Into the fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Into the fire

I survived, but barely. Yesterday was the first men's hockey tournament I have been in since going sober. The culture is to have a beer before the game, several after the game. To have a few beers in between games, to go to a big party stay up all night long, and then do it again the next day. These are major cues, major, for me to party like crazy and drink 25 beers in a day.

Well I said no thanks to the beer, I said things like "I'm OK thanks", or "not now thanks". I still don't feel anywhere near ready to say I don't drink. I drank from a water bottle (with water in it), between games - a lot of the guys put their beer water bottles, so it was a bit of a disguise for me I guess. I made a lot of observations, here are some.

- I never really realised how strong the beer breath is on someone who has been drinking for a while
    - I am a better hockey player sober (scored a game winning goal)
    - the social cues and cravings are something that I never expected, I am glad I came home to my family last night, but I missed the all night party and get together - those used to be hi-lights of the tourneys for me - I thought about going sober but chose not to
    - I had fun sober, and will do it again today
    - I am glad I am rested
    - I am slowly starting to look at that drinking way of life from a different point of view, and I think that is a good thing

Thanks for listening,
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Into the fire

That is absolutely wonderful Hill - you should be really proud of yourself - that was a very hard situation to not drink in, as far as I can see - you go!!!!
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Into the fire

Congradulations Hill...You are a inspiration to many here who do not see past the drink.....We can all do everything we did before but only better without al in our lives.
      :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

Into the fire

Hey Hilside - Well done on staying strong. Reading over your post can you just see how many wonderful things came about because you stayed sober!! Awesome job
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Into the fire

hillsidetime, every bump you get over the further up the road you get on this AF journey. Wishing you the best.
          runningwind
          The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Into the fire

good going Hillside - you will get used to being sober when going out and so will the people you are with.

good for you
            It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Into the fire

wow..not sure i would have made it....
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Into the fire

Good for you Hillside!
                You just may end up motivating others to follow in your footsteps
                Keep up the good work, you won't be sorry.
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Into the fire

Hi Hill,

Well done. Isn't it awesome making these observations and being so proud of yourself for sticking to your non drinking amidst this environment?!!! Lst time around when I got some more time under my belt I actually started to enjoy the odd party and watching other people make total fools out of themselves when they were drunk! i'm more cautious this time around though to stay out of the danger zone. it's too easy for me to just give in.

But really well done. When the realisation comes that one can enjoy themselves without the drink a great step towards victory over alcoholism is made. I firmly believe that
                  AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Into the fire

Hi everyone, thanks for your words of encouragement and insight - I really do appreciate it. Well I made it through the second day of the tourney sober, my team won the entire tourney and I just didn't attend the big booze fest party last night. I knew exactly what the party would be like, it would be like the one last year and the year before...and frankly I had no interest in going sober.

If I was gassed and going to drink all night I would have gone for sure - and certainly I would have done something really stupid, I would be hangover now, my wife would be mad at me, and I would be wasting another Sunday wating to hear stories from people about how drunk I was.

Thanks again, and yes I do feel like that was a major hurdle, and I did it. I am starting to get some forward inertia it seems for an af life, I hope I can keep it going.
                    Hill
                    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Into the fire

Hi Hill,

What a creative way of avoiding questions about no AL, put water in your bottle when everyone else puts their beer in theirs. You have inspired me with your story today....I have a challenge with work this week. My client really likes to party and I will come up with a creative way to turn down the booze when it's offered to me. Thanks for the uplifting message today, and kudos to you!!!

Rusty

Comment

Working...
                      X