Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOR ALL WHO WISH FOR A BIG GAME VISIT TO SA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The signal is really patchy and weak, but I'll attempt to share this short visit with those of you who are interested!

We love the bush, both from roughing it in Okavango, Botswana and Zimbabwe with a bucket for a shower under the sky, to the relative comfort of our twice a year time share here(a week in Feb and a week in Nov, when all the baby animals are born), to some of the really luxurious tented camps that are so popular dotted all over Africa. My Hubby is a keen photographer, so we have been fortunate to go on photographic tours with some of the best game photographers, Nigel Dennis and Beverly and Peter Pickford in and around Sabi Sabi and Mala Mala.

But the bush is well....it is what it is! I will try to paint you a picture in words.

Nothing smells quite like the bush, it has a raw, rich smell which eminates from the large variety of grasses, bush and trees. The sounds of the bush are unique, during the heat of the day and sometimes at night, the air sings with cicadas and birdsong from hundreds of species of birds.

The night sounds are different too. The owls, from the deep hoot of the Giant Eagle Owl with their pink eyelids, to the brrrrp, brrrrp incessant call of the tiny Scops Owl, no bigger than your hand.

Some of the animals that dominate the sounds of the bush at night are the tiny Bush Babies squealing as they jump from tree to tree looking for food, their too big eyes glowing like lamps when they catch the torch light. Then there?s the mournful howl and crazy laugh of the hyaena. Interspersed is the very loud Umph - Umph of the territorial Hippo, the hands down animal winner of human trophies in Africa. And later, much later, if you are lucky, you hear the roar of the Lion pride.....?Whoooo?s the king of the jungle? Whooo?s the king of the jungle?........I am!... I am! ...I am! I am!? (Seriously, Google Lion sounds, and that?s what they say!)

When we arrived yesterday, we were immediately warned to be on the lookout for snakes and scorpions, which are prolific at this time of year. There were apparently 2 green mambas mating in a tree next to one of the chalets yesterday, having such a jolly good old time that they fell out of the tree onto the patio!

I don?t mind snakes, but I do have the deepest respect for them. We have many both venomous and non-venomous species. Of the venomous snakes, the Mambas and the Mocambican Spitting Cobra get the first 2 places in my book, for dangerous venom. Generally though, like everything in nature, unless bothered, they don?t bother you!

With the exception of the deadly malaria carrying mosquito, of course!

We are on the bank of the riverbed that borders the western side of the Kruger National Park, and about 12km from this camp and the Paul Kruger Gate, is Skukuza, the main camp, admin, research and vetinerary centre in the park. If you enjoy this sort of nature experience, treat yourself to a Google to South Africa National Parks - SANParks - Official Website - Accommodation, Activities, Prices, Reservations. Go to webcams, and they have 3 webcams, one each at Satara and Orpen in Kruger, very near to where we are now, and one at Nossob in Etosha National Park in Namibia. The cameras take a new photo about every 5 minutes, so you can see what game comes to drink at the waterholes. There?s also stacks more of interest on the site, including a free forum such as this one!

Our chalet has two air conditioned wings off the lounge/tv/kitchen area, with double en-suite bedrooms, leading out onto private patios. Stairs from the lounge take you upstairs to the rafters of the thatched roof, to a double loft bedroom with ceiling fan and mozzie nets. The lounge opens onto a circular patio with brick seating around the braai/barbeque , and a six seater outside diningroom table and chairs.

After unpacking and attaching the in?home water purification system we had brought from home for drinking water, (much cheaper and safer than bottled water!), my 4 year old grandaughter and I went swimming in the big blue salt water blue pool...such a relief in that heat!

Then the beautiful red African sunset arrived, heralding the magical darkness, with its fireflies, glow worms and a gazillion diamond stars in the black velvety sky, until the moon rose and the lions and hyaenas started their concert , to the rolling African drums being beaten for the guests attending the boma dinner at the hotel....but more about that later.

P.S. I wrote this last night but there was no signal to send it with...going out into the park today to hopefully take some pics for you...the only kind of hunting allowed in Kruger!

yoo hoo Mrs Sun,
    I am now officially jealous. Going to check out the webcams laters
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thank's Sunbird. Beautiful! Safe travel's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

OMG Sunny!! As I told Tip once, I'd never thought about visiting SA until I met you guys. Thanks for taking us vicariously on your trip with your beautiful descriptions. Look forward to more!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Sunbird,

Thanks for sharing! Have SA on my list of places to viisit on my big OE! Loved your description of the bush ........ so very different from the bush here!
          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

That was beautifully written Birdy.
            Thank goodness for the aircon otherwise you'd be melting in this heat.
            Happy holidays!!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi All
              Sun thanks for an arm chair vacation. What a great way to start my day getting such a feel for what it must be like. Thank you

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
              AF 5-16-08
              Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
              AF 5-16-08

Comment

sound's amazing, look forward to the next instalment, thank's Sun.

