Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of interest 'Ages'

This reminds me it is about health

I am on Da y 2 with my quest for freedom and have been on MWO alot today. This thread is great I am actually 28 and have been trying AA to quit for years. It reminds me though that is really is about not projecting and it really is about health. I've been on about 2 bottles of wine a day for a year now, and other things daily before then it just came to the wine for me. Its hard to deal with being young and different i.e. not a normal drinker but I don't want to end up with cancer or cirrosis(Sp?) or any other such things and if I don't do something now who knows how long it could take and where it will take me? Its scary....I have started to worry about losing my job as it is already. Thanks everyone for sharing good stuff.
    I ain't afraid of no ghost....

Comment

All: 44 years old here! My drinking issue escalated at the age of 39. The past 5 years has been a living hell. It's so true that alcoholism is a progressive disease.
      September 23, 2011

Comment

So true Reenie. I've never heard an alcoholic yet come back from a relapse and say it wasn't as bad as previous ones. It only gets worse.

Love and Light
        Phil
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

:H Dancealot

Going on 45 here... the new 35(?) I think?
          Looking back I don't think I've ever drank 'normally' but was under control for the most part. Had a bout with AL but caught myself at age 33 (after divorce) - spun completely out of control 2007-2009.
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

sunshine_gg;806823 wrote: :H Dancealot

Looking back I don't think I've ever drank 'normally' but was under control for the most part. Had a bout with AL but caught myself at age 33 (after divorce) - spun completely out of control 2007-2009.
            A lot of us are functional alcoholics. We can say we're not like the guy lying on the sidewalk, and therefore think we're OK. My father had a good job for 46 years, a masters degree, was well read, read to me as a child and taught me to love and respect books. He also kept a bottle in his desk, taught me to drive while he consumed a pint of vodka (thank God for drivers ed classes at school), taught us kids about wet/dry lines within the city at a very early age...... I also thought I was "in control" in that after a point I was careful to not put myself in the questionable situations I would when younger. I still drank every night, always more than other people. I deluded myself that meant I was OK, or controlling it. Actually, while I was "controlling" it I do remember I inadvertently got alcohol banned from all future company parties. Now if I think about it, that was far from the only AL related situation...... (cringe)

Also, I think you are only 19, since I'm 10 years older than you!
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

bump
              Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

sunshine_gg;806823 wrote: :H Dancealot

No...the whole universe just stops at 29. Welcome to the 29er club!

How are you today Flip Top? Hope you are hangin' in. This is a good thread!

:welcome: Marriedgirl

It is said that alcoholism is a physical, mental, and spiritual malady. I believe that. Physically, I ran the same risks that all heavy drinkers do of diseases that kill - cirrhosis of the liver just being at the start of the list of possibilities.

Sometimes we forget what the mental malady is all about. For me, it was an ever increasing obsession with "getting a fix." More and more of my time was spent as the years went on either recovering from drinking, drinking, or planning my drinking. It got so bad by the time I hit my 40's that this mental obsession had taken over much of my life. That was a horrible way to live and it made me suicidal. So yes, the mental malady was very real for me.

Alcohol also sucked the soul right out of me. I put alcohol first before family, husband, friends, responsbilities, jobs, etc. I didn't hesitate to lie like a rug in order to "justify" drinking, cover up drinking, be left alone to drink, etc. Then the guilt and shame and remorse set in. And then I drank some more to try to escape that. What a spiritually empty way to live.

Even if a person is not all the way there yet - that's where the path of alcoholism leads. Get off the train now if you can see that's where you are headed!

The good news is that we CAN recover and life DOES get a whole lot better if we work at it.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm still still not telling you

But I feel 29,probably younger. For the first time in my life I can look back on yesterday with no regrets and no shame.

I'm happy, I'm more positive and I actually look forward to a new day.

You put it beautifully, DG.

J x

:l
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Doggygirl;807195 wrote: No...the whole universe just stops at 29. Welcome to the 29er club!

How are you today Flip Top? Hope you are hangin' in. This is a good thread!

:welcome: Marriedgirl

It is said that alcoholism is a physical, mental, and spiritual malady. I believe that. Physically, I ran the same risks that all heavy drinkers do of diseases that kill - cirrhosis of the liver just being at the start of the list of possibilities.

Sometimes we forget what the mental malady is all about. For me, it was an ever increasing obsession with "getting a fix." More and more of my time was spent as the years went on either recovering from drinking, drinking, or planning my drinking. It got so bad by the time I hit my 40's that this mental obsession had taken over much of my life. That was a horrible way to live and it made me suicidal. So yes, the mental malady was very real for me.

Alcohol also sucked the soul right out of me. I put alcohol first before family, husband, friends, responsbilities, jobs, etc. I didn't hesitate to lie like a rug in order to "justify" drinking, cover up drinking, be left alone to drink, etc. Then the guilt and shame and remorse set in. And then I drank some more to try to escape that. What a spiritually empty way to live.

Even if a person is not all the way there yet - that's where the path of alcoholism leads. Get off the train now if you can see that's where you are headed!

The good news is that we CAN recover and life DOES get a whole lot better if we work at it.

DG
                    Im doing good got a really strong craving earlier after an argument with my dad but managed to control it by getting myself busy in the kitchen I was told it goes down hill after 30 but I dont believe it

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Hmmm...I have no idea how things go after 30! :H

Good for you getting busy with something else rather than focusing on your urge OR the *whatever* with your Dad. Distraction, distraction, distraction.

So...what are you cooking and what time should we all be there???

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Love this thread.

I have been thinking th same thing.

I'm also 29 (what a co-incidence)! But I have been 29 for 10 years.

Comment

I'm 48.

Comment

I'm 34, never married, no kids, highly educated, successful in my previous career, absolutely gorgeous (or so I'm told, but it makes no difference to my life because I'm a a completely non-functioning alcoholic who is barely hanging onto life right now by the bits of his fingernails he thankfully forgot to trim a few days ago).

Any takers? :H
                            I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

eight days a week;807260 wrote: I'm 34, never married, no kids, highly educated, successful in my previous career, absolutely gorgeous (or so I'm told, but it makes no difference to my life because I'm a a completely non-functioning alcoholic who is barely hanging onto life right now by the bits of his fingernails he thankfully forgot to trim a few days ago).

Any takers? :H
                              Im from the south as well must be something in the air around here

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Doggygirl;807231 wrote: Hmmm...I have no idea how things go after 30! :H

Good for you getting busy with something else rather than focusing on your urge OR the *whatever* with your Dad. Distraction, distraction, distraction.

So...what are you cooking and what time should we all be there???

DG
                                mmmmm home made meat balls and pasta all in my tum tum tum

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Working...
                                X