Lifting the Veil of Alcohol Intoxication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now logged 31 days of sobriety, my longest ever over the course of the past 13 years. Although it's still early, I can assert without exaggeration that alcohol COMPLETELY deluded my thinking. It convinced me that life was pointless and that the only real pleasure was alcohol. That I was fundamentally different from other people, and thus NEEDED to drink to feel normal.

The reason I'm writing this is that I'm not the kind of person who generally succumbs to self-delusion. I don't believe non-sensical or ill-supported propositions, and am considered to be highly rational by most who know me. This is why, looking back at my drinking history, I am stupefied that I ever "fell for" the fallacious chains of reasoning that led me to drink all those years. In a way, I feel like I've been de-programmed after spending years in a mind-controlling cult.

In slightly over 1 month AF, I cannot begin to describe how much more productive I've been. All my former interests/hobbies/passions are being renewed with increased vigour. I feel very thankful for this, as among my own family I have observed much wasted talent as a direct result of heavy alcohol consumption.

In short, to all those who, like myself, are in the early stages of an AF life, tough out the early days because in no time the rewards will start piling up. If I had known I would feel this good in such a short time, I never would've prolonged the decision to quit for so long.

I'll (not) drink to that Jim Beam.
    Absolutely bang on.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Hi JB,

Congratulations on your over 31 AF days by now ! :goodjob:

Thanks so much for your thoughts on your first month of AF. Very inspirational !!

Miss O.
      Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Well done jim beam911,

it does take a while to see the light but when you do it shines so brightly you wonder why you have never seen it before.well done again

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. There is not one single aspect of my life that has not IMPROVED from being AF.

Comment

Good job, JB!! I can honestly say I don't know if I would be alive today if I had continued my AL path. I probably wouldn't have a husband, access to my children and grandchildren, or the lifestyle I enjoy. I would not have renewed old friendships, begun new ones, climbed hills with my grandsons, been able to visit with my elderly relatives (I couldn't when I was drinking for fear they'd notice.) There are NO downs to this up!
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Great post JB. I love the way you express this TRUTH!!

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful indeed. Distorting our thinking at every turn.

My experience is very similar to yours and I hope your post along with the affirmations to follow give hope to every person on here who thinks an AF life will be "empty."

It has been worth every bit of effort it has taken to get AL out of my picture and reclaim my life!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

What you said is very important.

Alcohol made me think something, that wasn't the truth.

I too felt that way. For nearly 30 years, I felt that I would never be able to be happy if I couldn't have my drink. I genuinely feared that if I didn't have my wine, or my booze or my "Friday night relaxation" that I would never be relaxed or peaceful.

The AL addiction made a false person inside of me. That person became more strident, and more needy than the real me. That person took over every day, and made me do things that wasn't what I was about, or wanted to be about.

When I became sober the false me lost it's power and went away. It didn't go easily. Sometimes it was like the wicked witch wailing and steaming. Sometimes it was like a cockroach scuttling to the corner when the light goes on. But through work and dedication, my life now it is like the light is always on, and the witch is gone and the floor is clean, the house is tidy. I find it hard to even imagine I felt so vehemently that alcohol was necessary to my life.

If I could wish something, it is the power to put this thought into a powder, and sprinkle it on everyone who struggles in the early days. Just the idea that AL is so insidious that it subverts the most primal urges, and makes it impossible to discern the false needs from real needs. And that people must go through the pain of withdrawal not because anyone wants to be mean, but that it's the only way to begin to recognize and separate one's true self from the false needy self that AL makes inside of perfectly normal people.

Comment

I'm not where you are yet JB, but I may use you as my source of inspiration. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Working...
                  X