly during the early phase of alcohol withdrawal. I definitely feel much calmer and worry less with sustained abstention from alcohol.

Comment

Working...
            X