ideas on addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ideas on addiction

I recieved the following email today which I though some of you might find interesting:-

In 1981, a scientist named Bruce Alexander began a bizarre and wonderful experiment to test the causes of addiction in society. While most scientists at the time felt that addiction was a primarily bio-chemical event, Alexander was puzzled by a seeming anomaly in the evidence - the fact that of the thousands of soldier who regularly used heroin during the Vietnam war, over 90% of them quit 'cold turkey' on returning to the West with minimal withdrawal symptoms or cravings.

Alexander believed this pointed to an environmental cause to addiction, and to test his theory he built a sort of a Shangri-la for lab rats which he and his colleagues lovingly dubbed 'Rat Park'.

Rat Park had wide open spaces, readily available food and drink, and warm comfortable housing. Despite numerous attempts, Alexander and his colleagues were unable to get the residents of Rat Park to drink morphine-laced sugar water. Meanwhile, the rest of the lab rats, still stuck in their tiny laboratory cages, drank the drugged water in droves.

A subsequent experiment forced both the caged rats and the Rat Park rats to drink nothing but morphine-water over a period of 57 days. At the end of that time, they were given a choice - they could continue to drink the drug-laden sugar water or switch over to regular water. The caged rats stayed 'addicted'; the Rat Park rats immediately switched over to the regular water, despite going through minor withdrawal symptoms from the morphine over a period of several days.

What conclusions can we draw from these experiments?

Well, one thing which seems inarguable is that environment plays a far more significant factor in addiction than most 'addiction as disease' models would have us believe. This is not to say that there isn't an 'alcoholic gene' or an 'addictive personality', although neither theory has actually been proven. It's just to say that it may be worth further exploring the impact we can make on our society by actively improving the living and working conditions of the people who live in it.

Another, even more exciting conclusion comes from the work of Dr. Ronald Ruden, whose research into the source of cravings, be they for food, sex, alcohol, or drugs of any sort indicates that your internal environment (what he calls 'the landscape of your brain') may be as significant a factor as your external environment.

According to Ruden, a key factor in creating an internal environment conducive to addictive behavior is the presence of 'inescapable stress' - an ongoing sense that nothing can be done to reduce the amount of stress you are experiencing in your life. That seemingly inescapable stress may take the form of homelessness, poverty, a bad marriage or a chronic illness. It can even be caused by guilt or shame - the regret for something which happened in the past that 'can never be undone'.

Now, it is important to note that in Ruden's model, sobriety is not biologically different from addiction. With addiction, the response to a craving is to do more of the addictive behavior; with sobriety, the response to a craving is to either substitute a healthier addiction (i.e. go to a meeting, go for a run, meditate, pray, etc.) or in the worst case, to 'tough it out'. In both cases, you are continually having to deal with cravings.

But that does not mean that the best we can hope for is to replace our unhealthy addictions with healthy ones. If in conjunction with any changes we might make in our physical environment we also developed our ability to respond to stress so it no longer seemed inescapable, we could literally change the landscape of our brain to one where overeating, excessive drinking or drug taking would be as unappealing to us as the morphine-laced sugar water was to the denizens of Rat Park.

And this, to me, is the real moral of the story - that regardless of whatever changes we might struggle to make in the world around us to put an end to hunger, poverty and overcrowding, there are always choices available to us in this and every moment that will allow us to create an internal environment of joy, of happiness, and of the kind of well-being that positively impacts not only our own lives but the lives of every person on the planet.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

ideas on addiction

Thanks chillgirl

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

ideas on addiction

Thank you chill,

This was good to read as I continue to work on my 'internal environment' which was damaged by too many years of stress. Keeping the joy & happiness within is work - but well worth the effort
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