Comment

Thanks for the description, SunnyB. Brings back pictures from documentaries we've seen on TV. Just love the safari ones. Hope you have the best time ever. The place you're staying at sounds amazing!!:jumpwow:
                  For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                  AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Sunnyb!! Absolutely facinating!! I've wanted to visit SA since I was 17. Wonderful descriptions! I remember the youtube video of Kruger when the water buffalo reclaimed their baby from the lion pride who had struggled with an alligator for ownership. WOW!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&v3[/video]]YouTube - Battle at Kruger
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

awesome descriptions sunny!

my daughter's dad and family is from sa, and i have always wanted to take her there...she has an uncle in cape town who would surely take us in.
                      you have given me bush fever! better go have some bush tea and plan!!!

Comment

Oh SunnyB....that sounds absolutely magical...you lucky lucky lady!!
                        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

What a wonderful day! Clear blue skies and a warm sun in the African bushveld.

After brekkie, a quick swim then off to the Protea Caros hotel to plat mini-golf, or putt-putt, as we call it.

Cameras, binos and something to eat and drink, and we were off, across the bridge and into the park. An elephant bull, a really big tusker, was feeding in the river bed under the bridge, his huge ears slowly flapping to cool himself in the already warm day. We stopped a while to watch him, marvelling at his almost silent steps through the reeds, despite his huge, but very sensitive feet and enormous bulk.

After clearance with our wildcard at the gate(which is an annually paid card that allows one into any of our parks during that year), the first sighting, on top of the sign that says that the speed limit is 50km/hr on tarred roads in the Park, sat the beautiful lilac breasted roller. As my hubby got his camera and 300 2.8 lens ready, it upped and flew away, a flash of turquoise wings. Oh well, there are many, fortunately!
                          Impala, the most abundant antelope, are a little similar to the springbok, but without the white stripe down their sides. They are a bit bigger, and unlike the springbok, don?t occur in arid areas like Augrabies National Park in the Northern Cape. One usually sees Impala in a group, usually 1 dominant male and his harem of does. These pretty antelope have the largest, most liquid brown eyes and one sees them every few kilometres, grazing or lying down in the shade of an Acacia Thorn tree.

Halfway along the 12km to Skukuza, there is a left turn to the bird hide called Lake Panic, a gravel road that continues on to the Skukuza Golf course and plant Nursery. At the golf club, which is famous for its sightings of all manner of wild animals and beautiful birds, (as those of you who are golf enthusiasts have probably seen on TV at some stage), one can hire a golf cart for about 100 Rand....I heard on the radio this afternoon it is about 7,5 dollars and 11,8 pounds to the rand! A 4 year old soon tire of keeping quiet at a hide, so we normally leave my hubby to take his photos in peace after about 30 minutes. Incidently, the golf club is also the best, most peaceful place in the park to have a brekkie or lunch, overlooking the course.......shhh! Not many people know that!!!:H:H

This time at Lake panic, there were six hippo wallowing in the water under the shade from the trees on the central island. The three of us were all alone with our hippo, the hubby of course with camera poised waiting for one of them to yawn for THAT shot, when we heard steps coming along the long walkway into the hide. After a while, my curiosity got the better of me, and I went to investigate, Only to find the couple standing at the entrance to the hide with their binos trained on, of all things, a Peregrine Falcon, sitting on top of the split pole at the entrance to the hide! Mad scramble for the right lens, a smaller one.....he needn?t have worried...it sat and posed for him for about half an hour! The birds to be seen at that particular hide are magnificent, especially the brightly coloured tiny Pygmy King Fisher and the much, much larger Pied Kingfisher. My granddaughter and I decided to give granddad a break, and headed off to Skukuza for a cold drink.

On the way back to the hide to pick up my hubby, we stopped to watch a pitch black Forktailed Drongo harassing a much larger Yellow Billed Hornbill. They do that, aggro little birds, that they are!

There is much more to tell, but I need to cook supper, and anyway, I do want to leave something to tell you tomorrow. Just in closing for the day, we were not big time-share fans, but the 2 weeks together cost us a mere 15 thousand Rand, with the levy for both weeks at 7 thousand Rand all told per annum-3 for the one week and 4 for the other November week...soooo worth it!

To continue.....

Comment

WOW!!! greenie says, running to get her bird book!!
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Greenie...you should come over and join us...you would love it here!

Comment

Working...
                              X