non al beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non al beer

Right I havent had a drink since last thursday but yesterday I went to the pub with my mate and had non alcoholic beer. Hope this isnt cheating myself.
    Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

non al beer

You'll know if you've been cheating yourself Flip by your intentions for having had non-alcoholic beer. What does your gut instinct tell you as to the reasons? Listen to that voice and not the one of rationalization and you'll give yourself an honest answer.

I know when I've drunk non-alcoholic beer in the past in the company of friends it was a way of trying to prove something to other people. It also gave me the convincing I needed that I was safe to drink in pubs etc. I only drank in pubs to get 'drunk'. So obviously that didn't last long before I convinced myself I was OK to drink low alcohol beer.......then high percentage beer........then cider........then spirits......then......

Just be aware of the reasons for drinking this stuff and that you're not fooling or deluding yourself into thinking the way I did. If you're an alcoholic like me you will almost definitely try to do it. Maybe not right now, but sometime in the future!

Love and Light
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

non al beer

It seems that, periodicly the topic of non-Al beer and wine comes up. Should we or shouldn't we switch from drinking AL to AF to AF with non-Al substitutes. I too deliberated this idea early on in sobriety. After much sole searching, I decided to just stick with not toying with the non-Al substitues. As often happens, Hippie described why I made this choice perfectly! I believed then as I do today that drinking the substitues would lead me to want the real thing.....to begin craving the "Buzz" that was supposed to follow!

I honestly believe that if we have any chance of living happily alcoholl free, we must, at some point, stop thinking about alcohol all the time. Take thoughts of alcohol out of our hour to hour and day to day focus. I find that this has worked very well for me!

Best Wishes!
      Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

non al beer

Flip if it's a substitute for an alcoholic beer, then it tends to undermine that clear streak that you have had.even the smell of it can cause triggers,if you dont drink you dont drink,there are lots of other drinks you can have other wise You run the risk of starting down a slippery slope.odaat.:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

non al beer

I can understand what everyone is saying but I was quite pleased that was able to be able to go in there and drink something that wasnt going to get me rat arsed. The only problem with this stuff to is that its so sodding expensive for the quantity you get.
          Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

non al beer

I've known people who gave up drinking altogether who did drink NA beer in bars when they went, just to have a bottle in hand & not constantly have to be explaining 'why they weren't drinking'. At a glance to people that are acquaintances in a dark bar, this was easier for them since it looked like a regular beer when in hand. One of my friends hasn't had a drink of any kind in 20 years & drinks O'Douls when out. He only has a couple to feel festive and I know for a fact that he'll never go back to drinking. Everyone is different. Whatever keeps you away from the alcohol.

Comment

non al beer

Hi Flip Top,

I don't see a problem if it doesn't trigger a craving. We're all different. I used to drink AF beer when I first went AF and it didn't make me want the real thing, and I found it a good substitute if I was with people who were drinking. I haven't had any for months and months now, it just dwindled away naturally.
              Whatever works for you.
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Working...
              X