Shout out to the Florida Peeps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldnt help but notice lately, that there seems to be alot of us from Florida.

Is it the usually hot, humid weather that drives us to drink? Could it be something in the water? Maybe its one too many times of hearing Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville that subliminally gets in our brain?

Clearwater here!
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Hey Overit! Saint Augustine here, I think you might have a point about sunny FLA! I found it is hard not to drink here because it is such a tourist place! Everyone seems to be on vacation, drinking it up! Wishing you a great Sunday!

Comment

That's too funny! It is a small world.

Yeah, I think it could be the Jimmy Buffet songs...on the weekends our favorite song used to be "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" as we were ordering drinks at the Beach Bar @ 11am!!!! And of course Margaritaville. It was funny to me then but now I feel like it's not funny "Ha Ha" but funny in a Sad way. So many wasted Weekends....
      Work like you don't need money,
      Love like you've never been hurt,
      And dance like no one's watching.
      ~author unknown

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
      ~Nancy Astor

Comment

hello from Jacksonville!!!!!!!!
        Definately the weather, boating, sunbathing, partying.........
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi All
          Sunny Sarasota. I have to say Fl is my home state now and has been a big part of my recovery. It has enabled me to enjoy the great outdoors all year. Yes even summer . Well it is tough getting in a singles match on the tennis court when its 95. I have been able to plug into a lot of people living a healthy lifestyle without al.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08
          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08

Comment

I have never associated my drinking with the lifestyle but I do live in sunny FL. (Just west of Palm Beach). Can't say I haven't enjoyed the parties and great outdoor living. My older brother lives in Key West and has been sober for over 20 years, so I can't use FL as an excuse.

Comment

Cindi,

I used to live on Clearwater Beach, so I am all too familiar with the "Beach Bar". Although I have not been a regular there in years, I used to have my butt firmly parked on one of the barstools several times a week! Oh, so many blackouts started there!

Sometimes, I know... Its only by the Grace of God, to still be able to live on the planet today.

As Floridians, we are blessed in so many ways with the beautiful scenery, and all that living here has to offer. Im really looking forward to enjoying the moments here without the perpetual buzz on.

Comment

I am not using FL as an excuse..........just coincedental........
                I love it here and would never return to the grey, miserable north

Comment

I hear ya Mama Bear. Im not using Florida as an excuse either. It boils down to me and my actions, and always will. It does for all of us, and always will.

Comment

Cindi;809782 wrote: That's too funny! It is a small world.

Yeah, I think it could be the Jimmy Buffet songs...on the weekends our favorite song used to be "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" as we were ordering drinks at the Beach Bar @ 11am!!!! And of course Margaritaville. It was funny to me then but now I feel like it's not funny "Ha Ha" but funny in a Sad way. So many wasted Weekends....
                    Cindi, it's funny you mention 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere', with Buffet. It was written and co-sung by Alan Jackson, who's mom is a good friend of mine. I was talking to her right after the song came out, and she told me she was unhappy with the context of the song. She had told her son it was a great, catchy song, but gave the wrong message to young people who listened to his music. There is something to be said for commercial success, but if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! I love that her values haven't changed, and she's not afraid to remind her superstar son!!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

tally

I currently live in Tallahassee, more So Ga, than Fl........................but hey neighbors, would be nice to all meet........................

I think Zenstyle, mostly on the baclofen threads................lives in Boca too.....................I may be moving back down that way, only thing keeping me here is my joy, the horses...........who knows, may meet someone, here to help me out and be able to afford them and stay here, not too bad for "podunk"

xoxo:h

MA:h
                      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

nope not the song but i do love singing it anyway .. hollywood fl here
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Cowgal....u sound so much stronger.....I am happy for you

Comment

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida!

Wow, I didnt know there was anyone here from the Jacksonville area... nice to see you Mama Bear!

My drinking issues have nothing to do with where I live. They started when I lived in Atlanta, followed me to North Carolina for 12 years and then on to Florida. Each place has reasons to drink I think... when I was in a colder winter climate it was a way to warm up and start drinking earlier, and with it getting darker so much earlier, that presented a different challenge. I think the whole "beach" atmosphere can be associated with drinking, but usually when I spend time at the beach, I try to run and get exercise, boogie board with my son and takes lots of water. Good to see some neighbors here!
                            If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

nice to see u too!

Comment

Working...
                              X