Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a prescription?

Hi,

I just came across this site today and feel quite optimistic given what I've read. I am looking at the vitamin packages and hoped to get some input. I'm thinking of buying the most expensive starter kit because I don't think I'll get a prescription...don't want to ask my doc for it and just read the thread about Topomax causing depression. Definitely don't need that!
    So I'm looking for feedback. Do you think this can be done without a prescription?

Thanks!

Hi, 4MyHealth, welcome!

I used only supplements, vitamins, etc, and am over 7 months AF (alcohol free) now. I used the hypnosis CDs, which I found helpful, even though I didn't buy them until a few months in (could not afford them at first). Keep reading, get a plan together, check out the Toolbox Thread (I think it's in monthly abstinence, someone else will know for sure). Good luck on your journey - you will not regret it! :h
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

:welcome: 4MyHealth.

Click on the link below and it will get you straight to the tool box.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I just used the supplements and the vitamins too and I'm just over 8 months AF.

Best of luck on your journey.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Jackie and Dancelot,

Thank you so much for your reply!! They leave me feeling so hopeful!! I'm going to give it a shot w/o prescription. Congrats to both of you on your accomplishments being AF!

Comment

4MyHealth - I'll add I jumped right in (with a plan in place), committed to it by doing it one day at a time (or one hour or minute at a time). Your screen name was my reason for needing to stop - it still helps to remember the "why" should I ever get the idea drinking maybe "wasn't such a bad thing". I looked at what worked for people and followed their examples, as well as what wasn't working for others and tried to avoid the pitfalls. I also drank for 36 years, so if I can do it, I know you can too! I wasn't sure that was even was possible before finding MWO, which has been a real blessing. :h
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Dancelot,

So you say "with a plan in place". What does that mean? I'd like to try 30 days of abstinence, but have some social events coming up, so that will be tough. Anyhow, what was your plan in place, if you don't mind sharing.

Comment

Found a thread on Plan in Place, so I've figured it out. Thanks!

Comment

4MyHealth -

For most of us, certain times of day, situations, holidays, etc, are possible triggers for drinking. Especially at first, we have to be consciously aware of them. For example, many of us feel awkward in social situations, and have always used having a drink as a way to feel comfortable (except it's never just one!). We may fear what others will think if we don't take a drink when offered one (nobody cares, except us). Do you drink at home, in bars, after work, on Fridays, or Sundays?

For a party situation, it helps to decide in advance to have a soft drink or sparkling water, something non alcoholic. It looks like a drink to anyone else. I found I am just used to carrying and sipping on something liquid (I never would have guessed how big a deal this was to me). Even at home, I found it helpful to have a bottle (or more) of flavored sparkling water available in the evenings when I used to drink wine. What's funny is, one night I ran out early, and felt that desperation I got if I ran out of wine after the liquor store closed.

You also want a plan for if someone asks why you aren't drinking. "I'm on medication, I'm trying to lose weight, or I'm the designated driver" are good ones. In fact, actually being the designated driver is a good one. Generally, no one cares. Most people do not drink the way we do, and alcohol does not hold the same importance to them as it does to us. You may be surprised to see how long one drink lasts with a normal drinker. Attending a party sober you will also see that the heavy drinkers are not near as funny as previously thought.

For everyday, it helps to have a list of things to do that are not drinking. A lot of us don't know what to do with ourselves anymore that doesn't involve drinking. The list gives us immediate options for when cravings hit - when we talk of a day, hour, or minute at a time. Exercise, even a short walk around the block is an example. Cleaning out a drawer, cooking something that takes some time (and being sober when finished actually cleaning up), taking up a new or neglected hobby or class.

There's also a saying "HALT" that I like - it stands for "hungry, angry, lonely, tired" - which are often triggers. When you feel the urge to drink, ask yourself if any of these is what's really going on. Hunger was a big one for me - how often did I want a cold one or a glass of wine after a long day? Eat first - it's surprising how much of it was that (I probably liked that extra kick of AL on an empty stomach!). Also eating a healthy diet, along with the supplements is helpful.

If you see alcohol as a treat or reward, replace it with a different one. Good chocolate or some edible treat, a hot bath with scented candles, buying yourself flowers, a massage. Doing something special for yourself every evening (that was my drinking time) helps us not feel deprived.

These are some suggestions. I know there are more on this forum. Many people spend time here to replace drinking time. It helped me a lot especially at first. My first AF night, I spent 6-8 hours in chat. If nothing else, it kept me from going out and buying more wine (I didn't have any left).

Hope that helps!

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

4MyHealth;826281 wrote: Found a thread on Plan in Place, so I've figured it out. Thanks!
                  Good deal! Lots of great stuff on this forum - and if you can't find it, just ask. Take care! :h

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                  X