Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOR ALL WHO WISH FOR A BIG GAME VISIT TO SA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW...... thats all
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

sunbird;811110 wrote: Greenie...you should come over and join us...you would love it here!
      Don't tempt me!!!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Oh SB...this sounds so amazingly beautiful!!
        Definitely want to see/smell/taste/hear/feel this!!

Comment

This morning we were woken by a cacophony of bird calls, with the francolin?s strident screech presiding over and above the rest, even outdoing the repetitive Woodland Kingfisher. This is the whitest breasted of the Kingfishers, with incredibly aqua blue wings. And like the Brown and Grey Hooded Kingfishers, it too does not eat fish, but insects!
          My Hubby had a meeting with some of our business associates at the Skukuza Golf Club, so my granddaughter and I stayed behind to swim and game watch from the wonderful viewing deck over the river. The viewing deck is built on gum pole stilts, under a canopy of very old Leadwood and Jackalberry trees. They have erected 4 smaller lookout private viewing turrets above the main deck, each with built in padded seating around the perimeter of each turret....ideal for private little parties of about 10 people. We had lunch in one of these, while watching a herd of buffalo in the river bed below us, and keeping a wary eye on the monkeys, who are all too quick at grabbing your food when you?re not watching!
          After a little siesta, we decided to go for a hike around the camp with our bird book and binos, and soon found the perimeter fence, following the hiking trail. A shy bushbuck and her baby peeked out at us from the bush as we passed, and then, as we rounded a corner, we came across a small herd of wildebeest.....Mmmm, I thought, actually, maybe this is NOT such a great idea with a 4 year old, my only grandchild at that......I mean, if the game is here, then what is to stop us tripping over the resident leopard, or worse, the hyaena? So we retraced out steps to the chalet, and got the car key to go on our own little game drive around the camp.
          We had a wonderful time!! The game was abundant....no wonder there are predators here! We saw Zebra, Kudu(that?s a large brown antelope with thin white stripes on the sides and a slight hump with a tuft of hair on its back.....the male has wonderful long curly horns)Impala, Bushbuck, Waterbuck and Warthog.
          My hubby had returned by the time we got home, so we showered and changed to go to the boma dinner.
          The dinner in the boma is an experience in itself. They have African dance and drumming to entertain the guests and the food is excellent, offering an array of dishes from fresh fish, shellfish, curries, roast meats, venison stew(tonight it was wildebeest) and barbeque fare...all with lots of salads and vegetables. And then there are the puddings!! Oh well, back to my strict diet tomorrow!
          As we walked home, our granddaughter lighting the way with her torch, the Hyaena treated us to his plaintive cries, while Orion and the Southern Cross looked down on us all from the heavens. It will be full moon on Sunday, but by then we will be back in Johannesburg, where the electric lights prevent one seeing all but the brightest stars in the sky.

Comment

Ah Birdie! I haven't been into the bush for yonks and having pretty much grown up in those types of environs, your writings have brought on pangs of regret for not following a profession into the bush.

Lovely words dear lady!
            'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

Sunnyb, your writing is delicious!! My bird book is for north america. Imanine that! :H But I wrote down the birds and googled them and had a big WOW! with each one!! What a treat that you get to go on these trips w/ a photo enthusiast. My brother is like that - waiting for "that" shot, and with good results. Now I'm off to follow your links.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
              X