Byron Katie - The Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byron Katie - The Works

I was fortunate enough to see this woman in action at a Recovery Conference here in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago.

I believe she has appeared on Oprah a lot but was wondering if anyone here has tried following this technique of 'turning it around' through "The Work".

What is The Work?
    The Work is a simple yet powerful process of inquiry that teaches you to identify and question thoughts that cause all the suffering in the world. It's a way to understand what's hurting you, and to address your problems with clarity.

The Work of Byron Katie

Look forward to hearing some of your comments if you have any.

Love and Light
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Byron Katie - The Works

I haven't seen or heard of this before, Phil, but will check into this. You always come up with the most interesting info.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Hi Hippie
      I attended a workshop last year in London with Byron Katie and I thought she was truly amazing!

I have her book "Loving what is?" and it has giving me great tools to accept things because they are the way they are. I would have loved to here her speak specifically about recovery.

I have used "the work" to deal with some issues although not for a very long time, thank you for the reminder I think I will get back on it. If anyone is interested you can go to her website and download the questionaire to print off and use.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Hipper, going to save this on my favorites so i can read this later, sound interesting Thanks !
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Hi Folks,

I used to see a therapist who was a staunch follower of Byron Katie. I have the book "Loving What Is", which I read about 18 months ago but my memory isn't what it used to be! From what I recall, I found it difficult to apply her approach and I was a tad uncomfortable with her style of writing. OK, that may seem trivial but it's important to me. However, I greatly respect my previous therapist's point-of-view and I am very open to re-considering Byron Katie's approach. Perhaps I ought to read her book again.

I will keep an eye on this thread with interest.

V.
          "Love's the only engine of survival"

Leonard Cohen

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Thanks for posting this, Hippie. I think the work is totally brilliant. Keeps reminding me that I am powerless over my thoughts . . . until I put them on paper and question them. And the piece about whose business is it? Well, can't count the number of times that has not only kept me in my own business but out of deep trouble. There are many wonderful tools out there, and the work is one of my top go-to resources. Intense, though. I sometimes describe Eckhardt Tolle's work like a radiant sunrise and Byron Katie's like a laser. But I feel blessed to be on the planet at the same time as these teachers - AND Leonard Cohen!!

"In our rags of light". . . .
            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Red - I LOVE her teachings on whos business are you in! I completely agree with you, it has made me bite my tongue on many occasions. If someone wants my two cents worth I wait till they ask me......
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Byron Katie - The Works

Byron Katie, The Work, Is it true? Part 1 ? Industry (Video) ? Inexcess

Here's a short video from Inexcess TV. The person/guinea pig who is getting 'worked on' is the manager of the treatment center I was in called SHARP and someone I have a lot of love and respect for.

This should give you an idea of how it works.

Love and Light
                Phil
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
                X