Drink aware adverts and website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this website which has been set up by the Irish government was worth a look. The TV ads are particularly aimed at the younger age group I feel. Which are exactly who should be targeted, hopefully before it gets to serious levels of abuse. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

drinkaware.ie | rethinking our drinking
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

KT, I totally believe in 'preaching' the problems to young people. My son's ex-wife didn't want her children exposed to these programs, in her skewed way of protecting them. But the ugliness of what has gone on in their marriage and divorce prove the girls were exposed in real life, and maybe could have understood and coped better if they knew the yweren't alone. As it is, I'm stuggling with the oldest (16 1/2) who ex-DIL has let drop out of school. She's listening to me, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get her a diploma, even if it mean she lives with me. I've told ALL my children and grandchildren all along about the dangers, but AL was not as stressed as drugs, just because of their age. My mistake. From here out, I''m on the warpath with them, and since they listen to me now, I'm going to use my leverage with them. Everyone who has children in their lives NEEDS to instill in them the respect of mind-altering agents, be it drugs or drink. They have to know what the possibilities are before they involve themselves. After they're 'hooked', we begin rehab, so I'm SO glad you brought this up for the ones who haven't experiemented yet.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I think it's brilliant -- so well done too!

I was directed to the UK drinkaware website a couple of years ago as it had a really useful tool called a 'unit calculator' that helps you measure exactly how much you are drinking. For eg. A certain wine has a higher AL content than another wine therefore if you drink 250ml the BAC of each is different.
      I don't see this on the Irish version but I've only had a brief squiz
      Here is a link to the UK version I'm talking about
      Unit calculator | Calculate alcohol units & calories | Drinkaware
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I think personally that it is so important that efforts are being made to change the perception that it is all just great, harmless fun, that throwing up in the street and falling around is all part of growing up and being a young adult in Ireland today. It appears drinking spirits before going out and then hammering shots back is all part and parcel of a sat night out for many in their 20s. I do ponder the question, would some of us would be where we are today in relation to AL, had this kind of user friendly information been around.
        Dee I had another look and there is an excellent unit counter where you select the exact drink brand/type/amount.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
        X