Sugar-Free Lent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar-Free Lent

Monday, new week, new month! same lent I am over M&M peanuts! I really didn't eat many, but I am marveling at how alcoholic that behavior was. Grrrrr.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

greeneyes;814260 wrote: Monday, new week, new month! same lent I am over M&M peanuts! I really didn't eat many, but I am marveling at how alcoholic that behavior was. Grrrrr.
      I hear you on the sugar behavior = AL behavior front. I don't even want to DESCRIBE some things I did prior to giving it up for lent! I'm really glad we have this thread because not wanting to fess up to a sugarholic episode here with you guys is the only thing that has saved me from myself!

So I'm soldiering on sugar free. (and low carb which is really helping!)

Like you M3, I'm finding that the longer I stick with it, the less intense the sugar cravings get. Avoiding processed carbs helps that as well I believe.

Well Greenie...:b&d: back on the wagon for you my friend!!!!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

I read a little book by Michael Pollan called Food Rules, An Eater's Manual. Lovely little book with rules like "avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry" and "the whiter the bread, the sooner you'll be dead". It is dedicated to his mother "who always knew butter was better for you that margarine". The rules are in 3 chapters... eat food.... mostly plants..... not too much.
        sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

Det posted this link elsewhere - Aspartame's new name: AminoSweet

America's Deadliest Sweetener Betrays Millions, Then Hoodwinks You With Name Change
          sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

I learned that lent ends on Easter and it is 40 days from Ash Wednesday, not counting Sundays. I thought that was interesting.

It is a relief to be in my house with no candy here. I didn't think so last night :H, but it is really.
            sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

Boy giving up sugar is sort of a microcosim (sp) of giving up AL for me. (probably for everyone to some degree??) Anyway, when I let sugar creep back in, I realize I started using it to deal with things like boredom, stress, etc. etc. Sound familiar?? And MAN was my body going cookoo for cocoa puffs there for awhile. I'm finally settling down to where sugar doesn't excite me. I don't want it in the house, but I allowed the dessert on the table at lunch to sit there without me obsessing about it. Whew.

Day Whatever and boy am I glad. Now I need to get my workout schedule back in order. I've been missing too many days. I still have several more sugar pounds to get rid of, although a couple have come off despite slacking on exercise.

Oh and M3 - the brand switch adjustments to thyroid meds continue on. I've had to go up a 1/4 grain on Naturethroid from where I used to be on it. And I might even have to go up another 1/4. I will probably try that in a few more days and see how I feel. I keep wondering if all this dose fiddling would have been needed if we had been able to get one consistent product through the last year instead of changing brands and formulations every 5 minutes. [/rant over]

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

I can't even imagine how anyone can totally give up sugar and all processed foods. There is sugar in damn near everything! I know it would probably make me feel better to get it out of my system, but for now I think I'm doing pretty good just by eliminating the treats. I'm already contemplating what I will have for dessert on Easter! I will have to try pretty hard to not go back to my old ways. AND that damn bag of homemade cookies keeps reappearing on my counter!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

LVT25;816705 wrote: AND that damn bag of homemade cookies keeps reappearing on my counter!
                  Torturing yourself, eh LVT? I am like DG with the sugar. I really am relieved there isn't candy and stuff in the house. so much easier. Now giving up celibacy is another issue entirely. That is just not going well at all! :H
                  sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

There is a box of home-made choccy truffles on the table in my dad's room at the nursing home. I hate them being there. I will take an orange and eat it slowly while averting my eyes. I was watching a program by Dr. Christiane Northrup and she talked about stress and the cortisol and carb craving that goes with. The nursing home is stressful to me. I understand why chocolate there is such a wicked temptation.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

So everybody is being perfect I assume? I am doing well, except when I went to the coffeehouse last Sat. night...... a slice of coconut cake was forced upon me. (bought it and ate it) I am definately craving less.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

I am pretty proud of my self discipline of late. I have made cookies, cake, bought cream puffs, not to mention my mother in law baking cookies for my guys every other day and they won't keep them anywhere but out in the wide open. And I have had nothing, but the small licking of the spoon and a bite of ice cream. Last night, I couldn't sleep, a cookie with some milk usually does the trick, and there was a fresh bag of chocolate chip cookies from my MIL right there. But I had Alpha Bits instead! Oh, and a valium! :H
                        It would be a good idea if I keep this up longer than 40 days!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

LVT25;824267 wrote: But I had Alpha Bits instead! Oh, and a valium! :H
                          :H:H:H:H
                          sigpic

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

think i should join this thread. im diabetic so i cant eat sugar much, and if im having a funny diabetic do i have to have sugar so i can stuff myself with chocolate and call it medicine. :H tee hee does that count. funny it never stopped me drinking anything AL though... even lovely sugary sweet baileys irish cream and cointreau.
                            trouble is, anything thats sugar free and fat free tastes like its sugar free and fat free.
                            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Sugar-Free Lent

though i do have a recipe for sugar free, fat free bannana cake. its not bad but its better covered with lashings of butter and syrup... whoops!
                              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Working...
                              X