I took my first Antabuse today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to meet you and good luck from me too. I take antabuse and while I take it, it works. When I stop taking it - somehow I convince myself I can cope without it - I eventually start drinking again.

But if you keep taking it, it really is a cure. The difficult bit for me is wanting to be cured. Well, of course I want to be cured, but part of me would rather keep drinking than be cured and unable to drink

Keep posting. Being sober isn't always easy, if you've been used to drinking daily

D2Mx

Comment

Ok so this is day 5 on Antabuse and I think this is going pretty well.

One reason that I drink is because when I lay in bed to sleep, bad thoughts sometimes start spinning around in my head, and when I am drunk I fall asleep instantly so there is no time to think.

But I have actually had less bad thoughts, and generally have slept much better, although sometimes less because of a longer sleeping in period.

Well its Friday evening here in Europe now, and for the last 5-6 years I would have been on my 12th beer or so. Being sober feels very weird. I'm going to bed now, and to Work tomorrow for a few hours. First time ever not hung over at work on a Saturday so I think that will be a huge improvement

I am confident that I will continue on the Antabuse for a while. 5 days off is a huge thing for me anyway, and it keeps getting better day by day

Comment

Yeahhh Scan! Im proud of ya!!

Your in your early sobriety, so its to be expected things might seem "weird". They will return to a normal balance in time.

Since you wont be hungover tomorrow, just think how nice it will be to have a clear head, and all the things you can acomplish. Perhaps things you have not done in a while because of drinking. The possibilites are endless!

Good going Scan!

Overit
        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Scandinavian;818675 wrote: Thanks I just hope I continue taking it... Any tips?
          Hi Scandinavian,
          I was on it for about 10 months.
          I set an 'Antabuse Alarm' on my phone to go off at the same time every day when I knew I'd be in the house and made a point of stopping whatever I was doing and just taking my tablet, thereby ensuring that I couldn't drink. I really didn't have much in the way of cravings. There was as much chance of me having a drink on any given day as there was of me having a baby and I just slipped into that mindset and accepted it. I was aware that I could cheat and stop taking them for a week or so if I chose and then get plastered, but my little routine of making myself respond to my alarm became part of my daily routine and pretty soon I looked forward to it; I looked forward to just taking the tablet and staying clean.
          It may sound silly but I'll use whatever little mind tricks I can to beat this. Whatever works.
          An alcoholic brain uses every little trick and so must we.

Comment

Working...
          X