To those who have quit smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a plan that today will be my last day smoking. I will have five days with nothing on my calendar to go through the horrible withdrawals cold turkey. I am sick of being a smoker and the guilt and the money thrown down the drain. This will also reinforce being AF as there is no way I can drink and not smoke. I've got five days worth of sleeping pills as I know how hard it is to sleep when going through nicotine withdrawal, so this should help.

Any words of wisdom? I am anticipating it being hell. I've quit cold turkey before and it was hell. Four days of hell. I have to do this. How did you do it? Thanks for any thoughts.

The first 3 months without Nic were worse for me than the first 3 months without AL. Long term, AL is more challenging. But that's just me - it's a bit different for everyone.

I participated in www.quitnet.com when I first quit smoking. Several others here at MWO used that support site as well.

For me, the Nic cravings subsided greatly at around 100 days. (up to that point I was a raging b!tch non-stop!) Now I rarely have even a thought of smoking - it helps that there is virtually no smoking indoors anywhere any more in my town.

Like giving up AL, it was hard but totally worth it.

Go for it!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

G'day AD,
      Yep, been there, and about 15 yrs smoke free, and what freedom it is!
      I kept busy, distracted, watched some inspirational movies, wrote little notes/quotes of inspiration applicable to me and stuck them up around the house, and importantly, i kept the vision/reason's of why i'm giving up, at the forefront of my tricky little addictive mind. Keep the vision strong, clear, and right up there every second, and soon enough you'll be racking up the smoke free day's. I had to stay away from a lot of social situations and hibernate for a couple of months too, before i was strong enough to get back out there. I used the same technique for ditching the booze.
      Of course, it took me quite a few tries before i'd really had enough, at which point, i eventually stopped, and stayed stopped. Keep busy, walk/jog, drink water, and keep the vision as to why you want to stop, right up there in your head, clear as a bell.

You can do it! Best wishes.....

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I just quit (again!!) and am going through some of the old challenges. Chantix is WONDERFUL if you can get it and take it. I just finally got to a point where I said I'm NOT going to pour $6 a day into my grave. We just buried a close friend last weekend who died from lung cancer, even though he stopped a few years ago. I don't want to be the cautionary tale used to stop others, so I just quit. My Daddy did it, and he was my hero, so I just quit too. Yes, it's hard. But look around you, read your history. Putting down a cigarette shouldn't be the biggest challenge in life! And it may save yours.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Doggygirl;821249 wrote: The first 3 months without Nic were worse for me than the first 3 months without AL. Long term, AL is more challenging. But that's just me - it's a bit different for everyone.

I participated in www.quitnet.com when I first quit smoking. Several others here at MWO used that support site as well.

For me, the Nic cravings subsided greatly at around 100 days. (up to that point I was a raging b!tch non-stop!) Now I rarely have even a thought of smoking - it helps that there is virtually no smoking indoors anywhere any more in my town.

Like giving up AL, it was hard but totally worth it.

Go for it!

DG
          Thanks, DG.

I do know it will be totally worth it. It's just such a pain to go through those first few days - way worse than AL in my opinion. I remember just being so uncomfortable and like a zombie. I must remember to give myself permission to be a biatch if that is what it takes. I did quit many, many years ago and that is what I did and I quit for many years.

Thanks for the site. I will check it out. And please all excuse me if I seem ornery in the next five days or so.

AD

Comment

rubywillow;821255 wrote: I just quit (again!!) and am going through some of the old challenges. Chantix is WONDERFUL if you can get it and take it. I just finally got to a point where I said I'm NOT going to pour $6 a day into my grave. We just buried a close friend last weekend who died from lung cancer, even though he stopped a few years ago. I don't want to be the cautionary tale used to stop others, so I just quit. My Daddy did it, and he was my hero, so I just quit too. Yes, it's hard. But look around you, read your history. Putting down a cigarette shouldn't be the biggest challenge in life! And it may save yours.
            Ruby,

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. That is what scares the crap outta me about smoking. One can quit and then down the road get lung cancer, whereas with AL the healing takes place immediately.

Yes, I must do this and hang in there on your end too!

AD

Comment

Unlike alcohol, the cravings do disappear more or less completely eventually. I'm sure everyone has a different timespan for that to happen however when I gave up I was consoled with the thought that it would go completely. I agree drinking and smoking are soooo linked it should be that bit easier that you're dumping both?! I'm 20 years NF however and to this day I can't see any point in having a cup of coffee cos I haven't got a ciggie!! I think I've just made a lie of my whole post???
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

AD,
                I'm sure you know what you're doing, but careful with the sleeping pill's.......;-)

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista;821254 wrote: G'day AD,
                  Yep, been there, and about 15 yrs smoke free, and what freedom it is!
                  I kept busy, distracted, watched some inspirational movies, wrote little notes/quotes of inspiration applicable to me and stuck them up around the house, and importantly, i kept the vision/reason's of why i'm giving up, at the forefront of my tricky little addictive mind. Keep the vision strong, clear, and right up there every second, and soon enough you'll be racking up the smoke free day's. I had to stay away from a lot of social situations and hibernate for a couple of months too, before i was strong enough to get back out there. I used the same technique for ditching the booze.
                  Of course, it took me quite a few tries before i'd really had enough, at which point, i eventually stopped, and stayed stopped. Keep busy, walk/jog, drink water, and keep the vision as to why you want to stop, right up there in your head, clear as a bell.

