Improved Blood Circulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have problems with my circulation before, but after going AF I've noticed that my circulation seems to have improved. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm aware that alcohol is not good for the peripheral nervous system or the heart, but I've never really heard anything about it hindering blood circulation. This is definitely not my imagination either. My exercise level is the same as it was before going AF (which is a fairly good level) and my diet is essentially the same- just no booze. Very curious to hear anyone else's experience with this.

What exactly did you notice was different? Warmer hands and feet or what?
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I started running again and two thursday's ago went out and did 8 miles nonstop. Given the winter weather and inability to run consistently, I would have never been able to do this while drinking and more than likely would have stopped to walk at least 3 times.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

greeneyes;804963 wrote: What exactly did you notice was different? Warmer hands and feet or what?
        The difference I've noticed has been in my legs/feet. I don't know if I've accurately emphasized things, as I have never had problems with my circulation. I'm a long-distance runner, so my blood flow is more than adequate. However, after giving up alcohol it has appeared to get even better. Definitely warmer feet/legs.

Comment

Here is an excerpt...

from a web page with the link to the whole article following. I know that one of the by-products of alcohol synthesis is lactic acid. That's also the same lactic acid produced when your body goes anaerobic. That's when you feel the burn. Your body actually gets better at removing lactic acid when you exercise hard which is part of reaching a higher level of aerobic and anaerobic fitness. Sorry to drag on....
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
          Alcohol and aerobic ability
          If you aren?t as concerned with your strength levels and figure this means alcohol is a safe bet for you, you may want to think again. Even when it comes to aerobic activities, alcohol affects performance.

In this scenario, alcohol can cause an increase in blood pressure throughout the body and a corresponding increase in heart rate.

Since your heart will already be working at an increased rate during aerobic activities, the additional stress from the alcohol will only amplify the heart rate and make the exercise feel harder than it should.
          Alcohol & Muscles

Keep on running,
          H

Comment

Been meaning to post on this thread....

Hi JimBeam911,
            I use to get bad pins and needles in my feet and legs and also my arm and hands, i would wake up in the middle of the night and my arm or leg would feel really heavy i use to panic because i could not feel the sensation in my arm or leg.( i would only get this at night time when im sleeping) Never really put it down to alcohol.....
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

JimBeam, I don't know if this is relevent. There is also a possibility of other factors besides AF at play. (at the time I quit drinking, I also was tested and started bioidentical progesterone and estrogen, and also natural porcine thyroid meds)

My blood pressure around the time I quit drinking was 140 over something....probably between 90 and 100? Since that time it came down substantially and has been tested repeatedly in the range of 105 - 110 over 65 - 70. No BP meds ever.

I also started exercising around the time I quit drinking so I'm sure that had an impact.

I had a pain in one of my feet during the last year or two of my drinking that wouldn't go away and had me slightly limping all the time. I did not see a doc for it, so have no idea what it was. But it's gone never to be seen or heard from again.

I'm sure that bringing my hormones into better balance was helpful to my overall health stats. I'm also sure that eliminating the massive qtys of booze has also contributed in a large way. I'm just not sure which has done what. (maybe you have an opinion - I find this stuff very interesting!)

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X