More Prayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Prayers

I received word today that a friend of mine for over half a century is in critical condition in the hospital. I've HEARD for several years she is a heavy drinker, but would not go to the doctor when she first got sick, maybe from shame. Her liver is failing, and the family is trying to get her on a transplant list. This may not happen, because of the reason for her illness. In the last few days, they have removed over 11 liters of fluid from her abdomen. I remember her as a tiny, pretty, soft-spoken girl who loved lacey clothes and everything girly. She was Hubs girlfriend at one time, then set he and I up on our first date, double-dated with us and her boyfriend for almost a year. Her parents were very conservative, her daddy a Methodist minister, and her sister is VERY conservative still today.
    She's been a bartender for many years, I've found, and apparently couldn't stop what she was doing to her body. I have a feeling this will end badly.
    Alchohol is a killer, people. I'm seeing it more and more in people my age. Please, take a moment and say a prayer for her and her family, and another one to think how important AL REALLY is to you. Is it really worth your life?:h
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

More Prayers

Oh Rubes,
    :l:l:l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

More Prayers

Ruby I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. When I was still drinking and into the early time of sobriety, I would often think in "spoiled brat" terms about wanting or "deserving" to drink. Very rarely did I face the fact that alcohol KILLS. It kills directly in sad situations like the one your friend is in. It kills indirectly through car accidents or other dangerous drunken behavior.

When I think back now to how desparately I wanted to keep alcohol in my life somehow, some way, I KNOW this stuff made me completely crazy. Why would anyone who has seen or experienced the dark side of alcohol dependance want alcohol in their life?

Hugs to you Ruby...

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

More Prayers

But for the grace of God and all that........
        Do you mind me asking around how old your friend is ?
        That's just so sad.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

More Prayers

Ruby sorry to hear about your friend. I will say prayers for your friend, her family and all of her freinds.
          Maybe someone who reads this post will think twice before having that next drink. That would be something positive that could come from this terrible situation.

Comment

More Prayers

Sorry to hear about that Ruby, Yes, alcohol kills. I'm sure we all know someone who died directly or indirectly as a result of alcohol abuse. I know two. One aged 54 and one aged 61. Wait, there is another, a 10 year old girl who died because her dad was driving drunk. Maybe we should start a thread called " How many people do you know of who died as a result of alcohol abuse"
            make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

More Prayers

I'm sorry about your friend, Ruby. This is something we need to keep in the forefront - alcoholism is a fatal illness. We must remember that whenever we contemplate taking a drink. That could be any one of us. Thank you for sharing this. Love, prayers, and hugs to you and her family. :h
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

More Prayers

Ruby I am so sorry about your friend...this has been such a hard time for you my dear friend.....remember to look after ruby too!!!.....XOXOX
                :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

More Prayers

Thoughts and prayers for your friend Rubes....:l
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

More Prayers

Rubywillow,

First off, very sorry to hear about your friend's illness. I'll admit that it doesn't sound promising from what you've described, but I wouldn't count out your friend yet.

Nearly three years ago my aunt was in essentially an identical situation. She was rushed to the hospital with a perforated ulcer, and while in surgery it was discovered that she had cirrhosis of the liver. The surgical team had an immensely difficult time stopping internal bleeding, and her liver was barely functioning at one point.

However, by quitting drinking and following a strict diet, her condition has improved enough such that she has some quality of life. More importantly, after six months of sobriety she was eligible to be placed on the transplant list, which should be possible for your friend if she pulls through. Alternatively, if she can find a match from a family member, there is always the possibility of a living donor liver transplant, thus circumventing the tribulations of the transplant list.

The main point is that even a massacred liver cam improve without alcohol. We thought my aunt was as good as dead, but amazingly her liver function has actually improved a bit over the past three years.

Comment

More Prayers

Thank you all. My friend is 58. One other thing I'd like to point out is that, as I mentioned, her family is very religious, conservative. They raised her very much with the strict, old-Southern mores that women DID NOT drink, all drinking was a sin, a for a woman to drink was a disgrace to the family. To this day, they do not talk about it. There was no education about AL's REAL effects on the body, especially for women, only that an alcoholic woman was of low character. I don't know if any of this had an affect on her behavior, but believe it did. She changed so radically after she became an adult it was hard to believe. Maybe if we're taught, and come to believe, we are without worth, we become what we are called.
                      Thank you for your prayers. If nothing else, let this please be a wake up call to those of you waivering about the decision to cut AL out of your life completely. For most of us, it is the only way to save our lives.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

More Prayers

Rubywillow, thanks for sharing the info about your friend. I felt that I was ruining my health with consistent alcohol consumption, and the more I know, the less I want to drink. There is really no justifying it at all.

I wonder what condition my liver is in? 30+ years of drinking. It is good to know though that with abstinence and healthy diet, there can be hope.

I send your friend health and wholeness.
                        Redhibiscus

Comment

More Prayers

So sorry......

Ruby,

My prayers go out to your friend and her family. Alcoholism is a very devastating illness. Thank you for the reminder of what we are REALLY doing to ourselves if we continue to drink.

Miss O.
                          Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

More Prayers

Ruby-I am so sorry about your friend. Boy - you have been going thru way too much lately. Praying for your friend and for extra strength for you, my friend.
                            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Working...
                            X