Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinical Trial - UK

Hi Everyone

I feel that after deciding a week ago to make an extra huge effort to address my drinking (yet again ) - even having finally got help by visiting a pychotherapist - 'someone up there' is on my side.

I was going into London last Tuesday and was reading a newspaper on the train and saw an advert from a Dutch company called Tactus looking for people to participate in clinical trials in the UK to reduce or quit drinking. Apparently, their course is already very successful in Holland and it is just starting up in the UK

I'm told that this is a 16 week online course with a personal councellor and usually costs over ?2K (its all anonymous - participants give feedback on how and if it helps but they never use your name or details). Anyway, long and short of it is I emailed and asked to take part and got confirmation yesterday that I have a place. I've just signed up this morning - had to answer lots of questions online and apparently a councellor will get in touch with my (via the website) in a couple of days.

I'm really excited! I'm not sure if they still have places available or if anyone else wants to apply. The email address is: info@lookatyourdrinking.com and the advert was in the London Metro on Tuesday 23rd Feb. The lookatyourdrinking.com website looks a bit bare - but I assume that this is because it is brand new.

I intend to carry on hanging around here - you are all so inspirational and the help I get from you all, just by reading and empathising with you all is incredible (we're all here in the same boat!) - but the opportunity to get four months of one-to-one help fills me with optimism for the future and is something that I could never have afforded otherwise. Wish me luck!!!
    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Clinical Trial - UK

Hi Snapdragon,

I hope it goes really well for you. Just wanted to say (in case you don't know and in case things don't work out) that you can get free counselling for alcohol problems through the NHS or Turning Point Turning Point - The UK's leading social care organisation

I went to Turning Point and was offered six months of counselling (ended up only doing three months coz I felt we came to a natural end by then but I have the option of going back any time if I want a "top up").

As I say, I hope yours works out, just letting you know some other options. Good luck!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Clinical Trial - UK

Snap
      I really hope that you find this beneficial and thatall those participating do as well. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Working...
      X