Sober dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober dating

That sounds nice. I was thinking about South Bank where all the buskers are and an *impulsive* jaunt on the London Eye. :H
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Sober dating

I think that would be lovely. Plus a bit of people watching is always good fun :-)
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Sober dating

Hey Marshy
        I dont know whether you use faebook or not but im a member of the page "I know this great little place in London" and people ask for all sorts of ideas on it and get great responses. I have my "sober date" too in London in a couple of weeks and he likes music so im going to take him to the British Music experience at the O2.
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Sober dating

Been out of the dating game for a while so not in touch lol.
          There must be some coffee shops/cafes to go to in the London area at day or night.
          The place never sleeps.
          Starbucks is always a good place to chill and watch life go by.
          Mines a Venti Mocha mmmm hmmmm :-)
          Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Sober dating

Marshy,

Maybe, we should all come with you in case you need a chaperone.

I was born in London and lived in Kent until 5 years ago. I love the London Eye, the London Aquarium, the art galleries, the museums at South Ken....everything.

I was last in London in 2008 and took my mum to see "Phantom of the Opera" at the Prince of Wales theatre.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time.

Spam xx

Comment

Sober dating

:H:H:H
              Spam has conjured up such images in my mind I cant stop laughing...
              Can you imagine the poor girl turning up to us lot all enthusiatically rhyming off all the great coffee bars in London...
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Sober dating

It would be like one of those guided walking tours :H:H
                sigpic

Comment

Sober dating

I think you'll not have a problem with things to choose from Marshy. Here's what I would worry about. The sober part. Sober and nervous. How long will the event last? I ask because um, well just how long can you walk and talk? What if it rains? Personally, while a walk along the river would be lovely, maybe going somewhere to see something first would be good so there is subject matter. THEN the walk.

Ermmm.. when do we get to pick what you wear?
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Sober dating

Greenie, I'm kind of hoping she's not a big drinker, if at all. She's a serious fitness nut so I'm guessing alcohol doesn't play much part in that. So I doubt she's going to want to hunker down in a pub all evening. And if we go for a drink or meal there's no way I'm going to drink even if she does and even though I'll be nervous.

I've e-mailed a pic of a possible date shirt to a friend and she approves. Dunno about letting you lot loose on it :H
                    sigpic

Comment

Sober dating

Hi Marshy. I totally agree with Mario that the idea of doing stuff without drinking (a date or otherwise) is way more our issue than the person with whom we are going out on a date with.

As others have said, lots of people drink and lots just don't -- even those who never had issues or drinking "problems." I'd just keep it light and say, "I don't drink alcohol." Save the heavy stuff for later if this turns into a relationship. It's like not discussing your "ex" with a first date -- same type of deal.

Just keep it light and fun. Honestly you can do anything and everything you would normally do, just not drink! I have no idea what stage of your recovery you are in, but certainly even a pub serves non-alcoholic stuff? I would tend to agree that there's no way it would/could be fun to go on a date and have her drink and you not drink...But pubs offer conversation, music, etc. We tend to see everything through the lens of alcohol...Others do not.

I have a friend who is dating -- does not have alcohol problems -- she always seems to meet up for coffee the first time!

Good luck!!

Comment

Sober dating

Marshy;822624 wrote: Greenie, I'm kind of hoping she's not a big drinker, if at all. She's a serious fitness nut so I'm guessing alcohol doesn't play much part in that. So I doubt she's going to want to hunker down in a pub all evening. And if we go for a drink or meal there's no way I'm going to drink even if she does and even though I'll be nervous.

I've e-mailed a pic of a possible date shirt to a friend and she approves. Dunno about letting you lot loose on it :H
                        :H I didn't mean to imply drinking. Just the sober dating part and having plenty to do. I remember going to an event downtown with a couple GFs and one went home early so the other one looked at me and said well it's early, what do you want to do, go back downtown? We were really through with the event, so I said since I quit drinking, I have no idea what people do at night. We went for tea and desert. It might have been my birthday now that I think about it. Of course that's a whole diff situation with old-time friends VS a date.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sober dating

MauMcL;822628 wrote: We tend to see everything through the lens of alcohol...Others do not.
                          Yep, ain't that the truth!
                          sigpic

Comment

Sober dating

greeneyes;822639 wrote: since I quit drinking, I have no idea what people do at night.
                            That's how I felt about dating. I have no idea what people do if they don't get hammered. Any "firsts" we do after quitting are initially a bit odd, I've found, and then it becomes normal to do them without alcohol. First holiday, first Christmas, first birthday, first date...
                            It's just getting through that first time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sober dating

Marshy,

Good luck with this. You'll be fine I'm sure. I'm proud of you for going for it. :goodjob:

I have this mental picture of a bunch of MWO'ers following you all over London, like the people in a certain cell phone commercial. "Your network"

The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Sober dating

LVT25;822646 wrote: Marshy,

Good luck with this. You'll be fine I'm sure. I'm proud of you for going for it. :goodjob:

I have this mental picture of a bunch of MWO'ers following you all over London, like the people in a certain cell phone commercial. "Your network"

:H ME TOO!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X