First AA Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First AA Meeting

I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight @ 5:30-I'm a little nervous-not sure what to expect but I've heard lots of good things about it. I'm looking forward to getting to know and possibly form friendships with people that are going through or already have been through this struggle. I have very few friends who do not drink and many who obviously have drinking problems but would NEVER admit it-good jobs, nice house,nice clothes-no problem there! Thats why I got a phone call @ 3:00am last night from one of them and I couldn't even understand what she was saying!

Anyways..wish me luck!

Day 19 AF-Yay!
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching.
    ~author unknown

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
    ~Nancy Astor

First AA Meeting

Goodluck cindi, i am sure you will enjoy it,i have been to many an AA meeting,have met really good friends there,i would say that even though the goals are the same not all meetings are the same and it might take you a little bit to find the right one that suits you,,imo its good to be with alcohol free people which have the same goals as yourself,,wishing you the best.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

First AA Meeting

Good luck Cindi.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi - All the best with the meeting, everyone is very supportive and you will hear similar stories that you have seen here....
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi - I started going about a month ago and I'm glad I did. Like here, talking to people with the same struggles, goals, but also successes is very helpful. It's nice to meet in person people that could be ones you'd meet at MWO - just in 3-D! Good luck! As Mario says, if the first meeting doesn't click, try different groups - they are all a little different. I'm fortunate to have found a wonderful group with many long term sober members 5 minutes away. Let us know how it goes. :h
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

First AA Meeting

Good luck, Cindi

And bloody well done on the AF days!!!
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindy, congrats on 19 days AF! :yougo: I too have found it really helpful to have the support of AA in my "3D" life. I don't always agree with everything, but that's life too. (I don't always agree with everything around here either!!) I just try to keep an open mind and listen for that which is helpful to my sobriety. I've made several new friends over the last year that I wouldn't trade for anything! I agree with Mario that different groups tend to have different "personalities" so don't be afraid to venture out and find a group that is the best fit for you.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

First AA Meeting

I personally like AA. Good luck
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi,

Congratulations on taking BIG steps and going to your first A.A. meeting. There is really nothing to be afraid of there, just some people, like you, trying to stay sober. Like someone else said, there are many different types of meetings, womens only, Co-ed, all different times. If you dont particularly care for this certain meeting, you may really connect with the next.

About two years ago I went to an AA meeting with a friend. It was an all womens meeting, and I was amazed as I saw all the women filling up a BIG room. Wow, all different types of women, some very well dressed, and others not so well dressed. Pretty women, ugly women, all different types of women, but when I heard many of them talk, I could relate to so much of what they said.

I hope you find a good meeting that you connect with! Thats great you are taking charge girl, and doing it! Your doing great!

Overit
                  I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi, let us know how you made out at the meeting. I was one who NEVER was going to AA. Once I started, I got going everyday of the week. Even attending 2 on weekends to keep me on track. Actually looked forward to meetings. That was last April and now I continue to go 4-5 times a week. It is helpful to maintain the goal of being alcohol free.
                    Congratulations you are off to a great start.

Winefree

Comment

First AA Meeting

[QUOTE=Winefree;813591]Cindi, let us know how you made out at the meeting.

The meeting was good it was an OD (open discussion). I was really nervous at first-shaking not sure I would have the courage to walk in. I am very shy by nature. That is probaly why I loved alcohol. It was my courage serum. I have an old friend that I knew went to AA meetings so I called him and he has been to that particular metting before-they meet every day @ 5:30. It's called "The REAL Happy Hour" LOL. He met me there for support and that helped. I could relate to a lot of what the people were sharing and that felt good. You could tell just by looking at some that they have been through hell and back. I'm interested in what I can learn from all of them as I do here. A very nice lady came up to me at the end gave me a list of members phone #'s, a book of where local meetings are ( I have it on the internet though), and some pamphlets. It was a start and I got my white chip! 10 more days and I'll have the 30 day chip!!! YAY!. I will keep going and will probaly try other meetings too. There are so many. One drawback is the amount of smoke (I'm a non-smoker) but if I could tolerate hours and hours of smoke while I was sitting in Bars than I can tolerate 1 hour of it while I'm doing something good for my heart and my soul.
                      Work like you don't need money,
                      Love like you've never been hurt,
                      And dance like no one's watching.
                      ~author unknown

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
                      ~Nancy Astor

Comment

First AA Meeting

Good for you Cindi - the first one is the hardest! I think it's a good idea to shop around until you find a meeting that feels like a good fit.

It sounds funny to me that people are allowed to smoke (we're not allowed to smoke in public places here, and I assume that covers AA meetings because I've never been to one where anyone has smoked). The meeting that I go to mostly is in a basement room in a church - fairly small, fairly low ceiling and it would be really unpleasant in there if people were smoking.
                        sigpic
                        AF since December 22nd 2008
                        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi - It may be a city ordinance here where smoking is not allowed inside anywhere, but I do now in the meeting list booklet they do have (NS) - non smoking listed by meetings that are. Perhaps there are some in your area. There might be some that meet in churches for example, that probably don't allow smoking in their meeting rooms. And true, that never kept me out of bars and I've never smoked!

I am finding AA to be a very comfortable place, and even if I don't feel like going occasionally, I'm always glad I did. One more good solid tool in the toolbox.... :h
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

First AA Meeting

Cindi,

I personally had wonderful experiences with my A.A. group when I lived in another state and attended regularly. If you happen to not mesh with those particular people remember that there is more than one group and you will find the one that works for you!!

I personally loved the face to face contact and friendships that I made which is difficult to do here in cyberland.

Best wishes to you!
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

First AA Meeting

Hi Cindi! So nice to hear that you had a good experience with the exception of the smoke. And what a good attitude about it! Florida must be one of the last bastions of anywhere in the US where one can still smoke inside some public places. I'm thinking Dance is probably right though - I bet there are non-smoking meetings and/or meetings that are in non-smoking places if it's an issue for you. I can relate to your description of how you felt walking in to your first meeting! I was shaking in my shoes as well. I thought I would be so "out of my element" when in reality, I couldn't have been more "in" my element.

I was just thinking today that I need to get off my butt and check out some meetings in other places than the ones I regularly attend. Just for a change of pace. So all the suggestions here in your thread to check out lots of different meetings is good for me too!

Have a great day,

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X