Who`s to blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who`s to blame?

Can you PM me too that FG? I need a helpful reminder.. I got a DUI 3 years ago.. thats one of the reasons i want to quit (one of many) - I may go to jail if ever caught again with DUI.. thanks
    "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Who`s to blame?

No problem - I'll send the whole story to you & to AD both. I have a few things to do & I'll send it along after that.

Comment

Who`s to blame?

High fives all around to the posters of this great thread!! It's kind of the way this country used to be when family would sit around the kitchen table and discuss real issues. This forum suits me fine for the interchange of ideas. But I still think face to face debating of the topics that are important to all of us is essential and way overlooked in the U.S.~~ On the topic of helping people I have an allegory.~~ Two pieces of land that are separated by water. You are standing on one shore and want to get to the other. Now picture where you are as standing on the shore of alcohol abuse (or whatever your problem might be) and you want to get to sobriety which is the other shore. There is a ferry to take you there. This ferry could be any sort of assistance (helping hand) to get you there. But it is just that. A means of transporting you from where you are to where you want to be. People are happy to be ferried to a better place. They like the free ride, they get comfortable and are taken care of on their voyage. Before they know it they are becoming complacent. They become so happy on the journey that they change the ferry into a houseboat and they just end up living there never reaching their goal. They have arrived at dependence. I think lethargy and lack of impetus as sad states of human existence. We should all be vigilant against complacency which leads to dependence and an ultimately unsustainable society. ~~~ Well that's my 2 cents~~ Are we doomed?

Comment

Who`s to blame?

Yes! Mandatory jail time!

How much does THAT cost the taxpayers?

LOL!

"They" educate you on everything else in this place, but when it comes to alcohol and its addictivity, for some reason the preacher leaves the church. He won't even give the benediction if it means informing the congregation that alcohol is a DRUG!

HA!

Comment

Who`s to blame?

Shikakai and all,

Well said. I have been thinking about this thread for a few hours.

I have NEVER EVER touched illegal drugs. I truly believe that I would be the person who would have one puff/inhale/snort/injection and die straight away.

Why didn't / doesn't anyone warn about AL? I have been watching adverts this evening about tobacco being a killer but no-one says anything about our old mate.

My 10 year old son is now having "health" lessons at school where they talk about all sorts - never being able to burn off McDonalds; drugs...he tells me lots. I am going to request a couple of lessons, at least, on AL.

Comment

Who`s to blame?

Thank you, Spam

"Just say no" should apply to ALL drugs, including alchi, which is the worst drug of all.

Again, it's all about the dollar, unfortunately.

If we had only known... I too have a proclivity for addiction. I wouldn't have lasted a day on crack.

Comment

Who`s to blame?

Anotherday;817384 wrote: I like what you say here. Blaming and shaming doesn't work.

One thing I do take issue with is when people blame bad behavior on their "disease." While I understand that people behave in ways they would not drunk vs sober, to me it's always seemed like sort of a cop-out to do this. I try to realize that I take the drink and I make the choice to drink. It's more empowering for me that way. If I choose to drink, I can also choose not to drink.

At any rate, what you've said above makes a lot of sense.
                Hi Anotherday.... I actually despise the word "disease," but the fact does remain that it is a neuro-biological issue. The fact that our brains have been altered by continued abuse of substances does not absolve us from the responsibility to CHOOSE to seek help in treatment.

The research is showing that the most effective treatment for addiction is anti-craving medication combined with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

You may be interested in reading this article (long but well worth the read):

JAMA -- Combined Pharmacotherapies and Behavioral Interventions for Alcohol Dependence: The COMBINE Study: A Randomized Controlled Trial, May 3, 2006, Anton et al. 295 (17): 2003
                The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

Working...
                X