ideas on addiction

Coming from the Vietnam War era I was aware of this heroin usage anomaly. I never served but was always extremely interested in the War and was an avid reader and as many likely remember the daily news coverage with embedded reporters gave us a glimpse into the unimaginable stress the soldiers faced. Drug usage back then was so socially acceptable. You got pain blot it out. You want to party just do it. It just makes me wonder how stress affects people differently. Age at the time of the stress, genetic makeup, duration and severity of the stress to mention a few things on how it all works. One thing for sure is that chronic stress changes your brain. Different forms of anxiety are manifested by chronic stress. I know that in my life when I was a kid the stress endured by having terminally ill siblings over a course of years gave me some kind of anxiety problem and that alcohol helped blunt it but I think in the long run it added to the problem. That's in my opinion one of the deceptive powers of alcohol. It gave me relief for a short period of time but ultimately the anxiety returns all the while the alcohol is harming your brain. The body and mind are such miraculous creations and all alcohol abuse does is attempt to destroy them. Protect your mind and body ~~ live AF.

Comment

ideas on addiction

Hypernova - Your post highlights what most of us here have come to realize "that alcohol starts off relieving our anxieties, only to evenually cause them". When we are born we are free from anxieties and addictions and therefore must conclude that our lives evolve in such ways to then cause these afflictions. I cannot help but wonder if so many drummed in conditionings are not more the cause in these continuing rather than us letting go of them and getting on with our lives.

We are told how difficult it is to give up smoking/drinking/drugs etc as well as buying into stress and anxiety being controlled by medication. In our belief of these mind viruses do we not fuel our dependancies? Could it be that a different way of thinking could rid us of all these woes? Perhaps like the returning Vietnam soldiers we can leave our habits behind us as we move forward in our lives and our thinking... There is much research going on in this field and I am a huge fan of Bruce Lipton who has carried out work into "The Biology of Belief".
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

ideas on addiction

____I aggre with you Chillgirl. There are many money making machines behind all of these "illnesses". Big pharma is elated we all have such problems with no other way out but medication. Doctors are all too happy prescribing remedies and if they don't work don't worry I have another pill or maybe we should adjust your medication.
            I read a book called the 'Diseasing of America' essentially throwing out the theory that addiction is a disease and thus needs to be treated as such. Stanton Peele is the author(published 1989) and his beliefs are that there is a difference between a real disease and addiction as a disease. It is a good read and turns the conventional model of addiction as a disease on it's head. ~~~But then again when it comes to the brain I believe that it is hard wired and also susceptible to damage and injury. When we are young and have genetic predisposition to something like anxiety it doesn't mean that we will develop anxieties. But if we have a predisposition and are and are exposed to certain stimuli then we may or probably will develop an anxiety disorder. The brain is so complex but with the advent of the PET scan much has been learned about its functioning. I don't want to drag on but I know there is much to be learned. Such as the aging brain and something called neuroplasticity. If you like to read Goggle neuroplasticity and see how knowledge of the brain is changing and old concepts are being replaced. sorry for the length of this but there is so much to understand and take in and I love to learn new things that contradict and prove conventional wisdom wrong. take care and I will check out "The Biology of Belief"

Comment

ideas on addiction

Great stuff Chilli,
              I agree. Our external environment is a huge factor in our recovery, as is our internal one.
              If i were to be all of a sudden stranded on a desert island, in the middle of my heavy drinking day's, with nothing but the sun, surf, fishing, and friendly local's not partaking in any mind altering substances, after only a couple of day's, i wouldn't be worrying about grog, where as in a city environment, or around drinker's, it's a longer, and more difficult process to give it up. Getting our mindset right, in a way that's best for us, is essential.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

ideas on addiction

Chill Girl,

Definately worth reading.

It's working for me on a lower level. I quit work on 16th Jan - it just got too political. Whilst I am not AF yet, I am drinking a lot less because I am not in the stress, open a bottle, drink routine. My days are much calmer, much more organised so I just don't feel the need to dive for a bottle at 6.00 pm.

(Still working on AF weekends though.)

How many people here smoke but have places where they don't want / need a cigarette because it's not the right "place."

Spam

Comment

Working...
                X