You can do it! Best wishes.....
                  Thanks, Guitarista!

Good for you that you've been smoke-free for 15 years! That is how long I've been smoking! Prior to that I'd quit for 10 or 15 years. I think I'll put stickies up all over. Good idea. I do enjoy smoking and it doesn't bother my breathing but I just don't like the fact it's taken years off my life and I want to be done with it.

I think the walking is a great idea too. I'll watch movies too. I don't have to go anywhere so I can just hibernate, which is a good thing.

AD

Comment

Get some commit lozenges or nic gum to have on hand if you get a really bad craving to take the edge off. I think it really does help. Accept any help you can. Even though it is nicotine, it's still better than smoking & inhaling all that crap. I kept lozenges in my purse. Just knowing they were there really kept my panic level down. Plus they dissolve slowly & stay in your system for about 30 minutes after you finish one, so it gets you over a hurdle. Walmart & those types of stores make their own store brands which are cheaper. Get the higher nic levels to start. I'm not a big gum chewer, so the lozenges were better for me. They helped a lot & I was a horrible smoker for a lot of years. (Just like Judy Garland without the talent! . . . ;-)

It will be a bit easier now that you just can't do it anywhere in public anymore - that is a big help since you're just not around smokers in restaurants, etc. I was in a shop the other day & a guy came in behind me who reeked & I thought - jeez - I probably used to smell like that - so glad I don't now!

Comment

Guitarista;821260 wrote: AD,
                      I'm sure you know what you're doing, but careful with the sleeping pill's.......;-)
                      Thanks, no worries. I've been on them for two years now. I just am low so I've been saving them for this quit.

Comment

Funny Girl;821267 wrote: Get some commit lozenges or nic gum to have on hand if you get a really bad craving to take the edge off. I think it really does help. Accept any help you can. Even though it is nicotine, it's still better than smoking & inhaling all that crap. I kept lozenges in my purse. Just knowing they were there really kept my panic level down. Plus they dissolve slowly & stay in your system for about 30 minutes after you finish one, so it gets you over a hurdle. Walmart & those types of stores make their own store brands which are cheaper. Get the higher nic levels to start. I'm not a big gum chewer, so the lozenges were better for me. They helped a lot & I was a horrible smoker for a lot of years. (Just like Judy Garland without the talent! . . . ;-)

It will be a bit easier now that you just can't do it anywhere in public anymore - that is a big help since you're just not around smokers in restaurants, etc. I was in a shop the other day & a guy came in behind me who reeked & I thought - jeez - I probably used to smell like that - so glad I don't now!
                        Thanks, FG.

I do have the patch here if things get real bad. I may sound weird, but I want to experience the full impact of the withdrawal so I don't take up smoking again. It's that bad that if I get through it I will stay quit this time. I did quit for six weeks a few years ago and then for seven weeks a couple of years ago but I let men interfere with my quit. This time there is no one to interfere and I don't care if I gain ten lbs. What matters is being done with the cigarettes.

AD

Comment

Very encouraging post. Thanks. I have been smoking for 33 years and after giving up alcohol, I am smoking alot more, up to 2 packs a day. I can't imagine not having my pot of coffee with my cigs every morning. I will be curious how you do and hopefully you can inspire me to quit, cause like you, I hate it and it is a waste of money, just like alcohol is!
                          I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
                          but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Yes, let yourself gain the weight - it's the only way. Your body will begin to adjust again later & you can lose again more easily once the cigs are gone.

I quit on & off for a good 10 years before I stopped. At my worst I smoked 3 packs a day! Anyway, I would suggest that part of the issue is having something to do with those hands all the time - make soup (low cal and it takes a long time to eat). Have chopped veggies handy with ranch dressing - whatever ones you like - celery, carrots. If veggies are no good - we're on to spring - grapes, strawberries - slice into pieces & dip in fat free yogurt. slice into pieces so it seems like you have more pieces. It's all about the activity . . . .Plus all that chopping & slicing & stuff gives you something to do which takes time. As the weather gets nicer it gets easier.

Comment

sick of being sick,

I can't even imagine getting through the night without a cigarette. I am up smoking every two hours. Of course coffee and cigs go together so looks like I'll be having Chai Latte instead.

FG,

The weather is great here now so no reason I can't be outside walking. I can always take up crocheting again too. I think the worst part of it is going to be handling the moods. I've read that cranberry juice hastens the withdrawal process (and intensifies it) so I may go get some juice to speed things up, even if it's worse. Once the withdrawals are past (the physical ones), it's not that tough to manage I have found. It's just getting through them, just like AL.

Thanks both for your comments!

AD

Comment

Working...
                              X