St. Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Who?

I don't wish to put any dampers on the way anyone feels about St. Valentine's Day, and to be frank, I'm wondering if I should post this at all, but I know there are some people here with broken hearts and bitter thoughts and beautiful memories of things that didn't quite work out.
    It may be a huge trigger.
    It's just another (Hallmark) day for me.
    I was just wondering......

St. Who?

Popeye;805412 wrote: It's just another (Hallmark) day for me.
    Ach, ya big slushy romantic Popeye :H
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

St. Who?

That's alright Popeye....my patron saint was St Bernard.....Ha! (Cause of the drinking and all ! Ha!) IAD
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

St. Who?

So thoughtful of you, Pop. We more or less just use it now as an excuse to buy candy for our grands. (OK, for us too!) So many things, tho, can be a trigger for different people. I'll just think of it with humor. Everyone needs a good laugh whatever the day.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

St. Who?

Popeye;805412 wrote: I don't wish to put any dampers on the way anyone feels about St. Valentine's Day, and to be frank, I'm wondering if I should post this at all, but I know there are some people here with broken hearts and bitter thoughts and beautiful memories of things that didn't quite work out.
          It may be a huge trigger.
          It's just another (Hallmark) day for me.
          I was just wondering......
          Yes, Popeye, it could bring back unhappy and maybe painful memories for some people. I personally would rather Mr. Stirly bring me a single flower or a chocolate bar some day just because he felt like and not because it's some commercial "Saint's Day". Sorry... I like my prezzies "just because"....not "because...
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

St. Who?

Popeye,

I think holidays in general put so much pressure on us to feel or behave in a certain way. On Valentines Day 10 years ago, I broke the news to my dad that his radiation therapy for lung cancer was not working and that it was time to hospice care. He died less than 1 month later. It was a "heavy heart" day.

I will take time tomorrow to give my girls cards and gifts and extra hugs.

Here's a hug for you too.
            :l

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

St. Who?

Every day should be love day! I have lots to go round to any who might think they have a little empty spot in their heart. Sorry but I ate all the choccie.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

St. Who?

rubywillow;805424 wrote: Everyone needs a good laugh whatever the day.
                And your avatar does it for me.:H

Comment

St. Who?

Nature says it best

Love from above: Nature serves up a Valentine's treat with heart-shaped lanscapes | Mail Online
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

St. Who?

Marshy;805416 wrote: Ach, ya big slushy romantic Popeye :H
                    I love you too Marshy

I'm as romantic as the next man (if the man next to me is W.H.Auden) and at least as romantic as any big old, slushy, long drink of pish could ever be.

I was just wondering

Comment

St. Who?

momof3;805431 wrote: Popeye,

I think holidays in general put so much pressure on us to feel or behave in a certain way. On Valentines Day 10 years ago, I broke the news to my dad that his radiation therapy for lung cancer was not working and that it was time to hospice care. He died less than 1 month later. It was a "heavy heart" day.

I will take time tomorrow to give my girls cards and gifts and extra hugs.

Here's a hug for you too.

M3

Comment

St. Who?

Born: ? * Birthplace: Roman Empire * Died: c. 270 (beheading - ?) * Best Known As: The namesake of Valentine's Day Saint Valentine, according to romantic legend, was a kind-hearted Roman priest who married young couples against the wishes of Emperor Claudius II, and was beheaded for his deeds on the 14th of February. In truth, the exact origins and identity of St. Valentine are unclear. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "At least three different Saint Valentines, all of them martyrs, are mentioned in the early martyrologies under the date of 14 February." Two of these men lived in the third century A.D., one being the bishop of Interamna (now Terni, Italy) and the other a priest of Rome. (Some speculate that these two figures were actually the same man.) Both seem to have been persecuted for their beliefs; the Roman priest reportedly was beaten and then beheaded on the orders of Emperor Claudius II, on or about the year 270. Legends vary on how the martyr's name became connected with romance: the date of his death may have become mingled with the feast of Lupercalia, a pagan festival of love, or with the ancient belief that birds first mate in the middle of February. In modern times Valentine's Day is a day of special romantic sentiment and gift-giving among lovers.

JUST A LITTLE INFO ABOUT ST. VALENTINE. IAD
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

St. Who?

Oh, you romantic devil, you! :H
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                          X