diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diabetes

im diabetic (type 1 insulin treated). i was fairly healthy when diagnosed about 15 years. drinking wasnt such a big issue then. as i am here things obviously went pear shaped somewhere along the line. just wondered if there any diabetics on here and how they got on with alcohol. im new here and on day 4 af trying to sort myself out.im sure my diabetes control will get better without alcohol messing things up. this site is a great place to be. lifesaver.
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

diabetes

Me too ! ....Type 2....on meds and watching my diet . It's hell when your a diabetic.....booze has so much sugar ! Keep on keeping on ! Watch your diet and cut down on your sugar.....IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

diabetes

Spuddleduck,

While I am not diabetic myself, I have seen first-hand what happens when someone with diabetes abuses alcohol. I'm not saying this to alarm you, but if I were you I would be extra-vigilant in attempting to abstain. As you are well-aware, being afflicted with Type I Diabetes already carries health risks; why add alcohol into the mix?

My grandfather was actually a Type II Diabetic, but because of his stubborn drinking, his disease progressed into full-blown insulin dependence. He damaged his pancreas, liver and kidneys, and died a premature death from chronic kidney failure. His own doctor actually refused to treat him at one point due to his refusal to quit drinking. In contrast, his older brother, also a heavy drinker who developed diabetes, quit drinking upon diagnosis and lived to the age of 90. Alcohol and diabetes don't mix.

Comment

diabetes

Hey, spuddleduck! I did not know you were a diabetic! I have been an insulin dependent diabetic all of my life! I now where an insulin pump. My digestive system quit working and I had to have a stomach pacer implanted into my stomach. I can not feel my hands or feet. I never took care of myself and have drank for 25 years and it has done major damage to me. Even though alcohol has a ton of carbs, it actually bottoms you out. If I drink and not eat, my sugar will be 20 the next morning and it takes my husband hours to get me back. I'm shocked that I am still alive at 49! I have got to get off alcohol, but it is so hard! I posted on ASAP this morning. Please read it. You are on day 4, that is great! Let's stay in touch and try to help one another!
        I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
        but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

diabetes

sick of being sick;811698 wrote: Hey, spuddleduck! I did not know you were a diabetic! I have been an insulin dependent diabetic all of my life! I now where an insulin pump. My digestive system quit working and I had to have a stomach pacer implanted into my stomach. I can not feel my hands or feet. I never took care of myself and have drank for 25 years and it has done major damage to me. Even though alcohol has a ton of carbs, it actually bottoms you out. If I drink and not eat, my sugar will be 20 the next morning and it takes my husband hours to get me back. I'm shocked that I am still alive at 49! I have got to get off alcohol, but it is so hard! I posted on ASAP this morning. Please read it. You are on day 4, that is great! Let's stay in touch and try to help one another!
          great to have a fellow diabetic here.. dont like the sound of your nerve damage.crazy isnt it. we know we are more at risk than others yet still keep at it. thats the power of alcohol. i have a lovely patient diabetic doctor. i had a mad sad bad moment last year which ended up with me in hospital after overdosing on insulin (drunk of course, would never do that sober) she happened to be the doctor on the rounds and has since been begging me to address my alcohol issues. i just came across this site last week and find it so helpful.like you my sugar readings will go crazy after drinking and i forget to take my insulin and probably dont notice when i hypo. its true that we can only help ourselves but its good to know there are people out there (on here) for advice and support. keep in touch and be strong with me x
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

diabetes

Hey spuddleduck,
            I don't have diabetes but I am a nurse.. as AL is full of sugar, it would wreak havoc on your body.. as you rely on insulin injections (being Type 1, your body won't make any insulin at all) - if you drink too much, you will be prone to getting extreme lows of sugar, and it would be very hard for your body to maintain it's 'sugar harmony'; as the insulin you are prescribed will be for your body without AL. if you drink AL, the insulin will not be enough, but I would not recommend altering the dosage on your own, as you need to follow your doctor's instructions.... it could be very dangerous; so I would highly recommend you being vigilante with the steering clear of AL .. as diabetics should not have any sugary foods or drinks; AL should be included in that as its so full of sugar.. i hope this helps
            K xx
            "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Working...
            X